Best Of...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should ATYCLB be included with the Best Of

• Yes - there's not enough material otherwise, or i love it so much etc.

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • No - there won't be enough room, it's too soon to be putting those songs on, etc

Votes: 57 81.4%

• Total voters

SkeeK

The Original, Rock n' Roll Doggie, VIP PASS
I've been interested to see if there's any sort of general consensus on this for a while...

Personally I think there's plenty of material from just the 90s, not to mention it has a different sound. I think it would be good without ATYCLB on it because it would introduce people to the 90s stuff. and there really isn't enough room for it + atyclb, unless you leave off some really key songs.

I think it should go like this:

1980-1990 (well, they did that one already!)
1991-2000
2001-2010

so I would really put ATYCLB on the third one.

I don't want the ATYCLB tunes on the '90s Best Of. I know, it's technically Best of 1990-2000, and ATYCLB was released in 2000, but the style is so different from the '90s work that it makes a lot more sense to save those songs for the third Best Of. Besides, ATYCLB was released just two years ago and the new U2 fans who came in with that album probably already own it and would be more interested in exploring the earlier stuff more in depth - at least that's how I would feel if I were a new fan.

If they must use ATYCLB songs on the Best Of, I hope they just go with one or two (Beautiful Day and Walk On seem like obvious choices) rather than all four that were released at singles. At least that way there might be room for stuff like "The Ground Beneath Her Feet." I would love to see that on the Best Of, since I don't have it yet.

Bono's shades said:
At least that way there might be room for stuff like "The Ground Beneath Her Feet." I would love to see that on the Best Of, since I don't have it yet.

Yeah...But you should really pick up the MDH soundtrack too! Some great tunes there.

wertsie said:
I think it should go like this:

1980-1990 (well, they did that one already!)
1991-2000
2001-2010

so I would really put ATYCLB on the third one.

But then you are contradicting yourself.

Both the MDH soundtrack and ATYCLB were released in 2000. Therefore, if U2 use the guidelines you wrote above, ATYCLB material would appear on this second Best Of.

I actually think it should be broken down more precisely by the years in a decade. For example:

1980-1989
1990-1999
2000-2009

This way, with this second Best Of they can include "Night and Day" and some of the other buried treasures they did in the 90's.

Plus, if they include the ATYCLB material on this second Best Of, I just don't think it will sell. After all, people just bought ATYCLB. Why buy a Best Of with ATYCLB material on it when they might have just purchased ATYCLB? But by putting ATYCLB on the third Best Of, people will look back on it fondly and get that third Best Of because of the ATYCLB songs. Make sense? That is, people bought the first Best Of because of their fondness for JT, War and UF. They'll buy the second Best Of mostly because of their fondness for AB and select songs like "Hold Me...". Then, years from now, they'll buy the third Best Of because of their fondness for ATYCLB (and anything U2 releases in the future). It's good marketing strategy that assures all three Best Of albums will sell well.

I agree quite strongly with what most people have said here.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who thinks ATYCLB should be on it.. I really can't see it though, there's so many reasons for it not to be.

Just the 90's stuff!! ATYCLB doesn't fit, not to mention, as a marketing strategy, they should save ATYCLB just in case (not that it would happen...) U2's next few albums are all that good/popular.

SkeeK said:
I agree quite strongly with what most people have said here.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who thinks ATYCLB should be on it.. I really can't see it though, there's so many reasons for it not to be.

I said yes because it never occurred to me that ATYCLB would not be included on the next Best Of. I think that sometimes a compiltaion disk is a really great way to close a chapter on something, like Madonna's two GH disks, and I think by U2 including ATYCLB on this disk they can show the progress they made, how they evolved from a rock 'n roll four piece to electronic innovators to a combination of the two, seal it up with a little ribbon and move on to the next mission.
So many people have said that the songs from ATYCLB don't really fit in well with tracks from Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop, but I think once all the songs are packaged together we'll be able to see similarities in theme, sound and tone that we never thought of before.

flaming philosopher

here's a thought:

if they release a 1990-2000 best of they might include bd and not the other singles of atyclb. these tracks were released as we all know in 2001 as singles that is.

why not? they could then put the other singles on the next best of.

i personally would like it. all the great 90s stuff and as a final song bd.

doctorwho said:

But then you are contradicting yourself.

No, I'm not...While ATYCLB was released in 2000, every single from it except BD was released in 2001 or later...And ATYCLB was released at the end of 2000, so it could feasibly work with 2001-2010. Don't know where I'd place TGBHF, I guess.

I don't think people should get hung up on the dates. Obviously with the last Best of..... being 1980-1990, this one will be 1990-2000. The third one will be 2000 to 2010. ATYCLB will be on the third one. After all it is 2000 to 2010 so it can include stuff from 2000. But really, ATYCLB has not even been out two years. Can you name a single studio album that had its hits lifted from it to be placed on a Best Of..... compilation two or less years after that studio album was released?

STING2 said:
Can you name a single studio album that had its hits lifted from it to be placed on a Best Of..... compilation two or less years after that studio album was released?

Madonna's second greatest hits came out late last year and included tracks from "Music," an album that was about a year old at the time.

Well I think that is rare and from a business perspective reflects the fact that her management does not see a strong catalog sales future for "Music". ATYCLB on the other hand continues to sale well even in Week 85. Best of's are typically released when the sale of catalog(2 years or older) albums starts to significantly slow.

STING2 said:
Well I think that is rare and from a business perspective reflects the fact that her management does not see a strong catalog sales future for "Music". ATYCLB on the other hand continues to sale well even in Week 85. Best of's are typically released when the sale of catalog(2 years or older) albums starts to significantly slow.

I don't think that's the case at all. In fact I believe that when "The Immaculate Collection" came out in the early '90s, "I'm Breathless" had just recently come out. In Madonna's case, and possible U2's, I don't think the inclusion of recent singles on a greatest hits compilation means that the record company doesn't feel there is room for continued sales, I think it may just be the closing of one chapter.

Outkast's greatest hits album came out a few months ago and contained tracks from Stankonia (which was released the same day as ATYCLB)

But even so, I still am just really opposed to the idea of having the atyclb stuff on this upcomin Best Of. But it seems like we're just gonna have to deal with it.

Maybe many of you have seen this already, and it may or not be true, but anyway, here it is again:

from atu2.com:

May 28, 2002: @U2's Jo Whitby reports that U2's next "Best Of" album is listed on a "new releases" poster at a local Virgin Megastore. The album is listed as Best of 1990-2001 and has a UK release date of November 11, 2002, listed. (Which typically means a Nov. 12th release date in North America....)

If I had to bet $$ on this I'd bet they add ATYCLB on the Best of compilation.... though I am starting to agree with the many that don't believe it should be there. I just think that they won't feel there are enough hits from the three albums released in the 90's. Sure there were a lot of side projects... but for them to want them forever emblazed on a Best of? I dunno. Just wait it out and see, but don't be surprised to see BD, Walk On and Stuck on that CD. Just my opinion.

Angel said:
don't be surprised to see BD, Walk On and Stuck on that CD. Just my opinion.

I definately won't be at all surprised. But I won't be pleased either.

we will all probably be wrong, but i hope to god that they do NOT include atyclb on it. i know a lot of people who know i hate that album will think that's my reasoning, but it's not.

think of their 90's releases: achtung baby, zooropa, passengers (well, technically...), and pop.

how well would atyclb fit in with this stuff? their 90's stuff was more on the experimental side, whereas i don't think you could classify atyclb like that. it has nothing to do with the newness of the album or how much it's sold, it's just a matter of it not meshing well with their actual 90's albums.

and besides, night and day wasn't included on the best of (i hope it'll be on this one!) so that might go to show that they considered, for example, 1980-1990 to be 1-1-80 through 1-1-90, thus really meaning only 80's stuff, but maybe they put 1990 instead of 1989 since it just looks better? i dunno.

Best Of 1991-1999

1.Discotheque
2.Lemon
3.Even better than the real thing
4.Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me
5.Gone
6.Staring at the sun
7.Stay
8.Last night on earth
9.Until the end of the world
10.The Fly
11.Mysterious Ways
12.If God will send his angels
13.Miss Sarajevo
14.Please
15.One

What a great CD. :yes:
I think that our boys will release a few more albums.A BEST OF 2000-2010 would be a better place for the songs of ATYCLB.

Last edited:
I think that the songs should be included. They were some defining moments in that record and they are within the time frame. Just because the album has a less experimental feel then the other three doesn't mean it should be excluded. We should just say, "well, in these 10 years U2 was diverse as hell", Lets celebrate this one!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom