Best of Falls 24 Spots on Billboard Charts in just one week.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
As if debuting behind Justin Timberlake and Eminem didn't suck enough...
The Best of 1990-2000 drops from #3 to #27 in one week, narowly edging out the likes of O-Town and Phil Collins, while losing to Vince McMahon and The Rock... if ya smell what I'm cookin

1. Jay-Z (new)
2. 8-mile
3. Missy Elliot (new)
4. Timberlake
5. Pearl Jam (new)
6. TLC (new)
7. Christina Aguilera
8. 3 Doors Down (new)
9. Eminem
10. Santana
11. Avril Lavigne
12. Elton John (new)
13. World Wrestling Entertainment (new)
14. Dixie Chicks
15. Faith Hill
16. Nirvana
17. Rod Stewart
18. Nelly
19. Saliva (new)
20. Andrea Bocelli
21. Elvis
22. The Rolling Stones
23. Norah Jones
24. Jaheim
25. Rascal Flatts
26. Sean Paul (new)
27. U2
28. O-Town (new)
29. Toby Keith
30. Phil Collins (new)

Closing

Thank you for your efforts in reporting this, but I'm going to close this thread. This news was reported yesterday in more detail (with actual SoundScan sales numbers) in the "Week 2" thread in the "Peeling Off Those Dollar Bills" (POTDB) forum.

Usually, unless there is some VERY important news - like the debut week, a surge in sales or chart positions or a new certification - I try not to post any chart/sales info. in this (EYKIW) forum. The POTDB forum has far more info. on these issues.

Thanks again! :wave:

Last edited:
Suitcase:

I re-opened your thread since you seemed insulted that I closed it.

However, I stand by my comments. The many forums on this site exist for a reason - to make life easier. If people want to see pics of Bono/U2, they can go to PLEBA. If they want to discuss non-U2 topics, there's "Free Your Mind". If they want to discuss charts/sales, there's "Peeling Off Those Dollar Bills." By creating different forums, this makes it easier to navigate and people looking for specific information can find it easier. In contrast, if we all posted in one forum, threads like this would easily get pushed to the bottom and never seen. Therefore, do not be insulted. I closed the thread initially for reasons of logic. I am opening it again only for courtesy. :yes:

hmmmm.......

maybe they should remix it.

Well,whatever.....It's just a greatest hits anyway. U2 didn't promote it in any way. Besides the "Electrical Storm" single, was wasn't promoted well either. I knew that it wouldn't be a big hit at all, and I didn't even think they should've released it. They should've kept "Electrical Storm" for the next album, and released "Hands" for the movie soundtrack, and scrapped the whole Best of idea. But whatever, they do what they want. Let's hope this poor charting is not a vision of what is yet to come in future sales charts for U2.

The_acrobat said:
Well,whatever.....It's just a greatest hits anyway. U2 didn't promote it in any way. Besides the "Electrical Storm" single, was wasn't promoted well either. I knew that it wouldn't be a big hit at all, and I didn't even think they should've released it. They should've kept "Electrical Storm" for the next album, and released "Hands" for the movie soundtrack, and scrapped the whole Best of idea. But whatever, they do what they want. Let's hope this poor charting is not a vision of what is yet to come in future sales charts for U2.

I don't know if you consider "no promotion" as including projecting video images from the Best Of onto buildings around the world, but that was just one of their promotional activities.

Also, endless advertising.. the current Best Of tv special on MTV2, and TiVo showing a Best Of commercial and the Electrical Storm video for its subscribers.

Historically, bands don't always heavily promote "greatest hits" albums as much as all-new material albums. U2 have been on countless magazine covers recently, and have granted several interviews. I would say that was good enough promotion for me.

As for chart sucess with the new compilation - we're approaching the holiday season - give it time. Greatest Hits albums (for many artists) don't always achieve chart gold. Debuting at #3 was pretty darn good.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
thank you for re-opening my post... sorry if i sounded a little pissy when ya closed it, but as you can see with the 130+ views, i wasn't wrong for thinking it shoulda been left open. so :tongue: :evil: :laugh: :hmm: :hyper: :drunk: :combust: :coocoo:

A lot of people probably viewed it when it was closed...they were hopin' to find somethin' scandalous. :D

Headache in a Suitcase said:
thank you for re-opening my post... sorry if i sounded a little pissy when ya closed it, but as you can see with the 130+ views, i wasn't wrong for thinking it shoulda been left open. so :tongue: :evil: :laugh: :hmm: :hyper: :drunk: :combust: :coocoo:

True... there are a lot of views for this thread, but the one (for Week 2) in "Peeling Off Those Dollar Bills" has over 500 views, so there. :p

Also, as I mentioned in the Week 2 thread in the other forum, one important point is that the single CD version of the "Best Of" was released this week. That point was not emphasized in your original post - which is misleading. The single CD version of the 90's "Best Of" sold very well this past week. If we combine the sales for BOTH version of the CD, they are near 100,000 copies - good enough to have charted at #13 this week. In other words, the sales drop really wasn't as dramatic as it appears at first. The sales were more or less split in two between the two versions of the "Best Of".

In fact, the single CD version of the 90's "Best Of" charted and sold better its first week than the single CD version of the 80's "Best Of"! This is why the 3-disc version dropped so much in its first week (as compared to the 2-CD version of the 80's "Best Of" several years ago).

As was already mentioned, with the holiday season now nearly upon us, I expect both version of the CD to sell well for the next 5-6 weeks. And that's all that's really important. After that, the 90's "Best Of" will probably be a staple on the Catalog charts, just as the 80's "Best Of" has been.

Last edited:
IMO this CD will not sell as well as the last because the selection of songs will not generate the same kind of buzz that the last Best of did, in particular the b sides. We can debate all day long about the A sides omissions(The Fly (still stunned that this is not on the disc), Please which is IMO one of my top 5 faves, Lemon), but the real misstep of this collection is the b sides. Maybe one or two remixes...fine. But the fact that they left off several studio b sides in favor of the throwaway remixes (that I don't even consider U2 songs) was really stupid. I know several non-U2 fans who got the last best because of the word of mouth that spread over the b sides disc. The reason the last collection sold well was because it had "legs" as the say. There is a greta article on @u2 about the b sides debaucle.

One last thought: Let me preface by saying that I prefer the 90's material to the 80's material; however, the "hits" of the 90's ( as far as Joe Public is concerned) for the most part just don't stack up to the 80's anthems, and that is the reason this disc will not sell well. I do believe however that the selction (the presence of ATYCLB whiuch was released two days ago, the above mentioned omissions, and the horrendous b sides disc) of songs will only exacerbate this fact.

Last edited:
ultraviolet353 said:
IMO this CD will not sell as well as the last because the selection of songs will not generate the same kind of buzz that the last Best of did, in particular the b sides. We can debate all day long about the A sides omissions(The Fly (still stunned that this is not on the disc), Please which is IMO one of my top 5 faves, Lemon), but the real misstep of this collection is the b sides. Maybe one or two remixes...fine. But the fact that they left off several studio b sides in favor of the throwaway remixes (that I don't even consider U2 songs) was really stupid. I know several non-U2 fans who got the last best because of the word of mouth that spread over the b sides disc. The reason the last collection sold well was because it had "legs" as the say. There is a greta article on @u2 about the b sides debaucle.

I fully agree with your comments about the 90's b-sides disc. I applaud U2 for putting on a some remixes, like that for "Lemon" and "Dirty Day" as not only were those songs true b-sides, but it also gave U2 a chance to showcase a few other great 90's era songs that were not included on the main disc. However, to have a remix of "Discotheque" over "Holy Joe" is inexcusable. To have another version of "Numb" over "Ground Beneath Her Feet" is ridiculous. To have that horrible mix of "If God Will Send..." vs. "Big Girls are Best" is truly asinine. I love what U2 did to their main disc! I adore the new mixes, I felt U2 truly included their best songs (and those of you who want "The Fly" - just order the U.K. version of the album) as opposed to their "hits" (as was featured all too predominantly on their 80's "Best Of") and I like the arrangement. But U2 flopped on the b-sides.

Nonetheless, I disagree with the comment that this 90's "Best Of" won't sell well because of the b-sides. This is because the 80's single CD version of the "Best Of" has now gone 2x Platinum in the U.S. In other words, the single CD version (the one without the b-sides) has sold VERY well in the U.S. I ultimately expect the same success from the 90's single CD version. The b-sides is just promotional (at least for the moment - obviously we all know that the 80's "Best Of" with the b-sides is still readily available).

Back
Top Bottom