Best Song Survivor: Early 80s Quarterfinal Round Four

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Tomorrow was defeated in the last round, leaving seven songs competing for five slots in the 1980s semifinal round. You have 24 hours to vote for your least favorite song, the next song to be kicked out of this contest. For anyone just joining us, rules may be found here.

I love An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, but to me it doesn't compare to all of the others on the list. Voting it until it's gone. :wink:

It's gonna be An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart or Out of Control. I'm not sure yet....

I'm not sure how to vote. This is a very strong list of songs, even though it lacks my two favorite from the era. :(

When people here consider 11 O'Clock Tick Tock as a contender, is the studio version really the first thing that comes into their mind? I'm pretty sure a lot more people know the song first and foremost from Under a Blood Red Sky and not from an obscure, out-of-print single.

When people here consider 11 O'Clock Tick Tock as a contender, is the studio version really the first thing that comes into their mind? I'm pretty sure a lot more people know the song first and foremost from Under a Blood Red Sky and not from an obscure, out-of-print single.

Good for those people. When I think of 11 O Clock Tick Tock, I think of it as a horribly missed opportunity for what could have been a great studio track. Like if they'd just not re-recorded Twilight or Out of Control or Stories For Boys. Interesting, certainly. One of the best U2 songs? No way.

I like the live version just fine, but for whatever reason in my weird little mind, I think of the studio version for the purposes of these polls.

And also, what tourist said.

Let's see. 11 O Clock Tick Tock and The Electric Co. Both songs that are way better live than in the studio. However The Electric Co. studio version slaughters 11 O Clock Tick Tock quite easily.

I don't consider exclusively the studio or live versions of the songs, but more of a total impression the song has on me in general. I can't help but be influenced by both when I think about U2 songs. Maybe because they are one of the few bands I enjoy listening to live recordings of, and because live, so many of their songs take on new heights. Anyway, for my votes at least it's based on all the facets of the songs, no one single thing. :D

11 O'Clock Tick Tock @ Red Rocks is one of my favourite U2 moments. When I discovered U2, I was blown away by that performance, it's one of my earliest and most magical U2 moments.

11 O'Clock Tick Tock @ Red Rocks is one of my favourite U2 moments. When I discovered U2, I was blown away by that performance, it's one of my earliest and most magical U2 moments.

Yeah! It's things like that that can't be dismissed in my opinion when considering the songs.

That's my point - looking exclusively at a studio version of a song, especially in the case of one track whose live version is much more famous and recognizable, is somewhat conservative (for the lack of a better word). I've listened to the studio version of 11 O'Clock Tick Tock about five times in my life. I couldn't even start counting as to how many times I've listened to the Under a Blood Red Sky version over the years, or any of the other live ones. Bullet the Blue Sky is another example of a song that is probably in my top 5 of U2 tracks in general, but this is hardly based on the studio version alone.

I can dismiss whatever the hell I want, because we can base our decisions on whatever the hell we want. :tongue:

I can dismiss whatever the hell I want, because we can base our decisions on whatever the hell we want. :tongue:

Well of course. :) I was just saying how I base mine, because you had said how you base yours.

(I was meaning when I form my opinion, I personally can't dismiss the live influences in my head.)

I don't consider exclusively the studio or live versions of the songs, but more of a total impression the song has on me in general.

This.

That's my point - looking exclusively at a studio version of a song, especially in the case of one track whose live version is much more famous and recognizable, is somewhat conservative (for the lack of a better word). I've listened to the studio version of 11 O'Clock Tick Tock about five times in my life. I couldn't even start counting as to how many times I've listened to the Under a Blood Red Sky version over the years, or any of the other live ones. Bullet the Blue Sky is another example of a song that is probably in my top 5 of U2 tracks in general, but this is hardly based on the studio version alone.

And absolutely this.

Whatever I vote for in this round, I'm not going to be happy about it. Part of me is inclined to vote 11OTT just because, well, the studio version IS a letdown - but then the live version is a top five U2 song. Part of me is inclined to vote SBS, because by a hair I probably think it's weakest overall, especially if I allow myself to be influenced by its generally shitty post-eighties live performances.

And since when did the hive mind prefer An Cat Dubh to The Electric Co.? It is a fickle hive.

djerdap said:
That's my point - looking exclusively at a studio version of a song, especially in the case of one track whose live version is much more famous and recognizable, is somewhat conservative

then call me Mitt fucking Romney.

Rereading my previous posts I can see how it's possible it could have been misinterpreted like I was saying in my opinion people should consider live versions of the songs. :huh: Just clarifying I certainly wasn't saying that. Was saying that I can't dismiss them when forming my opinion. Just wanted to be clear! lol

I don't take any of this seriously. I thought adding the :tongue: smiley would make it clear that I don't really give a shit who votes for what or why. :)

the tourist said:
Let's see. 11 O Clock Tick Tock and The Electric Co. Both songs that are way better live than in the studio. However The Electric Co. studio version slaughters 11 O Clock Tick Tock quite easily.

This is true.

Glad to see 11 O Clock is probably on its way out.

Final five is probably going to be SBS/NYD/Gloria/OOC/An Cat Dubh, barring some crazy shift. Electric Co vs. An Cat Dubh should be interesting next round.

If 11 O Clock Tick Tock goes, I'll be casting my vote to Out of Control.

Back
Top Bottom