Best Song Survivor: ATYCLB Round One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
One just barely received more votes than Lemon in the last round. It was eliminated. Thus, the following songs shall advance to the 1990s/2000s semifinal round:

Zooropa
Until the End of the World
The Fly
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
Gone
Mofo
Lemon
Ultraviolet (Light My Way)

Now we move into the final decade for this contests: the 2000s, beginning with All That You Can't Leave Behind. ATYCLB shall be represented in the 2000s quarterfinal round by two songs, based on its placement in the Best Album Survivor.

I am not including The Ground Beneath Your Feet in ATYLCB, or Fast Cars in Bomb. This will disappoint some who consider the songs to be part of the respective albums. However, they were not part of the albums in most of the world, and I believe that it is on the whole better to not include them. They will instead be in the miscellaneous song category.

You have 24 hours to vote for your least favorite song, the next song to be eliminated from this contest. For anyone just joining us, rules may be found here.

What a great list from the 90s! :D

Well, this is tough. I hate Stuck and Ialw, but Grace is boring drivel... hmm.. I guess Grace first. Because I can actually acknowledge that Stuck and ialw were once decent songs. until they got overplayed and raped in acoustic live performances and made me hate them with a passion.

Love the guitar on New York, hope it stays around a bit. Wouldn't put it in top 3 though. Though I'll probably vote it next compared to the others, maybe POE instead.

My top 5: 1. Beautiful Day, 2. Walk On, 3. Kite, 4. When I Look At The World, 5. Elevation. IALW close...but I like the silly Elevation for nostalgia purposes. As a middle schooler it was the best with the Tomb Raider video, and surprisingly popular on Mtv when they still played music videos.

Peace On Earth is one of the most embarrassing things U2 has ever committed to tape.

This album:

01. Beautiful Day
02. New York
03. When I Look At The World
04. Wild Honey
05. Kite
06. In A Little While
07. Walk On
08. Elevation
09. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
10. Grace
11. Peace On Earth

So, Peace On Earth is embarrassing but the song where Bono sings about SWINGING FROM THE TREES LIKE A MONKEY is not, and is somehow the fourth best on the album?

Tourist, you amaze me. Consistently.

Rating Wild Honey above Kite is fucking preposterous.

I used to be in the I hate Grace camp, but then something clicked and it's really beautiful. The beginning is a little clunky I agree, but see it through and you're rewarded by something special that is just so Bono, knowing how he's talked about his view of the concept of grace.

POE it is. Happily I really like this entire album. :)

So, Peace On Earth is embarrassing but the song where Bono sings about SWINGING FROM THE TREES LIKE A MONKEY is not, and is somehow the fourth best on the album?

Haha well said! :up:

I think Peace On Earth is better than at least a handful of songs on the album. But many seem to disagree. To each their own!

The beginning is a little clunky I agree, but see it through and you're rewarded by something special that is just so Bono, knowing how he's talked about his view of the concept of grace.

For me, the beginning is the best part. Love the melodic guitar line, and the tone Edge uses there. It's not a very exciting piece but it's soothing and pretty and sets a mood.

It's Bono's lyrics that spoil the thing. A lot of them are crap.

This album is so front-loaded, it keeps toppling over on my shelf. Wild Honey and POE are the worst offenders here, but a triple elimination of those two plus Grace would be the ideal scenario.

For me, the beginning is the best part. Love the melodic guitar line, and the tone Edge uses there. It's not a very exciting piece but it's soothing and pretty and sets a mood.

It's Bono's lyrics that spoil the thing. A lot of them are crap.

Oops should have specified that it's the lyrics I find clunky there. The music is wonderful throughout. But as much as I don't like some of the lyrics, it's the really great ones that turned me around on the song.

This album is so front-loaded, it keeps toppling over on my shelf. Wild Honey and POE are the worst offenders here, but a triple elimination of those two plus Grace would be the ideal scenario.

You need a copy that has "Ground Beneath Her Feet" :up:

I enjoy Wild Honey. I find it to be simple and listenable. No delusions of grandeur.

It was a toss-up between Grace and Peace On Earth for me; I went with Grace.

The music is lovely. I don't like the lyrics or the vocal.

Great, great album. At least half the songs are better than the survivors from the 90s round. Which says as much about how overrated 90s U2 is as it does about the attrocious voting here.

Great, great album. At least half the songs are better than the survivors from the 90s round. Which says as much about how overrated 90s U2 is as it does about the attrocious voting here.

:lol: We couldn't agree less if we tried.

Any song of the 90s survivals is better than all these songs combined IMO. Man I could do with half this album or less.

For me the only songs that matter are Beautiful Day, Elevation, Kite and WILATW.

Yeah sure :lol:

Wild Honey

I have no problem with TGBHF not being here, because I'm sure it would be worshipped by tons and be a bitch to kill off. It's OKAY, but mostly pretty boring and not better than anything they actually did put on the album. The end is cool though and the best part of the song.

Tourist, you amaze me. Consistently.

Rating Wild Honey above Kite is fucking preposterous.

That's okay. So do you. With the whole Taylor Swift thing. The whole "I'm a baseball fan but baseball stats don't matter!" thing. The whole prepubescent girl thing. But that's the wonderful thing about differing opinions. You can have those crazy things that don't make sense to me and I can have these crazy things that don't make sense to you. Because we're different people.

And that's not even close to Bono's worst lyric. Not even close. And then there's Kite which is wildly overrated, so there's that.

Back
Top Bottom