Best Of 1990-2000: Vote

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zootlesque said:

Exactly! The band probably put ATYCLB songs on the best-of so the new fans would buy it as well. I'm talking about the new fans who got into U2 in 2000.

I think so too, especially since they've said Elevation and Walk On would be on the next Best Of, or something to that effect. So the ATYCLB tracks are split based on what year the singles came out, I guess. I think that's dumb, spreading an album out over two Best Of's.

I actually think putting ATYCLB songs on the Best Of was a mistake, as I feel if I were a new fan, it might've put me off: "I already have those two songs, why do I want another copy?"

Axver said:
I actually think putting ATYCLB songs on the Best Of was a mistake, as I feel if I were a new fan, it might've put me off: "I already have those two songs, why do I want another copy?"

I think that's the reason why you can't see putting ALYCLB through a cynical lense. I think those songs were on there only because 2000 falls within the 1990 to 2000 date range. That's the only reason.

If putting ATYCLB songs on the Best Of was a cynical ploy, then why didn't they put Walk On or Kite or In A Little While instaed of, let's say, The First Time or Miss Sarajevo?

starvinmarvin said:

I think that's the reason why you can't see putting ALYCLB through a cynical lense. I think those songs were on there only because 2000 falls within the 1990 to 2000 date range. That's the only reason.

If putting ATYCLB songs on the Best Of was a cynical ploy, then why didn't they put Walk On or Kite or In A Little While instaed of, let's say, The First Time or Miss Sarajevo?

Because the idea is to sell records by putting recent tracks that PEOPLE HAVE HEARD on it. People hear them through the radio, most likely. Kite, IALW weren't on radio at all, WO didn't get nearly as much radio time as BD or Stuck.

namkcuR said:

Because the idea is to sell records by putting recent tracks that PEOPLE HAVE HEARD on it. People hear them through the radio, most likely. Kite, IALW weren't on radio at all, WO didn't get nearly as much radio time as BD or Stuck.

Maybe that's true where you live, but where I live Kite WAS released as a single, and got played to death. The video (which was from the Boston DVD) was played constatly for months on the music video channels. Same for Walk On. I see your point about IALW though

starvinmarvin said:
Well, it looks like everyone is selecting 16 tracks (excellent!!), but is ommitting ATYCLB tracks. I guess majority rules, so let's run with it...........however, I completely disagree with the concept of leaving ATYCLB off of the compilation. Without it, there are only 4 albums to choose songs from, and one of those is technically not even a U2 album, which leaves us a paltry 3. A 1991-98 compilation is just too weak, IMO - why not spare us the trouble and reissue Acthung Baby and call it Best Of The 90's........ALTYCLB was released in 2000, and since the compilation is called Best Of 1990-2000, it should qualify. Much of it was recorded in the late 90's, and to my ears doesn't sound remarkably different from the 90's catalog anyways. If some of you think that year 2000 songs shouldn't be in the compilation, then I guess the same should apply to the 1980-90 Best Of, in which case I guess I Will Follow should have been cut from the album on the grounds that it is a "70's" song. It just doesn't make any sense. My conspiracy theory is that some Pop-worshippers know that including ATYCLB means less Pop songs on the album.

It all comes down to what sounds right, stop thinking so much. Beautiful Day is an incredible song but does not sound right with anything from the nineties. And forget about the actual years that U2 randomly assigned to their titles, both have 1990 in the title and neither includes a song from 1990! Bottom line, U2 should not have included anything from ATYCLB and we should not go along with what they did just because they did it. Just think of the albums as they should be: the Best of the 80's and the Best of the 90's.

Also, how is I Will Follow a 70's song? It was released in the fall of 1980.

bsp77 said:

Also, how is I Will Follow a 70's song? It was released in the fall of 1980.

Because following the logic of some Interferencers - who say 2000 does not fall within 1990-2000 - I Will Follow can't be included in the 1980-1990 com[pilation.

To tell you the truth, I'm very surprised that the inclusion of ATYCLB is an issue at all. When I heard 1990-2000 was being released, I jus assumed that ATYCLB tracks would be included. When I say the final tracklist, I was surprised that so few made the list, plus I was shocked that both HTBA and ES were included, seeing that they are 2002 songs.

U2 probably made a decision based upon percieved 'lack of material' and the fact that BD and Stuck had been issued as singles in the year 2000.

I think the Best of 90-00 they issued was a fucking sham. Arguably the dumbest thing U2 have ever done considering the scale of that album, covering a decade and all. Besides the oversight of Lemon (one of their top 5 90's songs IMO), among a few others, the reworking of certain tracks, the inclusion of a sub-standard soundtrack song and the addition of two songs that simply did not fit. Don't even get me started on that fucking B-sides disc.
It was just really poorly done, IMO.

On the flipside, I thought they nailed the 80's version, besides excluding Gloria (minor disagreement).

That disc I would recommend to anyone who didn't own any U2 from the 80's. I don't even like all the songs, Angel of Harlem, When Love Comes to Town, but still they belonged on there, they got it right.

The band were probably so disenfranchised with their 90's work they couldn't be fair to their own material. I think they did a disservice to that period with that shitty release.

they could have gone with singles only from AB/Zoo/POP, tossed in HMTMKMKM and the two new tracks and still filled it up with 15 tracks.

They put BD and Stuck because they didnt want to put Wild Horses, Lemon, Mofo and Please on the disc. Lack of material (in their eyes).

How The Fly is not on the American versions is simply retarded. Edge says "it doesn't hold up like we thought it would" and yet they play it EVERY night on Vertigo.
Deductive translation: They had to make room for the marketable songs. Business decision, probably by management as a guess.

starvinmarvin said:
Maybe that's true where you live, but where I live Kite WAS released as a single, and got played to death.
Come again? As far as I know (and also according to U2Wanderer.org) there is no such thing as a Kite single.

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:
Why are ye guys only putting on 14 tracks? There were 17 tracks in the real Best Of (including The Fly, which was on the Irish/UK edition)

Good point. Perhaps he's challenging us to be more 'brutal' with our selections! :ohmy:

1. The Fly
2. Until The End Of the World
3. Do You Feel Loved
4. One
5. Staring At The Sun
6. Mysterious Ways
7. Numb
8. Discotheque
9. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
10. Gone
11. Lemon
12. Ms. Sarajevo
13. Please
14. Dirty Day
15. Acrobat
16. Stay
17. If God Will Send His Angels

2nd disc (b-sides – remixes)

1. Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (Temple Bar Mix)
2. Ultraviolet (Light My Way) (New Flood Remix)
3. Satelite Of Love
4. Lady With The Spinning Head (extended mix)
5. Slug
6. I’m Not Your Baby (w/ Sinead O’Connor)
7. Salome
8. Holy Joe (guilty mix)
9. Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad
10. North & South Of The River
11. Your Blue Room
12. Fortunate Son
13. Wake-Up Dead Man (Gothic Remix)

Of course, the problem with this is that they then can’t sell the accompanying DVD with videos. They’d have to go a make new videos for old songs and I’m sure that would never happen.

Rafiennes said:

:|

I remember hearing an early clip of Wake Up Dead Man on U2.com in 1996 that was Gothic. I had hoped you had the whole song.

greenlight7-11 said:

Come again? As far as I know (and also according to U2Wanderer.org) there is no such thing as a Kite single.

Kite was a single in Canada. I don't know about anywhere else, but it was the most-played ATYCLB song on the radio apart from BD. It seemed even more popular than Stuck....

01. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
02. Even Better Than The Real Thing
03. Mysterious Ways
04. Kite
05. One
06. Last Night On Earth
07. Until The End Of The World
08. Numb
09. Stay
10. Stuck In A Moment
11. Discotheque
12. Please
13. Beautiful Day
14. Electrical Storm
15. The Fly
16. Elevation
17. Gone
18. Walk On

starvinmarvin said:

Kite was a single in Canada. I don't know about anywhere else, but it was the most-played ATYCLB song on the radio apart from BD. It seemed even more popular than Stuck....
A commercial single that you could buy in the store? If so, I wonder why no one who's cataloging U2 singles seems to know about it. Or was it just a radio single? I apologize for grilling you on this, I just find it so odd that this single isn't mentioned anywhere. The only ATYCLB singles I can find for Canada are Walk On and Stuck.

Last edited:
1.zoo station
2.even better than the real thing
3.one
4.until the end of the world
5.the fly
6.mysterious ways
7.ultraviolet
8.acrobat
9.love is blindness
10.zooropa
11.numb
12.lemon
13.dirty day
14.miss sarajevo
15.discotheque
16.mofo

U2DMfan said:
I don't think Kite was a single in Canada, marvin.

maybe it was just a radio single. But it got tonnes of airplay, and was promoted with a video, so it counts as a single in my books

You know, now that you mention this, I do remember people saying they were playing the Kite video, I guess it was in Canada

the clip was live from Boston, right?

Muchmusic, I am guessing can play whatever they want, regardless of promotion by the record labels.

They play stuff on VH1 in America from Springsteen's Storytellers, doesn't really mean it's a single. I suppose they can play whatever they want, it might very well have been a radio single.

VertigoGal said:
1. Zooropa
2. Even Better Than The Real Thing
3. Mysterious Ways
4. Stay
5. Discotheque
6. Miss Sarajevo
7. One
8. Numb
9. Lemon
10. Do You Feel Loved
11. Staring at the Sun