Best Song Survivor: 1990s Quarterfinal, Round Six - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: What is your least favorite song?
Zooropa 2 3.85%
Until the End of the World 0 0%
The Fly 0 0%
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me 6 11.54%
One 16 30.77%
Stay (Faraway, So Close!) 2 3.85%
Gone 3 5.77%
Mofo 7 13.46%
Lemon 14 26.92%
Ultraviolet (Light My Way) 2 3.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:51 PM
Yeah, I think the number of votes for one is just a bit silly. Not only the quality of the song, but the IMPORTANCE of the song in U2's career cannot be underestimated.

Also, its performance as a single is fairly outstanding, considering even the last 3 albums all had reasonably well performed first singles - third singles rarely do well for them.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #32
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:51 PM
Lemon, even though my vote would have went to at least 5 other songs on that list first... in a sane situation.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:51 PM
I'm actually somewhat tempted to vote against Lemon here. I like Lemon more than One, but not by much, and it's hard for me to not take in consideration One's massive importance and meaning to so many people. But I've often considered Lemon my personal favorite U2 song... this is so difficult. I'm not sure if One is just being voted off because of strategic concerns, but the possibility of that bothers me.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #34
Vocal parasite

Great voting this round.

And who gives a shit about One - or any song's - "importance"? The question asks which song YOU LIKE the least, not which song you think is important. Voting on importance is just silly. Pride and SBS were pretty fucking important songs, more important than One in establishing U2's mainstream fame, but in the context of this tournament, where are they now?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #35
The Male

If you like Lemon more than One, vote off One. Who cares what you're supposed to think? If WOWY was up against Zooropa, I'd vote WOWY so hard it would break the button. Totally fine with the song though.

I'm not voting for One right now because I like it too much to do so and I'm not really a fan of strategic voting. I'll do it if it's my favorite vs. one of the weaker tracks, but if it's #4 vs. #5, fuck it.

Now.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Great voting this round.

And who gives a shit about One - or any song's - "importance"? The question asks which song YOU LIKE the least, not which song you think is important. Voting on importance is just silly. Pride and SBS were pretty fucking important songs, more important than One in establishing U2's mainstream fame, but in the context of this tournament, where are they now?
There's something about the importance of One that adds to how I think of it beyond how much I would enjoy it in a vacuum.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #37
Refugee

Local Time: 09:51 PM
I think One is sublime, I don't care how "important" it is.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

I'll vote for Hold Me, a song that I believe actually deserves to be votes off.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:51 PM
Seems outrageous that One would be leaving this early...

..Tempted to vote for it for that reason! The only song I really wanna vote for is Gone, so One it is. Love an upset! Out goes a dinosaur!
Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #40
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
There's something about the importance of One that adds to how I think of it beyond how much I would enjoy it in a vacuum.
I stand by my assertion that judging a song on anything other than its musical qualities is silly.

If you're going to do that anyway, you better down-rate Discotheque for its negative popular influence, give 11 O'clock Tick Tock a big boost for being central to U2's live reputation in the early years, rate Streets as the #1 U2 song ever no matter what you actually prefer, stick the boot into Boots harsher than Red Light because Boots did more important damage to U2's popular reputation than Red Light ever did ... you see where I'm going here. Take songs as you receive them, not on some bullshit rockist notions of "importance".

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post

I stand by my assertion that judging a song on anything other than its musical qualities is silly.

If you're going to do that anyway, you better down-rate Discotheque for its negative popular influence, give 11 O'clock Tick Tock a big boost for being central to U2's live reputation in the early years, rate Streets as the #1 U2 song ever no matter what you actually prefer, stick the boot into Boots harsher than Red Light because Boots did more important damage to U2's popular reputation than Red Light ever did ... you see where I'm going here. Take songs as you receive them, not on some bullshit rockist notions of "importance".
It only makes even the slightest difference because of how incredibly close in quality I place One and Lemon. But my overall impression of One is enhanced because of what it means to so many people, and that's something that I have a hard time ignoring.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #42
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver
rockist notions
Oh hai RYM

Now.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #43
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize
I'll vote for Hold Me, a song that I believe actually deserves to be votes off.
Good call.

I can't believe one of two of the best songs here won't go through because of HMTMKMKM.

Now.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #44
Vocal parasite

HMTMKMKM > Lemon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> One.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
It only makes even the slightest difference because of how incredibly close in quality I place One and Lemon. But my overall impression of One is enhanced because of what it means to so many people, and that's something that I have a hard time ignoring.
Perhaps we're going to keep talking in circles to one another here, but this is just baffling logic to me. I might as well say that because I find One and UV so close in lack of quality, I'm voting for One because my overall impression is tarnished because it's more nauseatingly overhyped by so many people and that's something I have a hard time ignoring (which isn't true, but you see what I mean - in reality I voted for the one actually likely to get the boot this round).

Ultimately, isn't this about what the song means to you, not other people? This idea that music somehow gains or loses in merit to an individual listener because of other people's reactions is incomprehensible to me. What other people think of a song really shouldn't affect how much an individual likes or dislikes it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Oh hai RYM
I thought I'd reply to one RYM-ish argument with another.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Let's not keep talking in circles, then. What creates an overall impression of a song can be different between people.