Best Song Survivor: Atomic Bomb, Round One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Extremely disappointed to see One Step Closer up for elimination first. Gorgeous little tune.

This.

But at least seeing OSC on the chopping block made it easier for me to choose which shitty song to vote for out of SYCMIOYO, OOTS, and Yahweh. All three of those blow so hard and need to get the hell out of the tournament.

OSC shouldn't be up for elimination yet... yahweh, crumbs, all because, and love and peace at least should go first...

Extremely disappointed to see One Step Closer up for elimination first. Gorgeous little tune. All Because of You is by far the worst.

lol wut

Different strokes for different folks. To my earsBoy is fantastic from beginning to end, but I rarely get the urge to listen to it. October is garbage, War feels aged(though I never tire of SBS, NYD, Drowning Man), and TUF great in parts but is dragged down with crap like wire and ISS(which feel more like they belong in war than with the atmosphere of the rest of the album), and the unforgivable EPAA.

Totally agree about One Step Closer though. Beautiful song. On my alternative track listing, I put it: SYCMIOYO->OSC-> COBL. Fantastic flow.

My favorite line in OSC is "Finger still red with the prick of an old rose. Well the heart that hurts is a heart that beats. Can you hear the drummer slowing?" What a heartbreaking line! It just says it all. This song just breaks me up-I am gutted everytime I hear it. Sad to see this song with so many votes so soon.

My favorite line in OSC is "Finger still red with the prick of an old rose. Well the heart that hurts is a heart that beats. Can you hear the drummer slowing?" What a heartbreaking line! It just says it all. This song just breaks me up-I am gutted everytime I hear it. Sad to see this song with so many votes so soon.

:up: the music is beautiful and he sings it really well. It's kind of like The First Time; it builds and builds but never breaks.

Might be my second fav on the album after COBL.

OSC is worse than OOTS? Ugh, come on, guys. Compare the lyrics. Note that one song is completely over the top and the other shows restraint. OSC is one of the only tracks here that has grown on me.

Voted yahweh to save One Step Closer - pains me when people mistake reflective, brooding songs for boring songs. OSC is a shining light for me on HTDAAB

Truth be told, I think ABOY is the worst track here. Half a guitar riff apparently equals a song. It sound like something I would expect from Beady Eye. The alternative version is much better, much more raw and has interesting lyrics.

To be honest, I like every song on this album except for OOTS, Yahweh (studio; I think it's great live) and the first half of Miracle Drug. I just don't love any of it.

Compare that to ATYCLB where I love a third of the tracks, absolutely despise another third, and the rest is decent. I prefer Bomb, but not by much.

OSC is worse than OOTS? Ugh, come on, guys. Compare the lyrics. Note that one song is completely over the top and the other shows restraint. OSC is one of the only tracks here that has grown on me.

Absolutely agree.

OOTS is an absolute low point of the band's career. OSC is one of this album's better songs - that's not saying much, but still, it's better than lots of the bilge U2 were recording in 2000-04.

Not saying that everyone that dislikes OSC fits into that category, but i think a lot that voted for it have probably listened to it a total of 5 times ever

Maybe because they don't like it enough to listen to it 6 times. ;)

As for lyrics, anyone who knows me knows that lyrics are rarely a prime consideration for me as to whether or not I like a song (always exceptions - Grace, for instance). I can't disagree that the lyrics to One Step Closer aren't lovely, and I wouldn't even try to argue that OOTS is great lyrically. But lyrics are rarely in my voting consideration.

Maybe because they don't like it enough to listen to it 6 times. ;)

As for lyrics, anyone who knows me knows that lyrics are rarely a prime consideration for me as to whether or not I like a song (always exceptions - Grace, for instance). I can't disagree that the lyrics to One Step Closer aren't lovely, and I wouldn't even try to argue that OOTS is great lyrically. But lyrics are rarely in my voting consideration.

It requires patience is kinda my point. A definite grower, on an album that doesn't have too many...

It took me more than six listens to warm up to OSC. I thought it was drab and repetitive for the longest time. Then one day I noticed that the song stood out in a GOOD way. It is one of the album's few hidden gems; a thoughtful, if depressing meditation that will completely slip by you if you let it. Kind of like The First Time, though not quite as good.

It took me more than six listens to warm up to OSC. I thought it was drab and repetitive for the longest time. Then one day I noticed that the song stood out in a GOOD way. It is one of the album's few hidden gems; a thoughtful, if depressing meditation that will completely slip by you if you let it. Kind of like The First Time, though not quite as good.

Exactly

Digitize, could you please change my vote from ABOY to Yahweh. One Step Closer is a gorgeous little bit of understated loveliness, and one of my favorites here, so I don't mind switching in hope to save it a bit longer.

Digitize, could you please change my vote from ABOY to Yahweh. One Step Closer is a gorgeous little bit of understated loveliness, and one of my favorites here, so I don't mind switching in hope to save it a bit longer.

Okie dokie

Not saying that everyone that dislikes OSC fits into that category, but i think a lot that voted for it have probably listened to it a total of 5 times ever

I doubt that I've listened to it more than five times ever, but I still think that it's probably in the top half of the album.

Yeah, I don't get the hate for Bomb. I think some people like to hate on anything commercial and successful. Bomb was very commercial and successful for U2. However, I think there are a lot of high quality songs here and a few great ones. OSC is my least fave so I'm voting it out.

I don't actively dislike anything on the album (as in there's nothing here that I'd list among my least favorite U2 songs ever), but for U2, it's mediocre.

And crummy-sounding mediocrity (why yes, I still am peeved about how distorted much of it sounds).

I don't actively dislike anything on the album (as in there's nothing here that I'd list among my least favorite U2 songs ever), but for U2, it's mediocre.

And crummy-sounding mediocrity (why yes, I still am peeved about how distorted much of it sounds).

I don't consider COBL, SYCMIOYO, OOTS, Vertigo mediocre. There is a lot of passion and heart in those songs. Some of my faves.

I mean overall. There's some stuff I love on the album (specifically, three of those four songs you named). But when I think of it as a whole album, it just doesn't stack up against the others. :)

I highly recommend acquiring a digital recording of Bomb on vinyl. The difference is enormous. They did a much, much better mastering job on vinyl.

There's guitar on OOTS? Sorry, can't hear it because DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH SUGA COME AWN SHOW YA SOOOOULLLLL YOU BEEN KEEPIN YO LOVE UNDAH CONTROLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Back
Top Bottom