Best Song Survivor: 1980s Semifinal Round Three

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• The Unforgettable Fire

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Where the Streets Have No Name

• New Year's Day

• With or Without You

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Out of Control was voted off in the last round, leaving eleven songs competing for five slots in finals. You have 24 hours to vote for your least favorite song, the next song to be eliminated from this contest. For anyone just joining us, rules may be found here.

This is hard. Put those songs in a different order and you might have the greatest album of all time.

Both Gloria and RTSS are great songs. But at this point I'm not going to worry about having to vote on songs I love. I only aim to help my top 5 move on. So Gloria it is.

All I Want Is You.

I love Gloria and am starting to think it's one of my favorite U2 songs, at least of the 80's. RTSS is one of the first U2 songs I ever loved- can't vote against it now.

SBS.

I'd hate to see Gloria go, one of my faves and at least 10x better than I will follow, shame it wasn't played as often as it live.

The mind boggles that Gloria is under threat. I was going to vote SBS, which I think is clearly the weakest track left, but instead I went with RTSS for Gloria's sake - I'd have voted for it soon enough anyway.

Wow, one can be in denial, but really the 80s were epic for U2. What a collection of songs. Even so, i maintain that Gloria sounds naff and has not stood the test of time, so it gets my vote again.

Can't believe OOC got the boot in the 1st round. It was such a great live song in its day (pre JT).

Gloria is easily one of my favorites here. :(

I'd vote for studio Bad, so my vote is irrelevant.

I have no idea why Boy, and to a lesser extent October is so relatively unpopular here.
I would have thought The Electric Co. and Gloria would have lasted a lot longer...

A comparison with last time is interesting. The eighties semi had exactly the same songs except that Pride made it instead of RTSS. Pride and SBS went first in a tie, then Out of Control followed by TEC, and Gloria was last to go (the rest progressed to the grand final, as we ran a larger final that time). So OOC and especially TEC have under-performed this time compared to last; Gloria will too if it dies in this round; SBS and especially RTSS, on the other hand, are having a good run.

Still, even though Boy/October songs did better last time, none of them did well enough to reach the grand final (even if Gloria was very close!).

Last time, RTSS was the final song eliminated from the late eighties quarter final. Only seven went through to the eighties semi, not eight like this time (there was one more early eighties track instead, hence Pride), so had eight gone through last time, RTSS would have made the finals. Looking at the polling this time, I think that had only seven gone through this time, RTSS would've again just missed out.

I've been surprised this time around by the little Out of Control love. Always thought it was way more popular around here I guess!

Back
Top Bottom