Best of 2000-2010 - Not looking good...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If there's another best-of I think Mercy will be on it, and that it will be released as a single before the next album.

2 songs off ATYCLB, 4 songs off Bomb, 1 or two new songs does seem little now.
Then again, that is another argument why U2 will IMO pick up the tempo with releasing albums.

Ok.. here's imo what the Best of 1980-1990 should have looked like:

1. Where the Streets Have no Name (edit)
2. MLK
3. Pride
4. I Will Follow
5. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
6. Angel Of Harlem
7. Gloria
8. Desire
9. Sunday Bloody Sunday
10. Bad (Edit)
11. October
12. New Year's Day ("Video Version")
13. The Unforgettable Fire
14. Bullet The Blue Sky
15. Running To Stand Still
16. All I Want Is You (Edit)
17. With Or Without You
18. Out Of Control
19. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock (Longer Version)
20. The Electric Co
21. 40
22. Trash Trampoline And The Party Girl

All in all just under 1h 30 mins wich can fit on a 90 min cd. Wonder about the song selection? It's not based on my personal favorites, although I must say I like the selection alot. These are simply the songs from 1980-1990 that have been performed the most times live. (check http://www.elevation-tour.com/all-songnames.html).

Hola amigos:wave:

Read reviews on amazon.com, I found an interesting idea :up: :yes:

Where's the long-time rumored 'The Rest Of The Best'?, February 23, 2005

I just want to see out there their long-time rumored 'The Rest Of The Best'. My suggestions:

CD1: 1- Out Of Control, 2- The Electric Co, 3- Gloria, 4- I Threw a Brick Through a Window, 5- A Celebration, 6- Seconds, 7- Two Hearts Beat As One, 8- '40', 9- A Sort Of Homecoming, 10- MLK, 11- Bullet The Blue Sky, 12- Running To Stand Still, 13- In God's Country, 14- One Tree Hill, 15- God Part II, 16- Heartland

CD2: 1- Zoo Station, 2- The Fly, 3- Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, 4- Acrobat, 5- Love Is Blindness, 6- Zooropa, 7- Numb (ORIGINAL), 8- Lemon, 9- Discothèque (ORIGINAL), 10- Staring at the Sun (ORIGINAL), 11- Last Night on Earth (Single), 12- Mofo, 13- Please (Single), 14- Elevation, 15- Kite, 16- Walk On.

THAT´S A REAL MUST HAVE COMPILATION !!! :applaud: :rockon: :bump: :drool: :laugh: :D :heart:

ponkine said:
Hola amigos:wave:

Read reviews on amazon.com, I found an interesting idea :up: :yes:

Where's the long-time rumored 'The Rest Of The Best'?, February 23, 2005

I just want to see out there their long-time rumored 'The Rest Of The Best'. My suggestions:

CD1: 1- Out Of Control, 2- The Electric Co, 3- Gloria, 4- I Threw a Brick Through a Window, 5- A Celebration, 6- Seconds, 7- Two Hearts Beat As One, 8- '40', 9- A Sort Of Homecoming, 10- MLK, 11- Bullet The Blue Sky, 12- Running To Stand Still, 13- In God's Country, 14- One Tree Hill, 15- God Part II, 16- Heartland

CD2: 1- Zoo Station, 2- The Fly, 3- Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, 4- Acrobat, 5- Love Is Blindness, 6- Zooropa, 7- Numb (ORIGINAL), 8- Lemon, 9- Discothèque (ORIGINAL), 10- Staring at the Sun (ORIGINAL), 11- Last Night on Earth (Single), 12- Mofo, 13- Please (Single), 14- Elevation, 15- Kite, 16- Walk On.

THAT´S A REAL MUST HAVE COMPILATION !!! :applaud: :rockon: :bump: :drool: :laugh: :D :heart:

wow, that's probably the only good post you've ever made!! I'd put Fire instead of Brick and 11 'O Clock Tick Tock instead of A Celebration, but that's just me.

The Rest of the Best is better than the Best Of. Especially the second disc. The 80's Best Of was pretty good.

I hope Mercy doesn't get just stuck on a Best Of. It deserves to be on a proper album.

AtomicBono said:

wow, that's probably the only good post you've ever made!! I'd put Fire instead of Brick and 11 'O Clock Tick Tock instead of A Celebration, but that's just me.

The Rest of the Best is better than the Best Of. Especially the second disc. The 80's Best Of was pretty good.

I hope Mercy doesn't get just stuck on a Best Of. It deserves to be on a proper album.
I´ve done good post many times before :(.

Well, the Rest Of The Best is probably the best idea I´ve ever read about U2. A 2 CD set to make justice to those "Best Of", specially the extremely poorly compiled Best of 1990-2000. :yes: :love:

I think adding 11 O Clock Tick Tock and A Celebration are a real gems, since those track are still unavailable in any album :down: Still I´d put If God Will Send His Angels instead of Elevation.

[:tsk: Ignorant, offensive mod/staff bashing part of post removed. Peace! :wave: - neutral ]
Peace :wave:

Last edited:
Are you kidding? They've got a nice start.......and with a planned album that will be thrown out there soon (a la Zooropa) and a final album, there's still going to be tons of tracks to choose from.........

Here's what we've got so far:

1. Elevation
2. All Because Of You
3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
4. Vertigo
5. City Of Blinding Lights
6. Walk On

Don't forget 2 new songs, and even if they have just three songs from each of the last two albums, the total will be at 14 tracks (15 with "Kite")......

ponkine said:
I´ve done good post many times before :(.

Well, the Rest Of The Best is probably the best idea I´ve ever read about U2. A 2 CD set to make justice to those "Best Of", specially the extremely poorly compiled Best of 1990-2000. :yes: :love:

I think adding 11 O Clock Tick Tock and A Celebration are a real gems, since those track are still unavailable in any album :down: Still I´d put If God Will Send His Angels instead of Elevation.

[ponkine's quoted nonsense removed - neutral]

Peace :wave:

I'm sorry, but most of your posts tend to be using a million adjectives to convey how worthless and disappointing you find U2 to be at this point, followed by a horde of smilies.

I do, however, agree with your sentiments on this. And If God... is a million times better than Elevation.

AtomicBono said:
I'm sorry, but most of your posts tend to be using a million adjectives to convey how worthless and disappointing you find U2 to be at this point, followed by a horde of smilies.
:lmao: :laugh:
Sorry, ponkine, but you have to admit, that was pretty funny.

AtomicBono said:
Their Best Ofs BLOW. The 80s Best Of totally neglects October except for ONE BONUS track...and the 90s...oh god.

1. Where the fuck is THE FLY?! Come on. The Fly is better than any other song from AB on the Best Of except One. The Fly was the first single, one of their most important singles, one of their best songs. There is NO good reason for leaving it off.
2. Numb, Discotheque, Gone, Staring at the Sun - why all these new mixes? Just put the album versions on there, you know, the ones that were actually OUT in 1990-2000.
3. Speaking of Staring at the Sun...no. Good song but Please is far superior, as are Last Night on Earth and If God Will Send His Angels.
4. How about The Ground Beneath Her Feet, one of their best songs? they could at least put it on the b-sides...
5. B-sides. Thanks for a bunch of crappy dance remixes. Nevermind songs like Holy Joe, I want to hear a 10 minute version of Discotheque!!
6. WHY THE HELL ARE TWO SONGS THAT WEREN'T MADE BETWEEN 1990-2000 ON THERE?! U2 should have just saved Electrical Storm for the next album, and Hands That Built America? If it deserves to be on a Best Of put it on the 2000-2010... christ. Maybe if U2 hadn't filled up two tracks with songs that didn't belong there they would have room for The Fly.

In conclusion: U2 should let their fans make their Best Of album next time. Specifically me.

Forgive me for being an arse, but Electrical Storm was put on there to promote the CD, and Hands is there, actually, I don't know what Hands is doing there. :huh:

maybe their record company will put a lot of pressure on them to release and they will have to work quickly to put out albums in a short period of time (a la zooropa) even if they don't think the albums are finished (a la pop). that's my dream anyway. :wink:

so far, I'd say theres:

elevation
walk on
kite
vertigo
sometimes...
city of blinding lights
all because of you
mercy

that's only 8....I know they could put live cuts on there, but it'd be sort of a shame if they didn't have enough material from the whole decade for maybe 14 songs.

they've never been very good at best of's though, have they...songs like Gloria and The Fly not being on any best of, it's just a travesty:rant:

ponkine said:

Ultraviolet neeeds to be on this! :drool:

Barring death or a breakup I'm sure there will be another U2 album before 2010, this and the one or two new/reworked songs they always put on give U2 enough songs for a Best Of.

It wouldn't seem quite fair, though, that the third Best of only had songs off of 2 1/2 albums while the first one had to try to squeeze in the same amount of songs from 6 albums. I always thought U2 should have done a Best of 1980-1983 and a 1984-1989, but I digress...

And the thing with Mercy....sorry guys, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. This is a song that has never been released--on an album, soundtrack, as a B-Side. As far as we know it may never be released. And the band ain't gonna put some random old song on a Best Of just because they like it.

Meghan said:

Forgive me for being an arse, but Electrical Storm was put on there to promote the CD, and Hands is there, actually, I don't know what Hands is doing there. :huh:

:lol: at Hands

you're not being an arse, you're right, but it still upsets me. The song wasn't made between 1990-2000, therefore it shouldn't be on a CD entitled: "Best Of: 1990-2000." If they really needed to promote it they could have released one of those dumb new mixes as a single. Except I would have been upset about that too :wink:

I wonder...what would happen if U2 re-released The Fly? I mean, can you DO that? Be like "umm yeah so this song we wrote it 15 years ago but we want it on the radio again so play it, please thanks" Has anyone ever done that to promote a greatest hits CD or something? I guess that makes no sense. But the thing is most non-U2 fans don't even know the song The Fly, so if they made some new "single" version or something (maybe a live version from Vertigo tour? :drool: ) I bet they'd get a whole bunch of new fans.

I'm crazy. Ignore me.

I'm going to bed now.

Actually, it would be interesting to hear a studio version of either the Elevation or Vertigo Tour revamps of "The Fly"....

COBL_04 said:

:up:

Hypotheticaly -

U2 The Best Of 2000 - 2010
1. Elevation
2. Walk On
3. Vertigo
4. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
5. City Of Blinding Lights
6. All Because Of You
7. Possible 5th single from HTDAAB
8. 1st single from new album
9. 2nd single from new album
10. 3rd single from new album
11. 4th single from new album
12. 5th single from new album
13. Song that was only released 'digitally'
14. Song that was only released 'digitally'
15. Song that was only released 'digitally'
16. Beautiful Day (Live from London at Live8 concert)
17. Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Live from London at Live 8 concert (featuring Sir Paul McCarteney))

B-Sides
1. Always
2. Big Girls Are Best
3. Summer Rain
4. Fast Cars
5. Umm...help! I'm struggling here!

Yes, that doesn't look great, but hey it's got 17 tracks. I'm proud of myself after that.

Thats a good list, but i don't think there should be a best of 2000-2010, i just don't like best of's coz i think most of U2's great stuff wasn't reliased as singles !!!

i love the tracks that aren't singles

you're not being an arse, you're right, but it still upsets me. The song wasn't made between 1990-2000, therefore it shouldn't be on a CD entitled: "Best Of: 1990-2000." If they really needed to promote it they could have released one of those dumb new mixes as a single. Except I would have been upset about that too

Seems quite funny, everybody talks about Electrical storm and Hands that built America as songs that were not released in the 90's and being only there to promote the album, but have you forgot that Sweetest thing is a reworked version from 1998, not from the 80's? Don't tell me that it was initially released in 1987, because the public didn't know that song until 1998.

I don't see the problem about those first 2 songs. They were there to promote the best of and they made the transition from ATYCLB to HTDAAB. Without those singles, the best of wouldn't even bet those miserable 6M coppies sold!

About the Best of 80-90 I think it is quite good (the same for the b-sides CD), the only thing that misses there is "Gloria" and they could have put "40" in the end to simbolize the tours.
The Best of 90-00... Well, I'm not going to comment, of course I like the album, but it really misses there Lemon and The fly - that were massive hits. We as fans, like UTEOTW and Gone (of course I love it!), but those songs are not known by public in general, and public in general were the greatest achievers of Best Of's. It'd be more rasonable to compilate the hits in the best of in spite of songs for the fans. About the b-sides CD: where is Salome, Holy Joe, Satellite of love, Where did it all go wrong, where are those true b-sides? Did we really need allllllllll those remixes? I guess not.

Speaking of a next Best Of, I think they'll have enough material. They've got already 6 songs. The next album is near, it means more 3 or 4 songs, and I believe that in 2009/10 another album will be released (more 3 or 4 songs). Join 2 new/reworked songs and you've got a new Best of to be released in 2012 (The 90-00 was 2002, remember?).

Aygo, a few points to make.......

"The Fly" was not a big hit in the US........"Until The End Of The World" actually was quite popular on radio and I heard it a lot over a decade ago (and even recently on rock stations)

Granted, "Gloria" was a big omission from the first Best Of, but it's because the original master for the song was in bad shape, so the band really could only release it on U2 as an inferior unremastered copy (basically a rip from the "October" CD)....

The sad thing about the second Best Of is that the band left "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" off.......that song was a massive worldwide hit, it's something that a lot of nonfans enjoy, and was the track that really got me into the band......

I think the worst thing about the last Best Of is the inclusion of "Stuck" and "Beautiful Day".......they just seem incredibly out of place and took away slots from bonafide hits that actually came from the 90's....

Back
Top Bottom