Best Song Survivor: All That You Can't Leave Behind Round I

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for your LEAST FAVOURITE song

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't want to make me rich in the name of music you love? Damn! Another get-rich-quick scheme foiled!

And I'd say BD and Kite are the two locks. I hope Walk On is the third, but it certainly has its crowd of detractors ... not so sure what else would place third, though.

If the album version had the single versions vocals, and more keys, it would be a lock

Also, I've been thinking of an idea for a new Survivor to follow this one, if people aren't sick of the tournament. I've enjoyed the quickfire "vote for your favourite" rounds for Passengers and the misc. categories, and I'm interested how this game would turn out if we did that for ALL albums.

Plus, I'd like to integrate the non-album tracks into the album rounds. We saw songs like Spanish Eyes and Luminous Times get killed in the semis, but I believe that if they'd had a fair fight against other songs just from their era, they would have performed respectably and beaten some album tracks - not made the finals, but at least placed better than the likes of TTYW.

I'm not quite sure how I'd seed things yet or anything, but we'd have 12 rounds, one for each album and associated tracks, then a series of finals. I'll be happy to run that once this tournament is said and done.

Another suggestion - let's do another album ranking first. We can use those rankings not only to determine how many songs from each album goes onto semifinals, but also possibly to see how many songs each semifinal goes onto finals. For instance, let's say that one-third of all songs sent to semis go to finals, and Boy, October, and War each are ranked to send two songs to semis... then the early 80s semis would have six songs, and send two to finals. If Achtung had four, Zooropa had three, OS1 had two, and Pop had three, then there would be 12 songs in the 90s semis, and they'd send four onto finals. Et cetera. That would require splitting the early 80s and late 80s into separate semifinal rounds, though.

I've stopped trying to defend this great album, it's a waste of energy.

But I'd like to know why I'm the only person who's voted for Elevation, and why there are votes instead for When I Look at the World.

I don't understand why people can't just vote for their least favorite songs. It's the most accurate measure, it's what the instructions say to do ... why don't people do it? Why this constant need to "save" songs? Ultimately, this is about being accurate about U2 fans, and this competition never is because of that.

Yeah, a single round for favourite albums probably would be a good idea. I'd do it as multiple choice, vote for your top five favourite albums - and this time, Passengers and NLOTH would be there. The seeding would then be based on a three-way division: top five albums, middle five, bottom three (or perhaps middle four and bottom four?). I would also propose that when b-sides and other non-album tracks are added to an album's round, any album with 15+ songs gets an extra song in the final, and 20+ gets two.

Using that to determine seeding from semis to grand final would be good too.

I don't understand why people can't just vote for their least favorite songs. It's the most accurate measure, it's what the instructions say to do ... why don't people do it? Why this constant need to "save" songs? Ultimately, this is about being accurate about U2 fans, and this competition never is because of that.

I think it's quite reasonable. If I want three particular songs to be the three qualifiers, then I really don't care what happens to the other songs on the album, do I? They get eliminated and that's the end of that - the order in which they go is ultimately insignificant. So it makes sense to vote for whatever helps get my three desired qualifiers into the final.

Ultimately, people are always going to vote on strategy, and I'd rather embrace it than fight the tide.

Also, I've been thinking of an idea for a new Survivor to follow this one, if people aren't sick of the tournament. I've enjoyed the quickfire "vote for your favourite" rounds for Passengers and the misc. categories, and I'm interested how this game would turn out if we did that for ALL albums.

Plus, I'd like to integrate the non-album tracks into the album rounds. We saw songs like Spanish Eyes and Luminous Times get killed in the semis, but I believe that if they'd had a fair fight against other songs just from their era, they would have performed respectably and beaten some album tracks - not made the finals, but at least placed better than the likes of TTYW.

I'm not quite sure how I'd seed things yet or anything, but we'd have 12 rounds, one for each album and associated tracks, then a series of finals. I'll be happy to run that once this tournament is said and done.

Ooh that does sound like fun!

^ Philly/Ax I see both sides. I think the thing to remember is that no-one expects this to be a factually accurate piece of statistical information. Its a bit of fun.

If it were, then yes, PF, we would indeed need to make sure everyone voted for their least favourite each time ,as the competition is about ovting off least favourites, not saving your three favourites. If that was the case, the first 6 rounds are redundant.

Having said that, it's a bit of fun, and probably not that big a deal

^ Philly/Ax I see both sides. I think the thing to remember is that no-one expects this to be a factually accurate piece of statistical information. Its a bit of fun.

If it were, then yes, PF, we would indeed need to make sure everyone voted for their least favourite each time ,as the competition is about ovting off least favourites, not saving your three favourites. If that was the case, the first 6 rounds are redundant.

Having said that, it's a bit of fun, and probably not that big a deal

Yeah, I see PFan's argument too, and I've tried to think of how to reduce strategic voting in case it is skewing outcomes significantly. But I don't really think it would be possible with the traditional format, so as I say, I embrace it and think it's reasonable.

I think my proposed single-round multi-choice vote for favourites tournament would be less prone to strategic voting. Not devoid of it, but it wouldn't be such a big deal.

I would actually like to see some sort of future Survivor like this, where it was clearly stated that we would like to see what the results would be if everyone did that. I get the strategic voting and like Axver said no use fighting the tide. I voted only how I felt for each song for a long time, but after so many of my votes being completely pointless I finally decided to go strategic sometimes too. But I still think it would be interesting to just see the way things turned out if we tried it like phillyfan is saying. To just not worry about strategy or having our top 3 get through etc etc.... just see how differently things ended up that way.

The only way it could work is

a) allowing people only to vote the first time they view the page
b) not allowing people to see poll results until they vote.

I dont think either of these are options though, are they?

The only way it could work is

a) allowing people only to vote the first time they view the page
b) not allowing people to see poll results until they vote.

I dont think either of these are options though, are they?

I've seen option B on some forums before, but it's not available here.

This album to me is just stunningly mediocre. I don't think it deserves ANYTHING in the finals, let alone three songs.

I on the other hand would put 4 songs in my top 15. Good to know we don't agree on back to back things. :lol:

anyway, the vote is for Grace. not a bad song but it barely ekes out Wild Honey

I on the other hand would put 4 songs in my top 15. Good to know we don't agree on back to back things. :lol:

:laugh:

I did have one ATYCLB-era song in my top 50, namely TGBHF (which will appear in the Miscellaneous 2000-02 round), but the addition of my three favourite NLOTH songs to the top 50 knocked it down to 53rd.

^

My opinions of ATYCLB are also coloured by the fact that TGBHF is on my disc, and I always see it as part of it. This is probably because I think it fits perfectly where it is. Grace is a good second last song, and then TGBHF finishes it nicely.

:laugh:

I did have one ATYCLB-era song in my top 50, namely TGBHF (which will appear in the Miscellaneous 2000-02 round), but the addition of my three favourite NLOTH songs to the top 50 knocked it down to 53rd.

Ground Beneath Her Feet is #50 on my top list along with Walk On at #2, Beautiful Day at #3, Kite at #7 and When I Look at the World at #11.

Stuck and Elevation are both close to the top 50 as well.

Ground Beneath Her Feet is #50 on my top list along with Walk On at #2, Beautiful Day at #3, Kite at #7 and When I Look at the World at #11.

what's at #'s 1, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10 (just curious, I love the diversity of U2 fans, and someone who likes this album so much is a rare thing)

^

My opinions of ATYCLB are also coloured by the fact that TGBHF is on my disc, and I always see it as part of it. This is probably because I think it fits perfectly where it is. Grace is a good second last song, and then TGBHF finishes it nicely.

Same. I didn't even have the Internet until 2002, and that's when I learnt TGBHF wasn't on every edition. So it's always been the closer to me. It doesn't sound like a tacked-on bonus track at all.

Walk On used to be a favourite of mine and ranked in my top twenty. I'd probably say it's the best song on the standard edition of ATYCLB (I have been a WILATW advocate, but I'd slip that down to second place now, I think), but my tastes evolved a fair bit in 2005-06, and since then, Walk On's been around the 50s or 60s overall in my rankings.

Ugh. Grace.

Among the borefests we still have some great and underrated songs (Peace on Earth [yes I think its a very good song], When I Look At The World, New York).

The next to be voted out by me will be Wild Honey and In A Little While respectively.

I love that this round is a contest simply because we can't reach a consensus on what sucks the most and should be kicked off first.

I love that this round is a contest simply because we can't reach a consensus on what sucks the most and should be kicked off first.

I think it's more of a contest to decide which order to kick the obvious 6 off.

The other 5 are genuine quality and would make just about any other U2 album (as in any of the 5 best could replace TTYW or TTTYAATW)

ooookay. i don't know if it's because it's that weird time where the forums act freaky, but it's not letting me vote. it says i've already voted yet i'm not listed in the results or anything. i'll try again later, but in case it still doesn't work if you could add a vote for me for wild honey i'd appreciate it. :D

edit: it's showing up now, i guess it was delayed in showing up. :D

Last edited:
Quite a few to choose from; Grace, obviously, Peace On Earth, sure, but my first choice has to be Walk On, I can't stand it.

I guess I'm going with Wild Honey in an attempt to keep Grace around for another round. I just think that would be cool, don't really know why.

You can't stop votes to save.

For instance. I voted for Elevation here. But say my favourite song was Wild Honey, and I didn't want it to get eliminated in round one, why the hell would I vote pointlessly for Elevation when I could vote for Grace and save Wild Honey getting the boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom