Best Song Survivor: ATYCLB, Round Three - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: What is your least favorite song?
Beautiful Day 1 1.79%
Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of 6 10.71%
Elevation 11 19.64%
Walk On 1 1.79%
Kite 1 1.79%
In a Little While 2 3.57%
Wild Honey 28 50.00%
When I Look at the World 1 1.79%
New York 5 8.93%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
I wonder who keeps making hits of these songs like One and Elevation that U2 fans everywhere supposedly hate? And why does U2 insist on playing these songs that all those people in the crowd are sick of? Obviously they're way out of touch with their base and don't realize that 100,000 screaming people would rather be hearing Mofo and Mercy.

Though, you know despite all the enthusiastic jumping that surely can't be easy on a beer-filled bladder, I can't remember seeing many people head for the bathrooms during Elevation.

I'm beginning to think that "Interference World" is a better term than The Hive.
I think you're going too far to the other extreme with this argument.

Even amongst this "Interference World," almost everyone here likes One. Almost everyone here likes a lot of U2's hit singles: New Year's Day, Where the Streets Have No Name, songs like that. There is certainly a reactionary feeling towards the fact that they haven't changed the setlists as much as they could have, but at the end of the day, people here and everywhere like those songs.

At the same time, just because Elevation is well played and recognized by most concertgoers does not automatically mean that disliking the song makes you a snobbish diehard hipster fan, nor does it mean that you are part of message board groupthink where everyone has talked themselves into it being shitty because they're sad that the band never put Mercy on an album.

Elevation is three power chords, Bono singing about moles because "excavation" was the only thing he could think of that rhymed with "elevation," and its hook is everyone shouting "woo hoo!" together. You can't imagine a scenario where someone just doesn't like the song on its own merits?

Old 01-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
You can't imagine a scenario where someone just doesn't like the song on its own merits?
Of course. I can't remember, but I believe I was responding to comments along the lines of people getting "sick" of hearing Elevation (and One) in concert, and wishing they'd play something else. I really don't have any problem with whether people like the song or not. I'm tired of hearing several of U2's songs in concert, including a few that I love, but I understand why they play those and maybe not some I'd choose.

And I don't think they rotate set lists to appease casual fans. You can rotate the set list and still check the boxes on certain songs. I don't think it matters to casual fans much which order they play the songs, or which lesser known track they substitute one night for another (what difference does it make whether it's YBR or Scarlet they hear from the toilet)....as long as they get to hear most of the songs they came to hear.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #63
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:38 AM
Personally, Im more of a vole fan...
Old 01-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:38 AM
Quote:
They abandoned many of those new songs in the latter part of the tour when it became a greatest hits show. That should tell you all you need to know about who they are playing for.
The "new" songs were over two years old by the summer dates in 2011, and I'm pretty sure people would've been complaining about them still opening with Breathe if that had been the case then (and therefore, "not changing it up").

Quote:
Of course. I can't remember, but I believe I was responding to comments along the lines of people getting "sick" of hearing Elevation (and One) in concert, and wishing they'd play something else. I really don't have any problem with whether people like the song or not. I'm tired of hearing several of U2's songs in concert, including a few that I love, but I understand why they play those and maybe not some I'd choose.

And I don't think they rotate set lists to appease casual fans. You can rotate the set list and still check the boxes on certain songs. I don't think it matters to casual fans much which order they play the songs, or which lesser known track they substitute one night for another (what difference does it make whether it's YBR or Scarlet they hear from the toilet)....as long as they get to hear most of the songs they came to hear.
And that's just it. 90% of the people at shows want to hear Streets, One, or fill-in-the-blank. And if I'm not someone who follows the band religiously and goes to only one show on the tour, then I'd probably want to hear those songs too. That happens to me every time I see an act live who I'm a fan of, but might not own every album or know every song for. I'll enjoy the lesser-known songs or new ones too, though I won't be able to sing along for them and might just nod my head a bit. But if I like it enough and am willing to go through the effort, I'll look up a set list or memorize a lyric and find the song later on. Not everyone does that, but I'm sure a lot do, and might even become bigger fans as a result.

I'm sure people do that at U2 shows too, but I can understand the perspective of being a casual fan and wanting to see songs at the only show we go to. I'd think that most of us are in similar positions with bands we like, but not as much as this one obviously. And I'd bet it's pretty easy to lose that perspective when we look at set lists constantly or know the catalog as deeply as we do... not that there's anything wrong with that, but yeah.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #65
Refugee

Hey at least they played "Zooropa", "Moment Of Surrender" & "Your Blue Room"
Old 01-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLanePHINS View Post
Hey at least they played "Zooropa", "Moment Of Surrender" & "Your Blue Room"
Exactly. And pulling out other songs like Ultra Violet, HMTMKMKM, The Unforgettable Fire, and some new songs in 2010 along with Mercy isn't exactly playing it safe all the time either.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #67
Refugee

360 had a good balance. But I think they have enough well known songs that they could retire a popular song like Pride in exchange for another.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #68
Galeonbroad

Time to get rid of Suck in a moment now
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 01-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
Time to get rid of Suck in a moment now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Piss on Earth is much worse than Wild Honey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenG180 View Post
As for elevation.. It sucks donkey balls.
Charming. And so well put.

Exciting to have so many U2 "fans" in one place!

Stay classy!
Old 01-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #70
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:38 AM
Quote:

Exciting to have so many U2 "fans" in one place!
Locutus in the house.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #71
The Male

Local Time: 08:38 AM
Quote:
Shuttlecock!

Now.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm starting to think Nick wouldn't be such a bad guy if he dropped the act. What he's saying isn't so outlandish.
But I get it; he feels like it's him against the "Interference World". He probably feels like a diamond in the rough. A prince among the unwashed masses. A single marshmallow in a cruel box of Count Chocula.
But you still signed up for a U2 message board and all the shitting on people for high post counts isn't going to change this one important fact:

Might as well try to make some friends
Old 01-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #73
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:38 AM
I agree with Nick a lot more than I disagree with him, that's become clear the past week or so.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgreg View Post
Exactly. And pulling out other songs like Ultra Violet, HMTMKMKM, The Unforgettable Fire, and some new songs in 2010 along with Mercy isn't exactly playing it safe all the time either.
True. And I'm glad they pulled out all those songs (well maybe not Mercy). But let's face it, inserting a few lesser known songs in a set list full of hits isn't exactly being "courageous" either. Not that I expect much more than that, considering everything U2 has to accomplish in an evening's entertainment. I was personally disappointed that they dropped so many NLOTH songs in the later part of the tour, but there it is. They did that for a reason and I understood it, even if I disagreed with it. All of the 360 shows I saw were early on, so I was fine.

I kind of agree with Dig when he said U2 usually has a good balance. For me, sure I'd love it if they played some lesser known stuff. But even then, I'm sure the lesser known stuff I'd like to hear (TUF and JT b-sides, for example) are different than the lesser known stuff many others would want to hear. So U2 is in a tough spot...they have a deep catalogue to be sure, but have a big responsibility to play a certain "cannon" of songs and provide a massively entertaining show that people paid money (in some cases, a lot of money) to see. So I just have to accept that they're going to play One, again, no matter what and I'm probably not going to ever hear ASOH or Luminous Time or Love Comes Tumbling. During the Rate the Songs series, many here called those songs and others from the era "boring filler" and "drivel", and I'm sure they wouldn't be happy if U2 played those songs. Or an ambient selection from Passengers. But then again I probably wouldn't be happy if they played a lot from Pop. And they'd lose the casuals either way. So U2 has a tough order.

Again, there's a distinction between what I want as a fan, and U2's responsibilities to all the people attending a concert. They are professionals, after all. They don't show up drunk, or late, or play sloppy shows (for the most part), and don't indulge themselves in playing whatever they feel like (and God knows if we are sick of some of those songs they relative handful of times we've heard them, imagine how they feel). I'm sure everyone here would love it if they did the latter, but that's not who they are.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #75
The Male

Local Time: 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
I agree with Nick a lot more than I disagree with him, that's become clear the past week or so.
He saved a guy's life; he can't be all bad.

Now.