Best Song Survivor: 1990s Quarterfinal, Round Five

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Please was eliminated ( :angry: ) in the last round, leaving eleven surviving songs competing for nine slots in the 1990s/2000s quarterfinal round. You have 24 hours to vote for your least favorite song, the next song to be eliminated from this contest. For anyone just joining us, rules may be found here.

Come on people, let's double-eliminate One and UV and move on with nine great songs, rather than turfing out YBR and letting some mediocrity go through.

... I'll keep dreaming. Anyway, probably the only songs I absolutely won't touch to save YBR are Zooropa, The Fly, and Gone. Also not keen on kicking out HMTMKMKM or Mofo.

YBR is one of my top 5 U2 songs. And it always has been - long before I fell under the enchantments and velvet-like wit of the members of The Hive.

Lemon - great track, has grown on me tremendously, but I don't think it should stay around any longer.

We were joking about this in the latest Cure survivor poll, but have we done a U2 live survivor yet? It wouldn't be quite as popular, and Streets will win anyway, but who gives a shit. It's something to do.

Not really, you just vote based on your overall impression of its live history.

It may be redundant, as some people already vote based on that, but maybe we could handle it a bit differently. Choose the best song of each tour or something.

Axver brought it up a couple years back. I personally think it's a terrible idea. Other than eliminating a bunch of songs off the top because they were never performed live, I don't see the results being any different really. People are still just going to vote for what songs they like, right? A lot of folks here don't listen to much live U2.

And, yeah, Streets would win. You'd have to not include it. Which would be weird. I just think it's a weird idea.

We've talked about live survivor a lot, but it's generally fallen over due to the fact it's hard to account for the imbalance between people who just have the official DVDs (and thus a very limited range of U2's live songs - no One Tree Hill, for instance) and the people who've got a billion bootlegs.

I suppose we could do a Songs From U2's Official Live Releases Survivor. Could be interesting to see RAH RTSS vs ZooTV RTSS and that sort of thing.

Axver said:
I suppose we could do a Songs From U2's Official Live Releases Survivor. Could be interesting to see RAH RTSS vs ZooTV RTSS and that sort of thing.

Yeah, this is about the only way it would work. And I would enjoy it. Running a typical survivor and plugging in live tracks would fail hard.

We've talked about live survivor a lot, but it's generally fallen over due to the fact it's hard to account for the imbalance between people who just have the official DVDs (and thus a very limited range of U2's live songs - no One Tree Hill, for instance) and the people who've got a billion bootlegs.

What about the R&H outtake from the Best Of 1980-1990 VHS? Isn't that official? Also, it's on the Live New Year's Eve Point Depot show that was released as part of the Complete U2. That should count as an official release. Although you did say DVDs.

I feel like mentioning, though, that a lot of songs that aren't on any official live release - not all by any means, but a lot - are easily findable via a simple youtube search. There's a lot of stuff there.

I mentioned in the rate the songs series last time that a poll of the live songs that I was surprised this hasn't been done before here, especially considering that U2 is a band who made their bones live, and there are many fans who for the most part only listen to live stuff. It would be much more interesting than yet another tiresome recording of song preferences (whether it's voting for your least or favourite songs). Nothing against the way Dig has handled this (or the last poll), it's been outstanding, but there's only so many ways to rate these songs. I participated in the last one, but haven't for the most part in this one because it just feels like more of the same.

And yes, as much as I love HQ bootlegs, you'd have to limit such a poll to official live releases (including CD's, DVD's, and even one off b-sides if you wanted), since a lot of people don't collect the bootlegs. And yes, a lot of songs haven't been played, but so what, a lot have. If some people haven't heard a particular version, so what? They can vote for one they have. Even if there's only a few officially released live versions of some songs, it would still be interesting to see the results, and I think could spark newer discussion of these songs that going over the same studio tracks, again and again. I also think if you include the live b-sides and other officially released "rarities" a lot of people might be exposed to versions they didn't even know existed.

At the end, you'd have a "Interference's Picks" concert of all the best live versions.

What's so hard about something like this:

POLL: What is the best officially released live version of "Where The Streets Have No Name"?

Rattle & Hum, Tempe
Lovetown, Point Depot
ZOOTV, Sydney
Popmart, Mexico City
Popmart, Rotterdam (Please B-Side)
Elevation, Boston
Elevation, Slane Castle
Vertigo, Chicago
360, Rosebowl
360, Stadion Slaski, Chorzow (U22)

Etc.

You could eliminate the multiple versions from the same tour if you wished, since within a tour a different performances of the same song pretty much sound the same. As someone else pointed out, any version someone hasn't heard could easily be found on Youtube.

I'd do it myself, except I lack the organizational, technical and statistical skills for the task. Plus if I did it The Hive would probably boycott it, and since that's a good part of Interference, the results would be statistically meaningless.

Oh, and I'd go Elevation Boston on this question. The show overall isn't that impressive, and I prefer Slane, but that version of Streets enters the stratosphere.

er guys there appears to be some kind of mistake, you've started voting quite a lot for Lemon....yet One has 2 votes at the time of writing? And 2 for Mofo what the hell is this?! :wink:

Well, fack. Now I don't know what to vote for. I love all these songs. Though I guess if I had to judge I love YBR just a little less than One, so I'll go with that.

Lemon came on my ipod on shuffle a few days back, and I find myself going back to listening it whatever the next song is. Damn, that a bleedin' brilliant song!

All songs are fantastic.

But, really, voting LEMON AND YBR?

Those are not just songs. Those are magical songs.

Back
Top Bottom