Best Song Survivor: 1990s Quarterfinal, Round Five - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: What is your least favorite song?
Zooropa 0 0%
Until the End of the World 0 0%
The Fly 0 0%
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me 3 5.77%
One 2 3.85%
Your Blue Room 27 51.92%
Stay (Faraway, So Close!) 2 3.85%
Gone 3 5.77%
Mofo 3 5.77%
Lemon 10 19.23%
Ultraviolet (Light My Way) 2 3.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2013, 11:02 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:59 PM
Axver brought it up a couple years back. I personally think it's a terrible idea. Other than eliminating a bunch of songs off the top because they were never performed live, I don't see the results being any different really. People are still just going to vote for what songs they like, right? A lot of folks here don't listen to much live U2.

And, yeah, Streets would win. You'd have to not include it. Which would be weird. I just think it's a weird idea.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:02 PM   #17
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:59 PM
Yeah YBR, especially with Lemon on the chopping block.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #18
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:59 PM
We've talked about live survivor a lot, but it's generally fallen over due to the fact it's hard to account for the imbalance between people who just have the official DVDs (and thus a very limited range of U2's live songs - no One Tree Hill, for instance) and the people who've got a billion bootlegs.

I suppose we could do a Songs From U2's Official Live Releases Survivor. Could be interesting to see RAH RTSS vs ZooTV RTSS and that sort of thing.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #19
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver
I suppose we could do a Songs From U2's Official Live Releases Survivor. Could be interesting to see RAH RTSS vs ZooTV RTSS and that sort of thing.
Yeah, this is about the only way it would work. And I would enjoy it. Running a typical survivor and plugging in live tracks would fail hard.

Now.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:42 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
We've talked about live survivor a lot, but it's generally fallen over due to the fact it's hard to account for the imbalance between people who just have the official DVDs (and thus a very limited range of U2's live songs - no One Tree Hill, for instance) and the people who've got a billion bootlegs.

What about the R&H outtake from the Best Of 1980-1990 VHS? Isn't that official? Also, it's on the Live New Year's Eve Point Depot show that was released as part of the Complete U2. That should count as an official release. Although you did say DVDs.

I feel like mentioning, though, that a lot of songs that aren't on any official live release - not all by any means, but a lot - are easily findable via a simple youtube search. There's a lot of stuff there.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:12 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:59 AM
Whatever I vote for it will be a song I love. Ultraviolet.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:44 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:59 AM
I mentioned in the rate the songs series last time that a poll of the live songs that I was surprised this hasn't been done before here, especially considering that U2 is a band who made their bones live, and there are many fans who for the most part only listen to live stuff. It would be much more interesting than yet another tiresome recording of song preferences (whether it's voting for your least or favourite songs). Nothing against the way Dig has handled this (or the last poll), it's been outstanding, but there's only so many ways to rate these songs. I participated in the last one, but haven't for the most part in this one because it just feels like more of the same.

And yes, as much as I love HQ bootlegs, you'd have to limit such a poll to official live releases (including CD's, DVD's, and even one off b-sides if you wanted), since a lot of people don't collect the bootlegs. And yes, a lot of songs haven't been played, but so what, a lot have. If some people haven't heard a particular version, so what? They can vote for one they have. Even if there's only a few officially released live versions of some songs, it would still be interesting to see the results, and I think could spark newer discussion of these songs that going over the same studio tracks, again and again. I also think if you include the live b-sides and other officially released "rarities" a lot of people might be exposed to versions they didn't even know existed.

At the end, you'd have a "Interference's Picks" concert of all the best live versions.

What's so hard about something like this:

POLL: What is the best officially released live version of "Where The Streets Have No Name"?

Rattle & Hum, Tempe
Lovetown, Point Depot
ZOOTV, Sydney
Popmart, Mexico City
Popmart, Rotterdam (Please B-Side)
Elevation, Boston
Elevation, Slane Castle
Vertigo, Chicago
360, Rosebowl
360, Stadion Slaski, Chorzow (U22)

Etc.

You could eliminate the multiple versions from the same tour if you wished, since within a tour a different performances of the same song pretty much sound the same. As someone else pointed out, any version someone hasn't heard could easily be found on Youtube.

I'd do it myself, except I lack the organizational, technical and statistical skills for the task. Plus if I did it The Hive would probably boycott it, and since that's a good part of Interference, the results would be statistically meaningless.

Oh, and I'd go Elevation Boston on this question. The show overall isn't that impressive, and I prefer Slane, but that version of Streets enters the stratosphere.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:38 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:59 PM
er guys there appears to be some kind of mistake, you've started voting quite a lot for Lemon....yet One has 2 votes at the time of writing? And 2 for Mofo what the hell is this?!
Old 01-25-2013, 05:14 AM   #24
Refugee

Hold Me
Old 01-25-2013, 05:25 AM   #25
The Male

I'd rather not.

Now.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #26
War Child

Local Time: 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlaco View Post
Hold Me
Are you saying that you want a hug because you can't bear to see Your Blue Room get kicked out? :P
Old 01-25-2013, 05:45 AM   #27
Refugee

Ybr ofcourse. Expected it to be out a lot sooner.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:46 AM   #28
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I'd rather not.
Ditto
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMirrorSky View Post
Are you saying that you want a hug because you can't bear to see Your Blue Room get kicked out? :P
Nah, just laziness.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #29
Galeonbroad

Well, fack. Now I don't know what to vote for. I love all these songs. Though I guess if I had to judge I love YBR just a little less than One, so I'll go with that.

Lemon came on my ipod on shuffle a few days back, and I find myself going back to listening it whatever the next song is. Damn, that a bleedin' brilliant song!
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 01-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #30
War Child

Local Time: 09:59 PM
All songs are fantastic.

But, really, voting LEMON AND YBR?

Those are not just songs. Those are magical songs.