BEST Non-Single Survivor: Boy - Round One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the song you consider to be the WORST.

• Twilight

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • An Cat Dubh

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Into The Heart

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Stories For Boys

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • The Ocean

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • Another Time, Another Place

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • The Electric Co.

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Shadows And Tall Trees

Votes: 11 23.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
After a good deal of to-ing and fro-ing, we've finally worked out a new Survivor competition! In this tournament, we will be voting to see what song Interference considers to be the best non-single. In other words, the song has to have been on an album but never released as a single. We have included 'quasi-singles' in this definition, ruling out any song which has had a music video made and released. This means the big songs that normally dominate Survivor are gone.

How to play: Each album will have a series of rounds of voting. In an album's first round, all non-singles from the album will be listed and you vote for the song you think is the WORST. The song with the most votes is eliminated. This continues through the subsequent rounds until we are left with just one song from each album. These victorious songs proceed to the final, which will be conducted in the same manner until just one song is left, which you can consider to be the Best Non-Single or Least Objectionable Non-Single, depending upon your perspective.

As a matter of interest, as this is the first round, here is the list of songs that will be competing.

BOY
Twilight
An Cat Dubh
Into The Heart
Stories For Boys
The Ocean
Another Time, Another Place
The Electric Co.
Shadows And Tall Trees

OCTOBER
I Fall Down
I Threw A Brick
Rejoice
Tomorrow
October
With A Shout
Stranger In A Strange Land
Scarlet
Is That All?

WAR
Seconds
Like A Song ...
Drowning Man
The Refugee
Red Light
Surrender

THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE
Wire
Promenade
4th Of July
Indian Summer Sky
Elvis Presley And America
MLK

THE JOSHUA TREE
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
Red Hill Mining Town
Trip Through Your Wires
Exit
Mothers Of The Disappeared

RATTLE AND HUM
Van Diemen's Land
Hawkmoon 269
Love Rescue Me
Heartland

ACHTUNG BABY
Zoo Station
So Cruel
Tryin' To Throw Your Arms
Ultra Violet
Acrobat

ZOOROPA
Zooropa
Babyface
Daddy's Gonna Pay
Some Days Are Better Than Others
The First Time
Dirty Day
The Wanderer

POP
Do You Feel Loved
Miami
The Playboy Mansion
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Wake Up Dead Man

ATYCLB
Kite
In A Little While
Wild Honey
Peace On Earth
When I Look At The World
New York
Grace

HTDAAB
Miracle Drug
Love And Peace Or Else
A Man And A Woman
Crumbs From Your Table
One Step Closer
Yahweh

Have fun everyone!

The Ocean for this round. I feel it's the most uninteresting track on Boy.

Good on ya for finally starting it. I think I am going to vote for The Ocean, narrowly beating Into the Heart. I've always said if it was longer it would be so much better.

I voted The Ocean, too. There's little doubt in my mind the Electric Co is going to win this.

Although I do wish it was my dear An Cat Dubh :sad:

inmyplace13 said:
I voted The Ocean, too. There's little doubt in my mind the Electric Co is going to win this.

Although I do wish it was my dear An Cat Dubh :sad:

I wish The Electric Co. and Twilight could tie. :drool:

I wish An Cat Dubh would come back live. :sad:

I'm also glad to see The Ocean hasn't been played for a couple of weeks live. It's most likely to go flying out of the competition this round.

Yeah it's good that they dropped The Ocean. I only went to one show, and as soon as that bassline started up I knew there was no black cat for me.

I wasn't really expecting it anyway, since it hasn't been played since, what, June? You're the setlist guru. June is about right though I think.

inmyplace13 said:
Yeah it's good that they dropped The Ocean. I only went to one show, and as soon as that bassline started up I knew there was no black cat for me.

I wasn't really expecting it anyway, since it hasn't been played since, what, June? You're the setlist guru. June is about right though I think.

An Cat Dubh was done just once on the European leg, 27 June in Dublin. The performance before that was 28 May in Boston. It seems to have well and truly vanished off the band's radar, which I think is tragic. I enjoyed it so much in Boston - definitely glad I got that rather than ISHFWILF.

It's a shame. Really one of my favorite parts of the DVD. That and the Zoocore that, sadly, this Achtung superfan didn't get to have any part of.

I mean I had one of the best nights of my life, don't get me wrong, but it's unfortunate when I have two favorite albums, and from them comes only one song. And the song was One :|

playing The Ocean live this tour didn't make sense to me... :shrug: Much better songs to use, or even snippet if they were looking for something short...

inmyplace13 said:
It's a shame. Really one of my favorite parts of the DVD. That and the Zoocore that, sadly, this Achtung superfan didn't get to have any part of.

I mean I had one of the best nights of my life, don't get me wrong, but it's unfortunate when I have two favorite albums, and from them comes only one song. And the song was One :|

What's your other favourite album? As glad as I am that every single album has been represented on this tour, the representation of some has been sloppy and haphazard at best. Two performances of Discotheque hardly counts as Pop representation at all.

I like the new UTEOTW/Fly combo that U2 have used for a Zoocore at Miami II and Atlanta I. That's a quality rocking duo.

Axver said:

What's your other favourite album? As glad as I am that every single album has been represented on this tour, the representation of some has been sloppy and haphazard at best. Two performances of Discotheque hardly counts as Pop representation at all.

I like the new UTEOTW/Fly combo that U2 have used for a Zoocore at Miami II and Atlanta I. That's a quality rocking duo.

The other favorite is the criminally neglected Pop. All you have to do is listen to the new arrangement of Discotheque to know that the album should NOT be ignored.

inmyplace13 said:

The other favorite is the criminally neglected Pop. All you have to do is listen to the new arrangement of Discotheque to know that the album should NOT be ignored.

I still cannot believe they went to all that effort to re-invent Discotheque and create that awesome lighting, only to drop it after two performances. The Chicago performance is AMAZING. Why are songs like Stuck In A Moment, ISHFWILF, and Bullet in the set when they could be playing this monster?

Oops, I accidently voted from my favourite, ie Electric Co, rather than the song I like the least ie Ocean.

Excuse me while I stop making sense. I'm a tad excited about the Australian tour.

Irishteen said:
There are no bad songs on boy, but the ocean stands out as being the most uninteresting

Exactly. But I love the Ocean. Oh well, it's gotta go.

Axver, great that you started this but can I make a suggestion to include this in the first post of every round...

PLEASE VOTE FOR YOUR LEAST FAVORITE SONG!!!

something like that.

We could use a sticky here ...

Irishteen said:
There are no bad songs on boy, but the ocean stands out as being the most uninteresting

Agreed.

Zootlesque said:

:eyebrow:

The Ocean is the least interesting here but is still gorgeous! Definitely not yuck-worthy!

"A picture in grey, Dorian Gray, just me by the sea"

"And I felt like a star, I felt the world could go far, if they listened to what I said, the sea"

"Washes my feet, washes my feet, splashes the sole of my shoes"

:tsk:

I voted for The Ocean even though I started appreciating it more during this tour. The best non-single song on the Boy album for me is defenitly The Electric Co.

I like the Ocean. A Lot. Shadows and Tall Trees is SNOREVILLE CITY.

To the Nth Degree!!!

Mrs. Brown's washing is always the same???

i don't care about Mrs. Brown's washing.

I'm messing around a bit of course, as Boy is one of my favorite albums of all time, but I find this song to be much less interesting than The Ocean. The middle eight guitar breakdown in SATT is sublime, however.

as for the underrepresentation of POP... i agree forever and ever. What the hell?

That Discotheque was the song of the tour, folks, and you all know I am a herald of the Electric Co and Wild Horses.

The fact that they dropped it after 2 performances shows that they have still not gotten over their distaste for that material. Which bugs me to no end. Because I too feel that Achtung and Pop are their two best records (or at least my 2 favorites)...

When I go to a concert I expect to hear recent music represented. One of the greatest things about going to see a band live is to see how they mix their current music with that of their previous effort. Also interesting is how they reinvent the older stuff.

Example: Vertigo/Elevation really works for me. And the new incarnation of Stuck In A moment is a thousand times better than that of the Elevation Tour.

But I expected more, especially since this is the first tour to follow their second greatest hits album. (Which sort of explains the appearance of The First Time)

Given that Pop is the most recent album besides ATYCLB, and that HTDAAB songs like Love And Peace and Vertigo rock harder than anything on ATYCLB, I was really excited to hear them mix it up with the rockers from POP.

Discotheque
Gone
Staring At The Sun ... all on the best of

Last Night On Earth... shares lyrical themes with COBL...

but they only play D? and only 2 times? WTF.

ISHFWILF needs to go.

GARR!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom