Best Of 1990-2000: Vote

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starvinmarvin

Refugee
Here's the deal....I think just about everyone is unhappy about the 1990-2000 "Best Of" compilation. I know there have been many threads where people have submitted their personal tracklists, but this time we'll actually have a vote on the matter. Anything released between 1990 and 2000 is fair game, including albums, Passengers, singles (HMTMKMKM, and TGBHF are both fair game!), b-sides, soundtracks, and live cuts (Hasta La Vista, Baby!). You may select 14 tracks, and one "hidden track" as well.

Please note that Electrical Storm and Hands are not eligible, as they were released in 2002. The Sweetest Thing is also not eligible, due to being part of the 80's Best Of.

Here's my 2 cents:

1. The Fly
2. Mysterious Ways
3. One
4. Until The End of The World
5. Zooropa
6. Stay
7. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill me
8. Miss Sarajevo
9. Gone (Live In Mexico)
10. Staring At The Sun
11. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
12. Beautiful Day
13. Stuck In A Moment
14. Walk On

"Bonus": Your Blue Room

It's really hard to narrow down the list. I would have loved to put in The First Time, Ultraviolet, Discotheque, and Kite, just to name a few, but I had to cut them.

B]Let the voting begin!!!!!!![/B]

If we're going to do this, can we make it between 1990 and 1998? I have nothing against ATYCLB but it makes absolutely NO sense putting tracks from it on a 90s best of. That is one of the BIG complaints a lot of people have about the Best Of 1990-2000, that ATYCLB tracks were included. I say, if we're gonna do this, no ATYCLB tracks.

namkcuR said:
If we're going to do this, can we make it between 1990 and 1998? I have nothing against ATYCLB but it makes absolutely NO sense putting tracks from it on a 90s best of. That is one of the BIG complaints a lot of people have about the Best Of 1990-2000, that ATYCLB tracks were included. I say, if we're gonna do this, no ATYCLB tracks.

I don't know...I personally have no problem with including the ATYCLB tracks on it. The first installment of the Best Of series was 1980-1990, so the decision to make the second one 1990-2000 is reasonable as far as I can see.

I :heart: this thread!

Yeah, fuck Hands and ES, whuddup with that.

1. The Fly
2. Even Better Than The Real Thing
3. One
4. Until the End of the World
5. Zooropa
6. Lemon
7. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
8. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
9. Miss Sarajevo
10. Discotheque
11. Mofo
12. Gone
13. Please
14. The Ground Beneath Her Feet

Bonus Track: Stateless

I think the ATYCLB stuff should have been saved for the next Best Of.

Yeah I agree with namkcuR on this one. Songs from ATYCLB feel so out of place on a 90s list. It's a totally different mood... whole new era. That said, we don't HAVE to make it a rule. Everyone could submit whatever they like within those years. :shrug:

I'll post my list in a bit.

AtomicBono said:
I :heart: this thread!

Yeah, fuck Hands and ES, whuddup with that.

1. The Fly
3. One
4. Until the End of the World
5. Zooropa
6. Lemon
7. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
8. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
9. Miss Sarajevo
10. Discotheque
11. Mofo
12. Gone
13. Please
14. The Ground Beneath Her Feet

Bonus Track: Stateless

I think the ATYCLB stuff should have been saved for the next Best Of.

Excellent song selection there!!! Mine would be pretty much ditto but I'd probably remove Ground Beneath and put in either Mysterious Ways or Staring At The Sun. To me, TGBHF doesn't quite fit in with the 90s.

Same thing with Stateless. I associate it with the ATYCLB era.

Also starvinmarvin, why only 14 tracks?

1. Zooropa
3. Mysterious Ways
4. Stay
5. Discotheque
6. Miss Sarajevo
7. One
8. Numb
9. Lemon
10. Do You Feel Loved
11. Staring at the Sun
12. Until the End of the World
13. Mofo
14. Dirty Day
15. Acrobat
16. Wake Up Dead Man

1. Zooropa
3. Mysterious Ways
4. Stay
5. Discotheque
6. Miss Sarajevo
7. One
8. Numb
9. Lemon
10. Do You Feel Loved
11. Staring at the Sun
13. Mofo
14. Dirty Day
15. Acrobat
16. The Fly

unosdostres14 said:
1. Zooropa
3. Mysterious Ways
4. Stay
5. Discotheque
6. Miss Sarajevo
7. One
8. Numb
9. Lemon
10. Do You Feel Loved
11. Staring at the Sun
13. Mofo
14. Dirty Day
15. Acrobat
16. The Fly

original list there.:wink:

you're right though, I cant believe I left off The Fly. :shocked:

starvinmarvin said:
Here's the deal....I think just about everyone is unhappy about the 1990-2000 "Best Of" compilation. I know there have been many threads where people have submitted their personal tracklists, but this time we'll actually have a vote on the matter. Anything released between 1990 and 2000 is fair game, including albums, Passengers, singles (HMTMKMKM, and TGBHF are both fair game!), b-sides, soundtracks, and live cuts (Hasta La Vista, Baby!). You may select 14 tracks, and one "hidden track" as well.

Please note that Electrical Storm and Hands are not eligible, as they were released in 2002. The Sweetest Thing is also not eligible, due to being part of the 80's Best Of.

Here's my 2 cents:

1. The Fly
2. Mysterious Ways
3. One
4. Until The End of The World
5. Zooropa
6. Stay
7. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill me
8. Miss Sarajevo
9. Gone (Live In Mexico)
10. Staring At The Sun
11. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
12. Beautiful Day
13. Stuck In A Moment
14. Walk On

"Bonus": Your Blue Room

It's really hard to narrow down the list. I would have loved to put in The First Time, Ultraviolet, Discotheque, and Kite, just to name a few, but I had to cut them.

B]Let the voting begin!!!!!!!
[/B]

1. The Fly
3. Gone (New Mix)
4. Dirty Day (Bitter Kiss)
5. Ms. Sarajevo
6. One
7. Until The End Of The WOrld
8. Last Night On Earth (Single Version)
9. Please (Single Version)
10. Discotheque (New Mix)
11. Lemon (Single Edit)
12. Stay
13. HMTMKMKM
14. Wild Horses (Temple Bar Remix)
15. Mysterious Ways
16. Staring At The Sun (Live From Rotterdam)

Bonus Track - She's gonna Blow Your House Down (Rerecorded Single Version!)

Discotheque (Live from Mexico City)
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Gone
the FLY
until the END of the WORLD
Please (Single)
Last Night on Earth (Single)
Lemon (Single Edit)
MYSTERIOUS WAYS
Staring at the Sun
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (Temple Bar Mix)
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
ONE
Miss Sarajevo (Radio Edit)

Bonus Track: Mofo (Phunk Phorce Edit)

Why 14 tracks? I made my own 17 tracker that is just under 80 minutes (CD length). Flows great. ATYCLB tracks should not be on this decade.

1. The Fly
2. Even Better Than the Real Thing
3. Stay
4. Staring at the Sun
5. One
6. Discotheque
7. Mysterious Ways
8. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (Temple Bar)
9. Gone (Mike Hedges mix)
10. The Sweetest Thing
11. Numb
12. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
13. Lemon (single - edited version to fit)
14. Miss Sarajevo
15. Until the End of the World
16. Night & Day
17. Please (single - strings version)

Why no ATYCLB tracks? If you guys haven't noticed, the Best Of is 1990-2000 and ATYCLB was released in 2000, not 2001!

Axver said:
Why no ATYCLB tracks? If you guys haven't noticed, the Best Of is 1990-2000 and ATYCLB was released in 2000, not 2001!

I am perfectly aware of the years. Then make it 1990 to 1998. ATYCLB does not fit. It will go perfectly on the NEXT best of with HTDAAB and whatever else they do this decade.

bsp77 said:

ATYCLB does not fit. It will go perfectly on the NEXT best of with HTDAAB and whatever else they do this decade.

Fuck yes!!! Amen to that!

Stop trying to include ATYCLB in a 90s best of, please! :mad:

I can't make one of these for the 90s. I've tried many times but....I just feel like these songs from the 90s should be heard in the context of their own albums. And I always end up with this feeling in the pit of my stomach because I've always left out songs or something.

Axver said:

You, of all people, should understand it better than anyone. You are near notorius for your love of good flow throughout tracks, no? You should see how the ATYCLB tracks are part of a different era and would never flow well with the more experimental 90s tracks.

1. One
2. UTEOTW
3. Mysterious Ways
4. Stay
5. Last Night On Earth
6. Please
7. Acrobat :drool:
8. The Fly
9. Staring At The Sun
10. Gone
11. Numb
12. WGRYWH
13. HMTMKMKM
14. Dirty Day

bonus track acrobat live:wink:

1-Zoo Station
2-The Fly
3-Gone
4-Until the End of the World
5-One
6-Your Blue Room
7-Zooropa
8-Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
9-Stay
10-Lemon
11-Discotheque
12-Mofo
13-Acrobat
14-Please

hidden track:Slug

Well, it looks like everyone is selecting 16 tracks (excellent!!), but is ommitting ATYCLB tracks. I guess majority rules, so let's run with it...........however, I completely disagree with the concept of leaving ATYCLB off of the compilation. Without it, there are only 4 albums to choose songs from, and one of those is technically not even a U2 album, which leaves us a paltry 3. A 1991-98 compilation is just too weak, IMO - why not spare us the trouble and reissue Acthung Baby and call it Best Of The 90's........ALTYCLB was released in 2000, and since the compilation is called Best Of 1990-2000, it should qualify. Much of it was recorded in the late 90's, and to my ears doesn't sound remarkably different from the 90's catalog anyways. If some of you think that year 2000 songs shouldn't be in the compilation, then I guess the same should apply to the 1980-90 Best Of, in which case I guess I Will Follow should have been cut from the album on the grounds that it is a "70's" song. It just doesn't make any sense. My conspiracy theory is that some Pop-worshippers know that including ATYCLB means less Pop songs on the album.

namkcuR said:

You, of all people, should understand it better than anyone. You are near notorius for your love of good flow throughout tracks, no? You should see how the ATYCLB tracks are part of a different era and would never flow well with the more experimental 90s tracks.

Well, yes, I agree - and my logic is that ATYCLB tracks should be held for the next Best Of, 2000-2010, but I really don't understand this fervent disdain for putting ATYCLB tracks on the other or changing the time period.

I would personally put some MDH songs on a 1990-2000 Best Of, depending on what songs I choose. TGBHF, Stateless would probably fit really well with some nineties tracks.

starvinmarvin said:
Well, it looks like everyone is selecting 16 tracks (excellent!!), but is ommitting ATYCLB tracks. I guess majority rules, so let's run with it...........however, I completely disagree with the concept of leaving ATYCLB off of the compilation. Without it, there are only 4 albums to choose songs from, and one of those is technically not even a U2 album, which leaves us a paltry 3. A 1991-98 compilation is just too weak, IMO - why not spare us the trouble and reissue Acthung Baby and call it Best Of The 90's........ALTYCLB was released in 2000, and since the compilation is called Best Of 1990-2000, it should qualify. Much of it was recorded in the late 90's, and to my ears doesn't sound remarkably different from the 90's catalog anyways. If some of you think that year 2000 songs shouldn't be in the compilation, then I guess the same should apply to the 1980-90 Best Of, in which case I guess I Will Follow should have been cut from the album on the grounds that it is a "70's" song. It just doesn't make any sense. My conspiracy theory is that some Pop-worshippers know that including ATYCLB means less Pop songs on the album.

Look at it this way:

The Best Of 1980-1990 is supposed to be a compilation of their 80s music, and therefore having songs from 1980 is ok.

The Best Of 1990-2000 is supposed to be compilation of their 90s music, and there is no 90 in 2000.

namkcuR said:

Look at it this way:

The Best Of 1980-1990 is supposed to be a compilation of their 80s music, and therefore having songs from 1980 is ok.

The Best Of 1990-2000 is supposed to be compilation of their 90s music, and there is no 90 in 2000.

The way I look at it, the Best Of 1980-1990 is supposed to be a compilation of the music they made during and between 1980 and 1990 (it just so happens that nothing made in 1990 - Night And Day was 1990, wasn't it? - made that compilation), and the Best Of 1990-2000 is for songs made during or between 1990 and 2000.

As I said before, keep MDH stuff for 1990-2000 and ATYCLB stuff for 2000-2010.

Axver said:

The way I look at it, the Best Of 1980-1990 is supposed to be a compilation of the music they made during and between 1980 and 1990 (it just so happens that nothing made in 1990 - Night And Day was 1990, wasn't it? - made that compilation), and the Best Of 1990-2000 is for songs made during or between 1990 and 2000.

As I said before, keep MDH stuff for 1990-2000 and ATYCLB stuff for 2000-2010.

:yes:

What we don't know is the verbal phrasing of the hyphen in 1980-1990 or 1990-2000. The hyphen could mean 'to' or the hyphen could mean 'through'. 1990 to 2000 is much different than 1990 through 2000.

namkcuR said:

Look at it this way:

I'm not sure if "supposed" is the right word. Obviously U2 feels that the title 1990-2000 encompasses the year 2000 (why wouldn't it, really?), as they put ATYCLB songs on the compilation. To me, the purpose of this thread was not to second-guess that decision, but rather to create a better collection of songs than the official release actually had. I mean, if you are going to include ATYCLB songs, why not 'Walk On?' that's all I was trying to do here.

starvinmarvin said:

I'm not sure if "supposed" is the right word. Obviously U2 feels that the title 1990-2000 encompasses the year 2000 (why wouldn't it, really?), as they put ATYCLB songs on the compilation. To me, the purpose of this thread was not to second-guess that decision, but rather to create a better collection of songs than the official release actually had. I mean, if you are going to include ATYCLB songs, why not 'Walk On?' that's all I was trying to do here.

I guess. I've always been of the cynical view that U2 were motivated to do so because they simply wanted to use Beautiful Day and Stuck to sell more records. But whatever. I see ATYCLB being from a new era(the same as HTDAAB), and not part of the AB/Zooropa/Passengers/Pop era.

namkcuR said:

I guess. I've always been of the cynical view that U2 were motivated to do so because they simply wanted to use Beautiful Day and Stuck to sell more records. But whatever. I see ATYCLB being from a new era(the same as HTDAAB), and not part of the AB/Zooropa/Passengers/Pop era.

Exactly! The band probably put ATYCLB songs on the best-of so the new fans would buy it as well. I'm talking about the new fans who got into U2 in 2000.

namkcuR said:

Maybe your cynical view is correct (and if anyone' cynical, it's usually me:wink: ), but I've always seen it differently. Including 2 new songs is cynical, but not ATYCLB. I'm not sure that including BD and Stuck would really sell more records. ATYCLB was released just 2 years later, and after selling 11 million albums I'm pretty sure that BD had already squeezed maximum sales from the public. I think that U2 knew that a ALTYCLB-less Best Of album would be a bit weak. I mean, there just isn't very much material there, and releasing a "Best Of" with 5 or 6 Achtung songs just wasn't going to cut it. U2 has always carefully guarded its legacy, and I'm sure that they just wanted to release the best possible showcase of their last 10 years. Plus 2000 is within the 1990-2000 target date range.

I agree with you in that a Achtung-Pop Best Of would be more thematically sound, but the 1980-90 collection is also a bit helter skelter. I mean, I Will Follow just doesn't sound much like With or Without You, and Pride doesn't much resemble Angel of Harlem. Such is the nature of compilations, and that is why it important to buy all of u2's regular albums BEFORE you by the Best Ofs.

Back
Top Bottom