Best Song Survivor: Boy Round Six

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And mentally bracing myself for when my second favorite song off October gets gutted. I still cannot fathom for the life of me why people do so hate Is That All? To me it's one of their most rocking early songs and I love love love the guitar work.
I think it's one of their very worst efforts, including awful lyrics.

A lot of the early lyrics taken out of the music are pretty awful though. And you can't count album placement against a particular song when rating a song. You can count it against an album, sure, but counting it against the song as though it's the song's fault it's placed where it is is just silly.

I really love the lyrics on Boy, in or out of context. October has some clunkers though, for sure.

Holy hell, this has officially gotten tougher and this is just the first album. I missed the last round, but it doesn't really matter. I'm going to have to vote for An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart.

the tourist said:
And mentally bracing myself for when my second favorite song off October gets gutted. I still cannot fathom for the life of me why people do so hate Is That All? To me it's one of their most rocking early songs and I love love love the guitar work.

This. Also one of my favourites from October. I actually really love the lyrics. Clever and playful. In my top three on the album for sure.

the tourist said:

Well the guitar is taken from The Cry, but otherwise I agree. It's a fascinating glimpse into how much of a bitch it was to record October.

Well the guitar is taken from The Cry, but otherwise I agree. It's a fascinating glimpse into how much of a bitch it was to record October.

Yeah, but when has U2 not robbed itself or changed something around before putting it on an album?

What I don't understand is why they twisted The Cry into Is That All? when they had plenty of other finished songs to fill out the album. It's not like anybody would've been pissed off if they'd dug up Street Mission, The Fool, Life On A Distant Planet, or The Dream Is Over.

Going with Out of Control on this one, but it's not a decision about which I am happy. The others have too much going for them in terms of energy and interplay for me to choose anything else.

What I don't understand is why they twisted The Cry into Is That All? when they had plenty of other finished songs to fill out the album. It's not like anybody would've been pissed off if they'd dug up Street Mission, The Fool, Life On A Distant Planet, or The Dream Is Over.
Well, I'm glad none of those train wrecks made the album. They're (almost) just as bad as Is That All.

Well, I'm glad none of those train wrecks made the album. They're (almost) just as bad as Is That All.

Can't agree with that at all. The Dream Is Over in particular is fantastic. I'd rate it pretty high in U2's catalogue, and it's a travesty the band ultimately chose to use that dreadful Twilight demo as Another Day's b-side in lieu of the original candidate, The Dream Is Over.

Can't agree with that at all. The Dream Is Over in particular is fantastic. I'd rate it pretty high in U2's catalogue, and it's a travesty the band ultimately chose to use that dreadful Twilight demo as Another Day's b-side in lieu of the original candidate, The Dream Is Over.
I agree that The Dream Is Over is the best of the songs you've mentioned, but they all sound messy, unfinished ans chaotic to my ears.

As a fan of genres based around messy, chaotic lo-fi tunes, I guess we're never going to see eye-to-eye on this.

half the rockers on Achtung Baby share the same origin guitar wise

all of a sudden, the AB round has become something to almost look forward to
if according to that reason all those songs are not deemed uninteresting

I listened to Boy, October and War last weekend in one go
they are all great
October is still my favourite
and Is That All? is a lot better than I usually give it credit for

Back
Top Bottom