Best of 2000-2010 - yay or nay ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In all likelihood, the very reason U2 split ATYCLB for the Best Of is due to estimation of output for the following decade. Three albums after ATYCLB would have been the only realistic estimate, which perfectly justifies an even split of the singles between the two decades.

Achtung + Zooropa + Pop + miss sarajevo + half of ATYCLB = HTDAAB + U2 with brian and danny + U2 with rubin + Windows + half of ATYCLB.

Now, naysayers will likely point out that U2 with brian and danny isn't really U2. This is reasonable, but calling this "Passengers 2" really isn't accurate given the nature of the project (it will not be nearly as "difficult-sounding" and will therefore spawn more than 1 Best-Of type song).

Last edited:
Rich79 said:

I definitely don't count ATYCLB as being qualified for a 2000-2010 compilation, since they already chose songs from it on 1990-2000. I'm sure they would 'cheat' and use it just to round out a compilation though if the need arose, since everyone seems to be in love with that album. I would just hope if that is the case, they use the big songs that weren't on the 90's compilation (Walk On, Kite (and Elevation, although I don't think it deserves to be on any "best of" but I guess that's a topic for another discussion.).

So, this is why I'd want HTDAAB plus 2 more and the extra project just so we don't have to tread down the ATYCLB road again. Like I said though; preferably no "Best of 2000-2010". So, still "Nay".

When you say "everyone seems to be in love" with ATYCLB, who are you referring to? This is perhaps true with the general public, but I don't see that viewpoint usually expressed among die-hards.

You know what, as much as a logical idea of decade-spanning best-ofs seems, U2 will simply release whatever they feel is the best business decision.

We all know that the first round of best-ofs, especially that crucial 80-90 one, was one part of a campaign to get the U2 machine back on track after the perceived blunder of Pop. And the U218 package was an attempt to reign in some of the younger demographic and fill a holiday-season hole.

Almost everything U2 does is extremely reactionary. So if in 5 years this sounds like a smart money move, they'll do it. If not, well, they won't.

bram said:
I think the Indie Rock/Indie Label mini-revolution has shown that there is a healthy market of individuals who are serious about the album as the ideal presentation of music (regardless of whether the album is digital or hard copy--just look at the response to Radiohead's "In Rainbows", although I realize few bands can pull this particular stunt off). Rather than waning, I think that this audience is actually getting larger.

Oh yeah, I agree with this.

But a best of package? I don't know. It would be interesting to see who is actually buying hard copy best-of discs these days? Older folks that tend to be less technically savvy? I mean, besides freakish U2 completists...

I generally don't dig best-ofs anyway. But at this point, if I really wanted to collect my favorite songs from some band that I didn't want to get too involved with, I would just assemble my own mix from downloads.

bram said:

When you say "everyone seems to be in love" with ATYCLB, who are you referring to? This is perhaps true with the general public, but I don't see that viewpoint usually expressed among die-hards.

I suppose I shouldn't make sweeping generalizations like that. It just seemed to me that Pop was perceived as a mistake and that everyone ate up ATYCLB because it was a "back to chart-topping pop songs" record. I assumed it was true amongst most hardcore fans as well, but I guess I never bothered to find out for sure.

I guess I'm just bitter because ATYCLB got such a big reaction when it came out and it seemed like its sole purpose was to distance the band from the amazing work they did in the 90's (One big reason why I love the idea of their next album being more experimental).

They will, I'm sure, release one. I imagine:

ATYCLB

Elevation
Walk On
Kite

HTDAAB

Vertigo
SYCMIOYO
COBL
OOTS

U218
Saints Are Coming
WITS

That's nine. Then you get at least four from the new album, and maybe a bonus track and/or song from the project.

i generally like the idea.
i think the cover will probably be some alternate shot of them at the DeGaulles airport (a la the atyclb cover)

okay, i'm prepared to be laughed at here but when the best of 90-00 came out, i pictured them releasing five of these in total, meaning yes i think they'll stay together until 2030. and then perhaps retire.

i agree with everyone who thinks they'll have plenty of material for a 00-10 if they want to, and i had the exact same thought when they put two atyclb singles on 90-00... (that they were saving the other two for the next best of)

you'll notice that the years ending in "0" are included in the titles of two albums, so this gives them special flexibility chronologically, so i don't even consider that cheating..

i think the main thing that threatens to derail the plan is if in 5 years time mp3s and ipods etc have caught on to the degree that physical CDs do become irrelevant.

i've posed this question on the board before... does the rise of mp3s threaten the concept of an "album."

i think that it will eventually, though it will happen gradually.

i think albums will still be the standard in five years time, but i'm not sure about 15, and i am really skeptical about 25 years from now.

bram said:
For all those who immediately say "nay", keep in mind that this release would be at least 5 years off.

Also, I doubt they'd repeat songs from 1990-2000, although they could conceivably throw WITS on there because it wasn't on one of the olympic medal-colored best-ofs yet. Definitely not "Saints" because it isn't their song and it features another band, and isn't great, etc.

With two more albums coming, this could atually work more easily than 1990-2000.

First, you pretend like U218 never happened and that it was just to get out of the record contract faster/be a companion to U2byU2 (and it isn't really related to the first 2 best ofs, so this doesn't require a big stretch of the imagination).

Then, you take the remaining 2 singles from ATYCLB plus Kite, then the 5 singles from HTDAAB. So that's an easy 8. Windows is 9. 2-3 from Passengers 2 and 4 from new U2 and you have a Best of that is busting from the seems.

If you don't like their recent material/singles, that's fine, but you should still be able to admit that the decade would justify a bronze Best Of in the vein of the other two.

Agreed.
Except I don't know about WITS making it on this Best of...on the other hand S. Thing made it on U2:18 so...and there is no way ATYCLB is only getting 2 songs (or missing BD) on this theoretical Best of.

It could be argued U2:18 was basically a premature Best of 2000-2010, what with featuring so many songs off this era. So likely this makes the "bronze" Best of redundant.

As for not enough creativity talk, again, they have just as much to work with as they did with the 90's Best of - 3 albums and the extra project, which may lend more songs as Passengers, and let's not leave out MDH soundtrack completely. (and we're getting three instead of two tours this decade)

Zootlesque said:
Since the next album will probably come out in 2012 (Bono says 2008 = 2012 for me :happy: )

Well then, I guess Adam has some explaining to do. He said 2008 months ago.

For those who think they should include Beautiful Day on 00-10 despite it's inclusion on 90-00, they should also put Electrical Storm and Hands That Built America on 00-10. Hell, maybe Gone (New Mix). Now they only need one album to fill up the rest.

U2girl said:
and there is no way ATYCLB is only getting 2 songs (or missing BD) on this theoretical Best of.

Beautiful Day and Stuck in a Moment were on the last Best Of, so they have zero chance of being on this one.

bram said:

then "die-hards" are hella foolish :(

as for another Best-Of, I think it would incredibly stupid of them to release another in this decade at least. Especially if [as everyone's guessing] it includes Beautiful Day, regardless of how big it was seven years ago. There'd really be NOTHING anyone can say in U2's defence when the majority start shouting 'greed!' and so on...

edit - oh, and...

Zootlesque said:
Least productive decade ever in the history of music I think. :down:
you're not a kraftwerk fan then? :wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom