Best Song Survivor: 1990s/2000s Semifinal, Round Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Interference decided that City of Blinding Lights didn't look so beautiful, and eliminated it. Digitize has now entered grief counseling as a result. But we now move onto round two of the 1990s/2000s semifinals. Twelve songs remain, and they are competing for five slots in finals. You have twenty-four hours to vote against your least favorite song. For anyone just joining us, rules may be found here.

Wow, this is incredibly difficult. I just want to make this into a mix and put it in my car. :up:

NLOTH is perfectly decent, perfectly inoffensive and perfectly expendable. BD is probably U2's best single since Lemon/ Stay. That makes it their best single of the past 20 years. That's gotta count for something.

Meh, for me the best single of the past 20 years would be Electrical Storm.. BD is a good song, but it's nowhere near the rest of this list.

Yeah. The hatred here for songs like BD, Vertigo and COBL is bizarre and frankly a little embarrassing. I'm not sure how many of the haters here realise just how hard it is to write a song like BD, or even Vertigo, that appeals to so many people on so many different levels. Writing pop hits is actually very, very hard work, and ultimately that's what U2 is trying to do. And damn, these guys wrote those songs 20+ years into their career. And used them as a comeback after a significant public backlash. That's no easy feat.

I'm not a huge fan of Vertigo, but I was listening to it on the recent 360 compilation, and damn...what a brilliantly conceived rock song that is with a kick ass hook...I can see why it resonated so much. Beautiful Day, which I think is a better song and frankly is one of the most important singles in U2 career, is very much the same way. I have no problem with people who have voted against it (there's a lot good songs on this list) but those who dismiss it so casually really don't understand the first thing about U2 or their music.

Yeah. The hatred here for songs like BD, Vertigo and COBL is bizarre and frankly a little embarrassing. I'm not sure how many of the haters here realise just how hard it is to write a song like BD, or even Vertigo, that appeals to so many people on so many different levels. Writing pop hits is actually very hard work, and ultimately that's what U2 is trying to do, and have said as much. But this series just seems to give people an excuse to pour out venom on whatever U2 hit they happen to hate.

I'm not a huge fan of Vertigo, but I was listening to it on the recent 360 compilation, and damn...what a brilliantly conceived rock song that is with a kick ass hook...I can see why it resonated so much. Beautiful Day, which I think is a better song and frankly is one of the most important singles in U2 career, is very much the same way. I have no problem with people who have voted against it (there's a lot good songs on this list) but those who dismiss it so casually really don't understand the first thing about U2 or their music.

I completely agree. I just don't understand the "ZOMG POP MOFO GONE THE FLY!!!"-crowd...

Interference has surprised me in several of these rounds, but the fact that Beautiful Day has so many votes is shocking. Unbelievable. Only their best song since Stay. :(

I'm holding my vote to possibly save it.

1.) The Fly
2.) Until The End Of The World
3.) Zooropa
4.) Lemon
5.) Stay

Please should've been here btw.

Can't believe Beaut Day is struggling while Gone and NLOTH linger around without purpose.

Vote NLOTH to save Beaut Day

The 90's must have been hell for the U2 fan who prefers bands like Bon Jovi, Dave Matthews etc.

But Beautiful Day made them feel like home again.

I like Beautiful Day far more than anything by those acts. While I don't believe U2 was called to write the Perfect Pop Song, that one gets pretty damn close.

I'm surprised BD has so many votes. It is such an uplifting song, in my opinion. NLOTH gets my vote.

I like Beautiful Day far more than anything by those acts. While I don't believe U2 was called to write the Perfect Pop Song, that one gets pretty damn close.

Yeah...it is actually possible to like (to varying degrees) 80's, 90's and 00's U2 output. It's not a zero-sum game. My top 5 U2 records have at least one album from each of those decades.

Ultra Violet never should've made it this far.

I'm not fussed about this BD vs NLOTH battle. Neither is the weakest song here, nor do I consider either of them worthy of proceeding to the finals.

Interference decided that City of Blinding Lights didn't look so beautiful, and eliminated it. Digitize has now entered grief counseling as a result.

dazzle is also wearing her grief head-shawl
:)wink:)

I completely agree. I just don't understand the "ZOMG POP MOFO GONE THE FLY!!!"-crowd...

i'm in the ZOMG>>>> ZOOROPA, EBTTRT Crowd myself! :wink:
Can't believe Beautiful Day is struggling while Gone and NLOTH linger around without purpose.

Vote NLOTH to save Beaut Day

oh I dunno....

it brings great uplift & joy to me! in lyrics music andc voc als

a seriously good reason to vote for it

NLOTH is perfectly decent, perfectly inoffensive and perfectly expendable. BD is probably U2's best single since Lemon/ Stay. That makes it their best single of the past 20 years. That's gotta count for something.

Completely agree. Why all the hate for one of the best U2 songs ever? Seriously, I would keep BD over most of the other songs here.

My theory: most of the people who love some of the less commercial songs do so because it's "cool" to like the rarer songs and "not cool" to like the well-known songs. Screw that. BD rocks! (whether it's commercial or not)

My theory: most of the people who love some of the less commercial songs do so because it's "cool" to like the rarer songs and "not cool" to like the well-known songs. Screw that. BD rocks! (whether it's commercial or not)

You are officially declared an Enemy of The Hive.

My theory: most of the people who love some of the less commercial songs do so because it's "cool" to like the rarer songs and "not cool" to like the well-known songs.

UGH.

I just don't love it like everyone else loves it. Sue me.

UGH.

I just don't love it like everyone else loves it. Sue me.

You are officially sued. JK :) It's fine to not like a song if you don't like it for it's own sake. It's ridiculous to not like a song because it's popular and that's the cool thing to do. I'm not saying you're doing that, but it seems a lot of people on interference are into that "I only like U2 deep cuts or not-very-well-known by the general public songs." Popular or not, I like BD. One of the most uplifting songs I've ever heard. It moves me in a way that very few songs do.

Back
Top Bottom