Best Song Survivor: Boy Round I

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for your LEAST FAVOURITE song

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for your LEAST FAVOURITE song.

Welcome to the very first round of Best Song Survivor! The object of this game is to find Interference's favourite U2 song. To do so, songs will be eliminated album-by-album in 24 hour long rounds to leave the favourites to contest a final that will determine the very favourite. Only original U2 songs with official studio releases will compete. Due to dominating past tournaments and the inevitable likelihood that they will do the same this time, Where The Streets Have No Name and One are not in the tournament and can be assumed default equal #1 over and above the ultimate winner. This initial round is the first round for Boy. Below is an explanation of how the tournament will work.

The tournament will have nineteen qualifying groups: the twelve standard albums, Passengers, and six miscellaneous groups of non-album songs (1978-81, 1982-85, 1987-89, 1991-97, 2000-02, 2004-06 [possibly 2004-09]). Each group is seeded so that more popular albums send more songs to the finals. Seeding is determined by placing in the Worst Album Survivor, as it gave a clear ranking without any ties. The top four albums will send four songs to the finals; they are The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, and Pop. The middle four albums will send three songs to the finals; they are Boy, War, Zooropa, and ATYCLB. The bottom three albums will send two songs to the finals; they are October, RAH, and HTDAAB. The two albums not in the Survivor, Passengers and NLOTH, and the miscellaneous groupings will send two songs to the finals. While regular albums will all be contested by an elimination vote, the miscellaneous groups and Passengers will be contested by a single round in which you have a multiple choice selection for your favourite songs, preferably no more than five, and the top two proceed to the finals.

The finalists will contest a semi-final series broken by decade. Due to the abundance of eighties albums, they will also contest a quarter-finals series. Thus Boy, October, and War will contest a quarter-final and UF, JT, and RAH will contest another quarter final, with the top four from each proceeding to the eighties semi-final, where the finalists from the three eighties miscellaneous categories will meet them. The nineties semi-final will feature the finalists from the three nineties albums, Passengers, and one miscellaneous category; the 2000s semi-final will feature the finalists from the three 2000s albums and two miscellaneous categories. The eighties, nineties, and 2000s finals will then send their top four tracks to the ultimate final, where the top twelve tracks will battle it out for supremacy.

That may sound confusing, but it's actually a logical progression. Individual albums (--> eighties quarter-finals) --> era semi-finals --> grand final.

The schedule, assuming no ties, will be as follows:
BOY: 8 rounds [3 songs proceed]
OCTOBER: 9 rounds [2 songs proceed]
WAR: 7 rounds [3 songs proceed]
EARLY EIGHTIES QUARTER-FINAL: 4 rounds [4 songs proceed]
THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE: 6 rounds [4 songs proceed
THE JOSHUA TREE: 6 rounds [4 songs proceed]
RATTLE AND HUM: 7 rounds [2 songs proceed - only studio songs compete]
LATE EIGHTIES QUARTER-FINAL: 6 rounds [4 songs proceed]
1978-81 NON-ALBUM: 1 round [2 songs proceed]
1982-85 NON-ALBUM: 1 round [2 songs proceed]
1987-89 NON-ALBUM: 1 round [2 songs proceed]
EIGHTIES SEMI-FINAL: 10 rounds [4 songs proceed]
ACHTUNG BABY: 7 rounds [4 songs proceed]
ZOOROPA: 7 rounds [3 songs proceed]
PASSENGERS: 1 round [2 songs proceed]
POP: 8 rounds [4 songs proceed]
1991-97 NON-ALBUM: 1 round [2 songs proceed]
NINETIES SEMI-FINAL: 11 rounds [4 songs proceed]
ATYCLB: 8 rounds [3 songs proceed]
HTDAAB: 9 rounds [2 songs proceed]
NLOTH: 9 rounds [2 songs proceed]
2000-02 NON-ALBUM: 1 round [2 songs proceed]
2004-09 NON-ALBUM: 1 round [2 songs proceed]
2000S SEMI-FINAL: 7 rounds [4 songs proceed]
GRAND FINAL: 11 rounds [1 winner]
Total rounds: 147

I will post the miscellaneous categories in the next post for your perusal, in the hope that if I have omitted anything, somebody will notice.

Here we go! Enjoy, folks.

Sorry, forum froze as I was submitting the poll.

Anyway, below are the non-album groupings. Remember, only officially released U2 songs are included - covers are out, as are tracks with no official release, hence the absence of Mercy or Wild Irish Rose. If I've missed anything, please let me know!

1978-81
Street Mission
The Fool
Boy/Girl
Another Day
11 O'clock Tick Tock
Touch
Things To Make And Do
Saturday Night
Speed Of Life
J. Swallow

1982-85
A Celebration
Trash, Trampoline And The Party Girl
Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop?)
Endless Deep
Angels Too Tied To The Ground
Boomerang I
Boomerang II
Love Comes Tumbling
The Three Sunrises
Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come
Bass Trap

1987-89
Luminous Times
Walk To The Water
Silver And Gold
Sweetest Thing '87
Silver And Gold
Race Against Time
Deep In The Heart
Beautiful Ghost
Drunk Chicken
Desert Of Our Love
Wave Of Sorrow
Rise Up
Hallelujah Here She Comes
A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel

1991-98
Lady With The Spinning Head
Where Did It All Go Wrong?
Salome
Alex Descends Into Hell
Slow Dancing '93
Bottoms
Viva Davidoff
Holy Joe (Garage Mix)
Holy Joe (Guily Mix)
North And South Of The River
Slow Dancing '97
Two Shots Of Happy
Sweetest Thing '98

2000-02
Stateless
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Love You Like Mad
Levitate
Flower Child
Summer Rain
Always
Big Girls Are Best
The Hands That Built America
Electrical Storm

2004-06 [2004-09?]
Are You Gonna Wait Forever
Smile
Native Son
Xanax And Wine
Window In The Skies
Alt. All Because Of You
Alt. SYCMIOYO
Alt. Yahweh
Any non-album NLOTH tracks

I'm saving my vote. Stories For Boys is my least favorite here, but I want to protect Shadows And Tall Trees.

I like every song on this album. I think it's stunningly consistent. Indeed, I'd say I love at least nine of the songs here.

Unfortunately for The Ocean, it's the one track that I think shouldn't have been included on the album, as good as it may be. It's inexplicable that 11 O'clock Tick Tock is not here.

The Ocean for me. Not only is it my least favorite, but it is also the best chance of preserving Shadows and Tall Trees.

axver, for lwtsh, is it going to be the original uv1 version or the extended super awesome dance mix?

I thought about that. I'm open to suggestions. I'm inclined to say it's just the original and that there will be no remixes in the tournament (except Holy Joe, since it has no "original" version). Including the Extended Dance Remix would leave the door open to "where's the Junk Day Mix of Dirty Day?" or "where's the Hard Metal Dance Mix of God Part II?" or whatever.

That said, since LWTSH's Extended Dance Remix is in fact better known and there is essentially a unanimous consensus that it is superior, it may be sensible to simply not have the original at all and let the remix take its place, as an exception to the standard rule.

(Also, this makes me realise that perhaps we should have the William Orbit mix of Electrical Storm as well as the original ...)

That said, since LWTSH's Extended Dance Remix is in fact better known and there is essentially a unanimous consensus that it is superior, it may be sensible to simply not have the original at all and let the remix take its place, as an exception to the standard rule.

(Also, this makes me realise that perhaps we should have the William Orbit mix of Electrical Storm as well as the original ...)

Maybe for those two, both versions could be represented? I mean, The Sweetest Thing is on here twice, isn't it?

people voting for i will follow, twilight, an cat dubh and another time, another place?

you're fucking crazy.

Seconded.

The Ocean for me. Not only is it my least favorite, but it is also the best chance of preserving Shadows and Tall Trees.

Yeah, I don't get why this forum isn't so keen on SATT. I think it's a good closer.

yeah, i remember we did that last time. so that's cool.

oh, and and and and what about the demo of twilight? :hyper:

OK, LWTSH will be the Extended Dance Remix due to forum consensus and its wider availability.

Hahaha, no way is the Twilight demo going to be in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom