Best Song Survivor: 1990s Quarterfinal, Round Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Zooropa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Until the End of the World

• The Fly

• Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me

• One

• Stay (Faraway, So Close!)

• Mofo

• Lemon

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Because of a vote change, Lady With the Spinning Head just barely escaped from a tie with Dirty Day. The latter was eliminated, and the former remains. Fourteen songs remain in the 1990s quarterfinals, and nine shall progress to the 1990s/2000s semifinal round. You have 24 hours to vote for your least favorite song, the next song to be eliminated from this contest. For anyone just joining us, rules may be found here.

Miss Sarajevo, for two reasons. One is to save Lady With the Spinning Head, and the other is because it's the least awesome (notice how I don't say worst) song on this list.

The following eight songs I would like to advance:

Zooropa
Until the End of the World
One
Your Blue Room
Stay
Lemon
Please
Ultraviolet

For the ninth slot, I'm between Miss Sarajevo, Mofo, and The Fly. Miss Sarajevo won't be around for very long, and of Mofo or The Fly... I'll go with The Fly.

The Fly is one of the most important U2 songs of all time, and on the past few tours The Edge has been absolutely on fire while playing it. It's not borderline for me.

I'll vote for anything here but Zooropa, Stay, Lemon and UTEOTW.

Since I only vote based on studio versions, I guess I'll go with Please. It improved significantly live.

I guess voting One or UV is a waste of time so I'll help get Miss Sarajevo out of here. They're the three duds of this quarter-final if you ask me. I really want The Fly, LWTSH, Zooropa, and Gone to proceed - those are the big ones for me. Also will be very happy if songs like Your Blue Room, HMTMKMKM, and Mofo go through. Really will be pretty happy with any songs progressing apart from the aforenamed duds.

Still a bummer that some of the nineties' best tracks, like Acrobat, LIB, and LNOE, didn't make it this far.

Oh, and since Dirty Day departed first, I'm pretty sure this is the first time an album song has perished before a Passengers song in a Survivor finals round. Last time, the three Passengers tracks (Slug, Miss Sarajevo, YBR) perished in the first three rounds, though YBR's elimination as the last of those three was in a draw with LNOE.

Hmm nine to progress... :hmm:

1. One
2. The Fly
3. Until the End of the World
4. Zooropa
5. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
6. Mofo
7. Lemon
8. Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
9. Please or Stay or Gone

My ninth spot will depend on what survives when we get there, as those 3 songs are equally good. But if I have the choice, I think it will be Stay.

Zooropa, UTEOTW, The Fly, One, Lemon, Gone, Ultraviolet, Stay, Mofo and Please are my top 10 here but I can't decide which one I want not to go through :(

HMTMKMKM is a bit overrated on this forum. Cracking tune but not that good. Inflated status from the tour.

And I have to say I get really annoyed by people calling it 'Batman'.

Zooropa, UTEOTW, The Fly, One, Lemon, Gone, Ultraviolet, Stay, Mofo and Please are my top 10 here but I can't decide which one I want not to go through :(

HMTMKMKM is a bit overrated on this forum. Cracking tune but not that good. Inflated status from the tour.

And I have to say I get really annoyed by people calling it 'Batman'.

bono-macphisto-batman.jpg

I voted for the lady. As much as I love the song and find the extended mix particularly delicious... it still doesn't sound like a fully realized song to me. It holds the roots of a fully realized Ultraviolet which is the better song, in my opinion.

By the way, here are some of my thoughts on this voting system:

1. I think the results should not be visible until the very end. digitize, is there a way you can do that on this forum?

2. This strategic voting / gang voting thing is total bullshit. I say vote off YOUR least favourite song, no matter which song is getting the beating currently.

I realize that I'm a newbie here and you guys can totally ignore me if you wish but... I've been on other forums and have lurked here for years and years! Believe me, I understand how this works. :wink:

(my 2 cents)

1. I think the results should not be visible until the very end. digitize, is there a way you can do that on this forum?

2. This strategic voting / gang voting thing is total bullshit. I say vote off YOUR least favourite song, no matter which song is getting the beating currently.

Early in this contest, I took a stand against strategic voting, and then I just gave up. We have used other formats that have far less strategic voting, and those are great. But for this format, strategic voting is all part of the fun of it.

Regarding your first question specifically, no there is not. This has been done before using a system where votes were sent by email, but it resulted in less than five votes per round, roughly speaking.

Yeah I can understand how people might get lazy about emailing in votes. It's so much easier when you can just click on a radio button here. lol. Carry on.

Nonetheless, this survivor thing really does make things interesting around here at a time when there is nothing new in the world of U2. Your efforts are appreciated, digitize. :)

Early in this contest, I took a stand against strategic voting, and then I just gave up. We have used other formats that have far less strategic voting, and those are great. But for this format, strategic voting is all part of the fun of it.

I agree. That's probably how a lot of survivor games turn out anyway. Plus, if someone votes for a song solely on those reasons, it's likely they wouldn't have chosen it as a song to leave on anyway.

Nonetheless, this survivor thing really does make things interesting around here at a time when there is nothing new in the world of U2. Your efforts are appreciated, digitize. :)

Hear, hear.

There's a limit to my nerdom when it comes to U2. Emailing someone votes in a survivor competition crosses the line.

:lol:

Sarajevo looks outta here.

Gone - a statement of intent. If you don't want it in the top 9 for this section, let's piss it off in Round 4. C'mon folks, band together.

Loving how well Blue Room is faring so far!

I hope (in no particular order) that Zooropa, The Fly, One, Your Blue Room and Lemon stay in the competition as long as possible.

Back
Top Bottom