Best Song Survivor: ATYCLB, Round Six - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: What is your least favorite song?
Beautiful Day 1 1.89%
Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of 17 32.08%
Walk On 3 5.66%
Kite 1 1.89%
In a Little While 18 33.96%
When I Look at the World 13 24.53%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:03 PM
Best Song Survivor: ATYCLB, Round Six

The last round decided that Interference was not elevated by Elevation. Now remain six songs, on third of which shall have the esteemed privilege of advancing to the 2000s quarterfinal round. You have 24 hours to vote for your least favorite song, the next song to be eliminated from this contest. For anyone just joining us, rules may be found here.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:03 AM
IALW and Stuck have lingered many rounds too long. Terrible tracks, both of them. U2 were really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
IALW and Stuck have lingered many rounds too long. Terrible tracks, both of them. U2 were really scraping the bottom of the barrel.
I honestly don't know which to vote for.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 02:03 PM
can i vote for both? maybe we can all conspire to have a double elimination.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:37 AM   #5
45:33

No. Stuck is a 10/10 U2 song. In a Little While is the only acceptable answer here.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:58 AM   #6
The Male

Local Time: 12:03 PM
Saving my vote until I'm certain of WILATW's fate. Since I only vote based off studio versions, I would probably go with Stuck here, but it may not matter.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:00 AM   #7
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
No. Stuck is a 10/10 U2 song.
Let's not get carried away here... :P Stuck is quite nice in the acoustic version and has some nice lines especially at the end but the album version is clunky and out of place. Not to mention the cringeworthy video for it! I have a love hate relationship with this song though. It was so un-U2 when it came out.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:32 AM   #8
Refugee

If I opened a cheese factory, Stuck would be playing 24/7 in the background.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:08 AM   #9
Vocal parasite

Quote:
No. Stuck is a 10/10 U2 song.
Cobbler, send your brain back to the factory. There is clearly a defect.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-02-2013, 04:15 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Cobbler, send your brain back to the factory. There is clearly a defect.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:28 AM   #11
you are what you is

Local Time: 09:03 PM
Quote:
No. Stuck is a 10/10 U2 song. In a Little While is the only acceptable answer here.
Agreed.
I would almost resort to tactical voting, but overall shit taste will prevail next round if not this one anyway.
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 02-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #12
Refugee

In defense of Stuck- last year I was trapped in a job I hated. I was forced to fake a smile every day. One day I was pulled aside by my boss and given the "you need to decide what you want" speech, or basically, get on board for real or get out. DH's job wasn't stable so I needed the job. I was deflated. I got in my car to come home, and the studio version of Stuck came on shuffle. I lost it and bawled all the way home, with Stuck on repeat.

I "got myself together," and a few months ago quit the job to be a self-employed contractor, and have been very happy since. So it's not my favorite song, but now it does hold a special place in my heart.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySpinHead View Post
In defense of Stuck- last year I was trapped in a job I hated. I was forced to fake a smile every day. One day I was pulled aside by my boss and given the "you need to decide what you want" speech, or basically, get on board for real or get out. DH's job wasn't stable so I needed the job. I was deflated. I got in my car to come home, and the studio version of Stuck came on shuffle. I lost it and bawled all the way home, with Stuck on repeat.

I "got myself together," and a few months ago quit the job to be a self-employed contractor, and have been very happy since. So it's not my favorite song, but now it does hold a special place in my heart.
Great story. My girlfriend at the time, who was not a U2 fan (she is now) loved that song. I know that by saying this I'll practically guarantee its elimination this round, but I've had more non-fans tell me Stuck means something to them more than any other U2 song, and bought the record because of it.

Actually, the song has an excellent pop melody (which U2 always strives for) and decent lyrics. I only wish they used a real horn section in the song, but otherwise I don't know how it could be better for what it is. It's not the best song on the record, but once again I find myself mystified on Interference trying to understand the hate for a song. At the very least, Stuck is sincere, knows that it's about, and seems to strike a chord with people more than songs about Chinese stocks, wars between nations or imprisoned Burmese leaders.

BTW, glad you got out of that job. Life is too short to spend your days doing something you hate. Do what you love & the rest will take care of itself.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:03 AM
Stuck.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #15
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post

Life is too short to spend your days doing something you hate. Do what you love & the rest will take care of itself.
So very true.