Best Song Survivor: Boy Round Seven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
This is the seventh and final round for Boy in the Best Song Survivor Series. Four songs remain, as Twilight was eliminated in the last round. The three songs not voted off in this round will advance to the early 1980s quarterfinal round. You have 24 hours to vote for your least favorite song, the next song to be kicked out of this contest. For anyone just joining us, rules may be found here.

I'm going to save my vote because I want I Will Follow and An Cat Dubh to make it through. So I'll vote whatever I need to to make that happen.

As long as An Cat Dubh and The Electric Co. make it through, I'm not fussed which of IWF or OOC fails to proceed. Well, honestly, I'd like all of these four to go through, but I view IWF and OOC as basically equal in quality, so it's pretty much a toss-up which I vote for.

Fully expect An Cat Dubh to sadly perish though. Would be a hoot if it made the finals at the expense of one of the big three from this album. Don't think it has been a finalist before?

I think ATD/ITH has a very strong chance of besting I Will Follow out to quarterfinals.

I suppose having it compete as the full song rather than as two separate tracks is helping its cause this time around.

I Will Follow should proceed. I've heard it hundreds of times, but it's still a great song. That guitar riff:drool:

My vote goes to Out of Control. I like all of the remaining songs though.

Given it's been such a fan favourite for so long here, I'll be stunned if The Electric Co. is ousted in favour of any of the songs here. Looks like it might happen too. :uhoh:

Has the fickle hive mind turned?

Well damn. I don't know what to vote for.

I fuckin' love TEC, and OOC. But IWF and ACD are such good songs too.

Must think this over.

Edit; okay TEC's ass is on the line. IWF it is then!

Hm, Electric Co. might finally get out. What's not to love about I Will Follow? Those drums! That guitar! The little chime-y sounds throughout the chorus! But I guess I can see how it might not do much for some people... maybe it's been overplayed.

An Cat Dubh deserves to get ahead... Haunting song, and I take it it doesn't usually get this far?

An Cat Dubh deserves to get ahead... Haunting song, and I take it it doesn't usually get this far?

Yeah, it's normally done respectably in Boy rounds but missed out on the finals.

The very last time we ran Survivor, though, it was via a quite different method and that was I think the only time An Cat Dubh made significant progress. That was in 2009, and it was single rounds for each era, multiple choice, with the top-scoring songs going through (e.g. six from the Boy era). An Cat Dubh made it through the early eighties quarter final into the eighties semi, but failed to progress further.

Interestingly enough, in the eighties semi, The Electric Co. just beat Sunday Bloody Sunday and Pride (!) for the twelfth and final eighties spot in the grand final. It was the only Boy song to get that far; Gloria and New Year's Day were the only other pre-UF finalists.

I might reprise that format of Survivor some point in the future, once the dust settles from this tournament.

Looks like An Cat Dubh is progressing! Happy Days!

I presume votes cast at previous tribal councils will be decisive if it's a tie? Which'd give the edge to Electrico.

Why would it? I disagree. It should be redone to only IWF v EC, that way there can be no dilution by ppl voting ACD or OOC. Now that those 2 are safe, it should be a new vote btwn two songs only for the third spot

"I will follow" could be the "One" of Boy.Great song,but overdose of it live,compare to the remaining 3 songs.

Ridiculous. I Will Follow is the only song off Boy that can actually lead off a set, the one song that when it fires up unmistakably screams "U2 is HERE". There is no way this song doesn't deserve to be top 3, or that it is being sacrificed for Electric Co. Insanity.

Ridiculous. I Will Follow is the only song off Boy that can actually lead off a set, the one song that when it fires up unmistakably screams "U2 is HERE". There is no way this song doesn't deserve to be top 3, or that it is being sacrificed for Electric Co. Insanity.

I'm not speaking on behalf of the entire u2 fan base,just "my" preference.Which i tought that survivor game was about.

:|

I'm not speaking on behalf of the entire u2 fan base,just "my" preference.Which i tought that survivor game was about.

:|

Yep. Pretty much my take too. I realize the importance IWF has on U2's history, but that's not the voting criteria for this poll. It's the same reason why "Pride" won't win the "Unforgettable Fire" album poll or "One" for "Achtung Baby".

Why is ACD/ITH so loved around here?
Am I missing something? Compared to Electric Co......:huh: hello???

Why, just why......?

The guitar work. To me, it was The Edge's first masterpiece. Whenever I listen to the song, every other instrument, including vocals, is simply complimenting The Edge's brilliance.

I still think I Will Follow is the best song on the album. It has a lot going for it: energetic, passionate, immediate, and works great live as well. The chorus is infectious to top it all off. I'm voting for Out of Control again.

I still think I Will Follow is the best song on the album. It has a lot going for it: energetic, passionate, immediate, and works great live as well. The chorus is infectious to top it all off. I'm voting for Out of Control again.

I agree with almost all of this. It's a shame if it goes.

x2

I love I Will Follow, don't get me wrong. But is it as good as An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart? No, that's an early U2 masterpiece - I think mikal's fairly well on the money. And almost nothing in U2's catalogue is as good as The Electric Co.

Ridiculous. I Will Follow is the only song off Boy that can actually lead off a set, the one song that when it fires up unmistakably screams "U2 is HERE"

Which is why it has literally never opened a set ever?

I don't really know if I can properly explain why An Cat Dubh is a classic...just listen to the damn thing. It's an epic, sprawling masterpiece that manages to span nearly 7 minutes without losing steam at any point. Edge's guitar work is brilliant, the lyrics are haunting and evocative...the fact that a band at U2's stage of development was able to pull off a song like that is astounding.

I feel almost as strongly about OOC and Electric Co.

Back
Top Bottom