Best of DVD is what the CD SHOULD have been...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultraviolet353

War Child
...just got the DVD and it is incredible. IMO, it has what the CD is missing (The Fly, Lemon, TGBHF and Please in addition to other singles WGRYWH, LNOE, and IGWSHA). Seeing all these tracks together only reinforces my opinion that the CD Best of is really lacking. The videos are great too. I love the Godley version of SIAM. WE americans had to endure the hideous Kahn SIAM video. I am so pleased with this. Now if they would only release POPMART, Best of 1980-1990, ZooTV, et al on DVD I would really be happy.

I would like to know what the DVD ROM features are as I do not have one.

ultraviolet353 said:
...just got the DVD and it is incredible. IMO, it has what the CD is missing (The Fly, Lemon, TGBHF and Please in addition to other singles WGRYWH, LNOE, and IGWSHA). Seeing all these tracks together only reinforces my opinion that the CD Best of is really lacking. The videos are great too. I love the Godley version of SIAM. WE americans had to endure the hideous Kahn SIAM video. I am so pleased with this. Now if they would only release POPMART, Best of 1980-1990, ZooTV, et al on DVD I would really be happy.

I would like to know what the DVD ROM features are as I do not have one.

I agree. The tracklist is definitely stronger than the CD. I was happy (and surprised) to see TGBHF on there as well. The extra spot in the package for the History Mix DVD is very cool too. Only thing I wish they kept was the original lyric on Mysterious Ways. It is the same version as the Best of CD. Not a big deal, but not on the original video. That video in particular looks great 10 years on. I'm looking forward to listening to the commentaries when I get a chance. Oh yeah....The Godley version of Stuck is so much better than the Kahn version. I think the Kahn version is my least favorite U2 video.

gone looked so great on DVD:yes:, better than the VHS. Ground Beneath Her Feet made me weep(so powerful) :sad: . is it just me or does the version of Wild Horses that goes with the video sounds like a medley of the Achtung Baby version and the Temple Bar Remix version? :scratch:

kingofsorrow said:
gone looked so great on DVD:yes:, better than the VHS. Ground Beneath Her Feet made me weep(so powerful) :sad: . is it just me or does the version of Wild Horses that goes with the video sounds like a medley of the Achtung Baby version and the Temple Bar Remix version? :scratch:

TGBHF video is very powerful. I actually like it better than the MDH movie. :wink: I haven't watched Wild Horses on the DVD yet but I think the original video was the Temple Bar Remix.

One other thing. The Last Night On Earth video was a different cut, at least to what I've seen here in the US. It didn't have the big words on the screen and some scenes were slightly different. Anyone know if this is the European version?

Hawkmoon1021 said:
Only thing I wish they kept was the original lyric on Mysterious Ways. It is the same version as the Best of CD. Not a big deal, but not on the original video.

[rant] So they used the changed lyrics in the MW video? Those poopyheads! What's wrong with "she sees the man inside the chiiiiild?" That's one of the best parts of the song! [/rant]

The DVD does sound excellent, though! :D I'm hoping to get it for Christmas. The directors' commentaries should be interesting.

Hello,

I agree that the DVD has a better collection of U2 songs than the CD but one point has to be made: an audio CD cannot hold as much music as a DVD so some choices have to be made. With that in mind I think the audio CD tracklisting is very good. I personally would have liked to see Lemon on it, but that's the only thing. My personal preference is that a Best Of... should never have more than 4 songs of one album, so for those who wanted to see The Fly or WGRYWH included, pick your AB-track to be left of the collection (MW? One? UTEOTW? EBTTRT? Actually, I can live with a substitution of EBTTRT by The Fly, but I think many others would then start to complain).

As for the LNOE-video. We Europeans also had the version with the text on the screen. I liked it, it made the video even more B-movie trash (I mean this in a positive way). I'm going to get this DVD for Christmas, so I still have to wait a short while before I can see everything.

C ya!

Marty

Why did U2 leave all the good stuff off the VHS version but put it on the DVD?

STING2 said:
Why did U2 leave all the good stuff off the VHS version but put it on the DVD?

The VHS is always going to be a maximum of 2 hours (SP). Making it a two or more tape set will get cumbersome and expensive.

Plus, it is about market forces. Those who buy DVD sets have expectations that it will have more than the VHS edition. It is this reason why the industry believes that DVDs are the fastest growing segment in technology.

(LOL...I never thought I would be saying paragraph 2 to you. ;))

Melon

kingofsorrow said:
is it just me or does the version of Wild Horses that goes with the video sounds like a medley of the Achtung Baby version and the Temple Bar Remix version? :scratch:

I was thinking the same thing myself. It sounds like a combo of the two..untill it gets into the verse, where it's the Temple Bar mix.

Weird.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom