Best Song Survivor: All That You Can't Leave Behind Round I

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for your LEAST FAVOURITE song

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for your LEAST FAVOURITE song.

Welcome to the first round for All That You Can't Leave Behind in Best Song Survivor! The object of this game is to find Interference's favourite U2 song. To do so, songs will be eliminated album-by-album in 24 hour long rounds to leave the favourites to contest a final that will determine the very favourite. The top three songs from this album will proceed to the 2000s semi-final. Only original U2 songs with official studio releases will compete. Due to dominating past tournaments and the inevitable likelihood that they will do the same this time, Where The Streets Have No Name and One are not in the tournament and can be assumed default equal #1 over and above the ultimate winner.

Acrobat was the last 1990s song to depart the semis, leaving UTEOTW, The Fly, Zooropa, Stay, and Gone as our five qualifiers for the grand final.

ORDER OF ELIMINATION
16. Slug
15. Miss Sarajevo
=13. Last Night On Earth
=13. Your Blue Room
12. Lemon
11. Mysterious Ways
10. Lady With The Spinning Head
9. Please
8. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
7. Mofo
6. Acrobat
1-5. QUALIFIED

GRAND FINALISTS
1. New Year's Day
2. A Sort Of Homecoming
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. Bad
5. With Or Without You
6. One Tree Hill
7. All I Want Is You
8. Until The End Of The World
9. The Fly
10. Zooropa
11. Stay
12. Gone

LAST ROUND'S RESULTS
27 votes: Acrobat
25: Gone
15: Zooropa
10: Until The End Of The World, Stay
3: The Fly
(Total votes: 90)

Oh joy, ATYCLB. :yawn:

In A Little While blows spectacularly. I could have easily gone for Stuck though.

^ I wouldnt say so many BAD songs, but there does seem to be a few below U2's standards. There are also a few that are exceptional.

I went with WIld Honey. Very throwaway. Would have much preferred the other throwaway song released then Big Girls Are Best. At least it was fun.

The first 5 songs are very strong. Even Elevation, although it is the worst of them. IALW is ok, not a huge track, and WILATW is probably my favourite on the album

Can I also add that I am hugely suprised by the grand finalists so far.

I would have though at least a few alternative U2 tracks would have made it through, but it appears interference has gone mainstream! Blue pigs do fly...

can we just do a mercy ruling now and eliminate the whole fucking thing?

I'm down with this.

I would have though at least a few alternative U2 tracks would have made it through, but it appears interference has gone mainstream! Blue pigs do fly...

ASOH, OTH, and Zooropa are mainstream?

But yeah, I'm surprised at some of the fan favourites that have missed out. No Acrobat? Only one song from Pop? Three years ago, I'd have said that wouldn't happen here!

ASOH, OTH, and Zooropa are mainstream?

But yeah, I'm surprised at some of the fan favourites that have missed out. No Acrobat? Only one song from Pop? Three years ago, I'd have said that wouldn't happen here!

They are at least songs that are known by people that aren't diehards. On thelarrymullenband forum I ran a competition similar to this to make a forum fans best of cd. We had Acrobat, Drowning Man, Heartland etc on there. I would have thought Interference would have gone further than that is all.

I mean, Zooropa had a single edit, whether it was played much or not. ASOH I would think is the best known non-single bsides SBS, and One Tree hill was a single in sheep-shagger-land. All songs that have had some external exposure, and are very hard to dislike.

This album to me is just stunningly mediocre. I don't think it deserves ANYTHING in the finals, let alone three songs.
This, basically. I consider it a slightly better album than Bomb, because it has better thematic consistency, but Kite is really the only song I'd consider to be of really high standards. But I guess the album's goal isn't to be... dramatic.

I'm just still crying over the last of Lemon and/or Please.

SBS was a single and went #7 in the UK: ..:: U2 Discography - Sunday Bloody Sunday Single / U2 - U2Wanderer.Org ::..

And ASOH, the best known non-single? Surely you're kidding? It's not even on a Best Of. Non-singles such as The First Time, Gone, and most obviously Bad would be far better known.

Sorry, meant non-US single. The First Time wouldn't be better known. Even though it's on the best-of. in that company, people who own the disc, but don't know U2 wouldnt be listening to it. Gone, maybe, Bad, yes definately. But ASOH is a well known song. JJJ played it a bit back in the day when they were good. I know a number of non-u2 fans that know the song

Sorry, meant non-US single. The First Time wouldn't be better known. Even though it's on the best-of. in that company, people who own the disc, but don't know U2 wouldnt be listening to it. Gone, maybe, Bad, yes definately. But ASOH is a well known song. JJJ played it a bit back in the day when they were good. I know a number of non-u2 fans that know the song

I would say that Bad and UTEOTW are their more well-known non-singles, at least in the US.

Was COBL even released as a promo in the US? If not, then it's up there, too... all of the really minor U2 fans who I know tend to love that song.

This, basically. I consider it a slightly better album than Bomb, because it has better thematic consistency, but Kite is really the only song I'd consider to be of really high standards. But I guess the album's goal isn't to be... dramatic.

I'm just still crying over the last of Lemon and/or Please.

It may not be a popular opinion, but Beautiful Day is a key defining song of their career. Plain and simple. Possibly their biggest single ever, and introduced 100's nay, millions to the band. When they finish, and people ask each other which songs do the consider the 3 defining moments of their career, I guarentee 9 out of 10 will say WOWY, One and Beautiful Day

It may not be a popular opinion, but Beautiful Day is a key defining song of their career. Plain and simple. Possibly their biggest single ever, and introduced 100's nay, millions to the band. When they finish, and people ask each other which songs do the consider the 3 defining moments of their career, I guarentee 9 out of 10 will say WOWY, One and Beautiful Day

I always forget about BD. Yeah, you're right. It's the song that made me a U2 fan, truth be told.

I'd say anything on a Best Of is inherently better known than any album tracks, with the possible exception of songs on JT and Achtung. The First Time certainly has a hell of a lot more exposure than ASOH does. And that exposure is pretty significant - but we still gave the song the flick fairly quickly.

All of you guys make me sad. This is easily the most difficult to have to eliminate songs from.

Here's an idea. Since all of you seem to hate (or at least feel indifference towards) the album, I propose that Stuck In A Moment- my fave- makes it to the finals for this album. Sound good?

Peace On Earth gets my vote.

I'd say anything on a Best Of is inherently better known than any album tracks, with the possible exception of songs on JT and Achtung. The First Time certainly has a hell of a lot more exposure than ASOH does. And that exposure is pretty significant - but we still gave the song the flick fairly quickly.

In the US, everything made in the 90s save Mysterious Ways and One tends to be essentially totally unknown until you get into moderate-level U2 fan circles.

All of you guys make me sad. This is easily the most difficult to have to eliminate songs from.

Here's an idea. Since all of you seem to hate (or at least feel indifference towards) the album, I propose that Stuck In A Moment- my fave- makes it to the finals for this album. Sound good?

Peace On Earth gets my vote.

I can make this happen if enough money appears in my bank account.

Fair enough. I still think that it is a more widely appreciated non-single, one that it would be less cool to like, because it seems universally loved. I love it, and want it there, but All I'm saying is, the amount of mainstream hits and big songs suprises me in a list on interference

Fair enough. I still think that it is a more widely appreciated non-single, one that it would be less cool to like, because it seems universally loved. I love it, and want it there, but All I'm saying is, the amount of mainstream hits and big songs suprises me in a list on interference

Oh yeah, I agree with your general point. I did expect the tournament to be predictable, but not quite THIS predictable. When songs like Pride went early, I thought we might have a chance at getting Heartland and Acrobat into the grand finals, but oh well.

Oh yeah, I agree with your general point. I did expect the tournament to be predictable, but not quite THIS predictable. When songs like Pride went early, I thought we might have a chance at getting Heartland and Acrobat into the grand finals, but oh well.

You people are sheep. SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!!!!

Also, I've been thinking of an idea for a new Survivor to follow this one, if people aren't sick of the tournament. I've enjoyed the quickfire "vote for your favourite" rounds for Passengers and the misc. categories, and I'm interested how this game would turn out if we did that for ALL albums.

Plus, I'd like to integrate the non-album tracks into the album rounds. We saw songs like Spanish Eyes and Luminous Times get killed in the semis, but I believe that if they'd had a fair fight against other songs just from their era, they would have performed respectably and beaten some album tracks - not made the finals, but at least placed better than the likes of TTYW.

I'm not quite sure how I'd seed things yet or anything, but we'd have 12 rounds, one for each album and associated tracks, then a series of finals. I'll be happy to run that once this tournament is said and done.

Also, I've been thinking of an idea for a new Survivor to follow this one, if people aren't sick of the tournament. I've enjoyed the quickfire "vote for your favourite" rounds for Passengers and the misc. categories, and I'm interested how this game would turn out if we did that for ALL albums.

Plus, I'd like to integrate the non-album tracks into the album rounds. We saw songs like Spanish Eyes and Luminous Times get killed in the semis, but I believe that if they'd had a fair fight against other songs just from their era, they would have performed respectably and beaten some album tracks - not made the finals, but at least placed better than the likes of TTYW.

I'm not quite sure how I'd seed things yet or anything, but we'd have 12 rounds, one for each album and associated tracks, then a series of finals. I'll be happy to run that once this tournament is said and done.

Yeah id be interested to see how that played out.

Haha, forget I mentioned it, then.

I think SIAM has a very slim shot. BD and Walk On are locks, and the third slot will probably be Kite.

You don't want to make me rich in the name of music you love? Damn! Another get-rich-quick scheme foiled!

And I'd say BD and Kite are the two locks. I hope Walk On is the third, but it certainly has its crowd of detractors ... not so sure what else would place third, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom