Best of......my ASS!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
daisybean said:
I also wish the track list was different, but hey, at least it has the two new songs on it.

It's better than nothing.
exactly! :D

although i too am :scratch: over the inclusion of the first time and gone. i know it's not unusual (heh) for them to include live favourites as well, since they did that with 80-90. that could explain gone, but i'm still wondering about the first time.

and yes, it does kinda suck that they're including the remixes of discotheque, etc. instead of the originals, but the way i see it is that if i wanted to listen to the pop version of discotheque, i'd put in my pop cd! :D

Well its nice to see that there is life on this thread!!!!I posted last night and I woke up to 28 replys, very nice. Okay, for the people that responded with creative feedback like alot of you.....thank you. You are true U2 fans because you actually said something that others can think about. If what doc who says is the real reason, and u2 will put these songs on the next best of then......fine, see Doc made ME think and now I have changed my tone a bit. As for all you that called me names and basically said I suck.......oh well. I ask all of you this, do you honestly feel that "The first time" is a better HIT(because after all the songs on the greatest hits are not for the hardcore fans, they are for casual fans. The b-sides a really for us) then say Whose gonna ride your wild horses,Lemon(i dont like the song but it would be a better choice then the first time), and many others that im sure you guys/ladies can think of. As for you that said by U2 putting remixs on the album its "original" and not the same boaring things that other bands do.....well you ALL.......have a good point. I still dont like the idea but you do have a point.

A little pathetic

It's a little bit pathetic that we're getting this worked up over a Best Of release. Are all my favorite songs from 1990 to 2000 on there? No, heck no. But I don't expect them to be because they're MY favorites. Not Bono's. Not Adam's. Not Edge's and not Larry's.
I'm excited that in just a couple of months I'll be listening to a new U2 compilation with BRAND NEW remixes of some great tunes, not to mention two new songs. And it will be interesting to hear how the material blends together and how it flows. That was a weakness on the best of from the 80's. When Love Comes to Town and I Will Follow don't sound like the same band.

In addition we'll be getting our hands on some relatively rare b-sides and remixes (not that we all don't have them already) AND we'll be getting a DVD with video's, a history mix and some live performances. And people are COMPLAINING?

MAP

I'm going to go cry because Lemon wasn't on the best of. If you want to, buy the CD, and burn Lemon as the last song. It's not too hard, or maybe, you can make a CD with 15 tracks of Lemon. Then hopefully, then maybe, you'd be happy.

I would like to point out that this is a "Best Of", not a "Greatest Hits". This explains the inclusiong of some of the songs that were not singles such as Gone, The First Time, and Until the End of the World. A greatest hits would include more of the singles that came out in the 90's, like Last Night on Earth, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, and If God Will Send His Angels. I am guessing that U2 felt that Gone, The First Time, and Until the End of the World were better than the other singles they could have chosen. I know Bono especially likes Gone, UTEOTW and The First Time. Of course the DVD has the videos for many of the singles that are missing from the collection. While Lemon and IGWSHA don't appear on the first disc, they are represented by remixes on the limited edition disc. Personally I like the choices of the remixes, they didn't pick any clunkers (like Last Night on Earth (first night in hell mix)). Like I said before, if some of your favorites didn't make it, you always have the original album anyway. A Best Of isn't really aimed at die-hards in the first place since they will own most of the group's material already. U2 did spice it up with the newly remixed tracks and some new songs so that die-hard fans would have a reason to pick it up as well, plus a limited edition 2nd disc as well. Of course everyone has their own opinion and their own personal favorite tracks and U2 can't please everyone unless they made a special Best Of for each individual, but they tried their best to appeal to a wide audience. I think we all need to just be thankful that U2 cares so much about it's fan base that they didn't just ship out a bunch of singles just to make some extra cash. I am looking forward to the upcoming release and the singles of Electrical Storm. :)

I just wish they put on the bitter kiss mix of dirty day instead of the junk day mix as the latter is superior. because of this I will shortly be committing suicide. Unfortunately I have decided to leave my U2 collection to my cat, so don't bother asking.

if lemon is the secret track, ill be a happy bunny; this will definately compensate for what i think is a daft inclusion of The First Time

Matthew_Page2000 said:
It's a little bit pathetic that we're getting this worked up over a Best Of release. Are all my favorite songs from 1990 to 2000 on there? No, heck no. But I don't expect them to be because they're MY favorites. Not Bono's. Not Adam's. Not Edge's and not Larry's.
I'm excited that in just a couple of months I'll be listening to a new U2 compilation with BRAND NEW remixes of some great tunes, not to mention two new songs. And it will be interesting to hear how the material blends together and how it flows. That was a weakness on the best of from the 80's. When Love Comes to Town and I Will Follow don't sound like the same band.

In addition we'll be getting our hands on some relatively rare b-sides and remixes (not that we all don't have them already) AND we'll be getting a DVD with video's, a history mix and some live performances. And people are COMPLAINING?

MAP

My thoughts exactly! :yes: Even I don't agree on the "pathetic" thing. It's not pathetic, it's normal. This is a U2 board, and the next release is The Best Of, so what are we going to talk about? We all wish to see there the songs we thing they are the "best". The problem is we all have different tastes, so it's pretty difficult to have an album that is going to make happy to all of us! :shrug:

Back to listen Electrical Storm again :heart:

Although I would have liked Lemon Please and Walk On this CD, I love what the band is doing. Not everyone is going to be happy about the choices but the band knows that. I believe that the First Time was a favorite of Bono's and he wanted to have it on the disk. The b-sides are OK too.....the remixes are a large part of their identity during this period. They were influenced by the club scene so I think they wanted to reflect that with the b-sides. Even though some songs aren't in the CD, they are in the DVD as videos so everyone gets some song in some form. GOOD JOB BOYS!:up:

Back
Top Bottom