Best Of... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Should ATYCLB be included with the Best Of
Yes - there's not enough material otherwise, or i love it so much etc. 13 18.57%
No - there won't be enough room, it's too soon to be putting those songs on, etc 57 81.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2002, 07:16 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:21 AM
Well I think that is rare and from a business perspective reflects the fact that her management does not see a strong catalog sales future for "Music". ATYCLB on the other hand continues to sale well even in Week 85. Best of's are typically released when the sale of catalog(2 years or older) albums starts to significantly slow.

Old 06-18-2002, 11:37 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
Well I think that is rare and from a business perspective reflects the fact that her management does not see a strong catalog sales future for "Music". ATYCLB on the other hand continues to sale well even in Week 85. Best of's are typically released when the sale of catalog(2 years or older) albums starts to significantly slow.
I don't think that's the case at all. In fact I believe that when "The Immaculate Collection" came out in the early '90s, "I'm Breathless" had just recently come out. In Madonna's case, and possible U2's, I don't think the inclusion of recent singles on a greatest hits compilation means that the record company doesn't feel there is room for continued sales, I think it may just be the closing of one chapter.

Old 06-19-2002, 04:30 PM   #18
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:21 AM
Outkast's greatest hits album came out a few months ago and contained tracks from Stankonia (which was released the same day as ATYCLB)

But even so, I still am just really opposed to the idea of having the atyclb stuff on this upcomin Best Of. But it seems like we're just gonna have to deal with it.
Old 06-19-2002, 04:47 PM   #19
War Child

Maybe many of you have seen this already, and it may or not be true, but anyway, here it is again:

from atu2.com:

May 28, 2002: @U2's Jo Whitby reports that U2's next "Best Of" album is listed on a "new releases" poster at a local Virgin Megastore. The album is listed as Best of 1990-2001 and has a UK release date of November 11, 2002, listed. (Which typically means a Nov. 12th release date in North America....)
Old 06-19-2002, 08:10 PM   #20
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Local Time: 02:21 AM
If I had to bet $$ on this I'd bet they add ATYCLB on the Best of compilation.... though I am starting to agree with the many that don't believe it should be there. I just think that they won't feel there are enough hits from the three albums released in the 90's. Sure there were a lot of side projects... but for them to want them forever emblazed on a Best of? I dunno. Just wait it out and see, but don't be surprised to see BD, Walk On and Stuck on that CD. Just my opinion.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:02 AM   #21
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Angel
don't be surprised to see BD, Walk On and Stuck on that CD. Just my opinion.
I definately won't be at all surprised. But I won't be pleased either.
Old 06-20-2002, 11:00 AM   #22
The Fly

NO!!! It's definitely too soon to put ATYCLB songs on Best Of!
Old 06-20-2002, 02:54 PM   #23
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 12:21 AM
we will all probably be wrong, but i hope to god that they do NOT include atyclb on it. i know a lot of people who know i hate that album will think that's my reasoning, but it's not.

think of their 90's releases: achtung baby, zooropa, passengers (well, technically...), and pop.

how well would atyclb fit in with this stuff? their 90's stuff was more on the experimental side, whereas i don't think you could classify atyclb like that. it has nothing to do with the newness of the album or how much it's sold, it's just a matter of it not meshing well with their actual 90's albums.

and besides, night and day wasn't included on the best of (i hope it'll be on this one!) so that might go to show that they considered, for example, 1980-1990 to be 1-1-80 through 1-1-90, thus really meaning only 80's stuff, but maybe they put 1990 instead of 1989 since it just looks better? i dunno.
Old 06-20-2002, 03:43 PM   #24
The Fly

Best Of 1991-1999

1.Discotheque
2.Lemon
3.Even better than the real thing
4.Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me
5.Gone
6.Staring at the sun
7.Stay
8.Last night on earth
9.Until the end of the world
10.The Fly
11.Mysterious Ways
12.If God will send his angels
13.Miss Sarajevo
14.Please
15.One

What a great CD.
I think that our boys will release a few more albums.A BEST OF 2000-2010 would be a better place for the songs of ATYCLB.
Old 06-20-2002, 11:17 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:21 AM
I think that the songs should be included. They were some defining moments in that record and they are within the time frame. Just because the album has a less experimental feel then the other three doesn't mean it should be excluded. We should just say, "well, in these 10 years U2 was diverse as hell", Lets celebrate this one!