Best Song Survivor: Early 80s Quarterfinal Round One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To add to my list of studio versions being glorified demos, I name the following:

Dirty Day
One Tree Hill
Kite
Hawkmoon 269
Desire
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
In God's Country

Dirty Day, absolutely. The studio version's not much at all, but fuck, the live version is amazing. If the studio version were that good, it would be my second favourite song on Zooropa, just behind the title track.

Incidentally, I'm not surprised NYD hasn't received a vote yet, but I'm amused An Cat Dubh is the only other voteless song.

djerdap said:
To add to my list of studio versions being glorified demos, I name the following:

Dirty Day
One Tree Hill
Kite
Hawkmoon 269
Desire
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
In God's Country

One Tree Hill, Desire, Horses, In God's Country "glorifies demos"? :eyebrow: I think you have shit copies, my friend.

I love Kite studio but there's no doubt the Vertigo versions blew it outta the water.

One Tree Hill, Desire, Horses, In God's Country "glorifies demos"? :eyebrow: I think you have shit copies, my friend.

When compared to their magnificent live counterparts (Lovetown Desire, Point Depot One Tree Hill, early ZooTV versions of Horses), then yeah. Especially One Tree Hill that sounds like it was recorded under water.

Axver said:
I think the really baffling bit is that it was already better live when they did that studio version. I guess it might've just been inexperience in the studio?

Martin Hannett's "fault".

:ohmy: I haven't listened to 11 O Clock Tick Tock in a very long time, time to fix that. Voted for Drowning Man, though it may be a good one. not a huge fan of the song personally.

Axver said:
The other material recorded prior to Boy is not exactly sensational studio work either, though, and that had nothing to do with Hannett.

It's not about being good or bad. Martin was JD's producer and U2 was conscious looking for that kind of sound in that song.

Back
Top Bottom