Best Non-Album Track Survivor - 1990-1999 Preliminary Quarterfinal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote for your LEAST FAVORITE track!

• Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk/Korova I

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lady With The Spinning Head

• Salome

• Where Did It All Go Wrong

• Oh Berlin

• Heaven And Hell

• Down All The Days

• Slow Dancing

• Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me

• Holy Joe

• North And South Of The River

• I'm Not Your Baby

• Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
The results of the 1984-89 Preliminary Quarterfinal:

Advancing:

Love Comes Tumbling - 22
Luminous Times - 21
Spanish Eyes - 19
The Three Sunrises - 19
Bass Trap - 19
Walk To The Water - 19
Sweetest Thing - 18
Deep In The Heart - 17
Silver And Gold - 17
She's A Mystery To Me - 16
Boomerang I - 15
Boomerang II - 15
A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel - 14
Disappearing Act - 13
Hallelujah(Here She Comes) - 11

Joining:

11 O'Clock Tick Tock - 15
Pete The Chop - 13
A Celebration - 13
Party Girl - 13
Endless Deep - 12
Treasure - 12
Street Mission - 11
Touch - 10
Lost On A Silent Planet - 9
Boy-Girl - 9
The Fool - 9
Another Day - 9
Things To Make And Do - 8
Cartoon World - 8
The Dream Is Over - 7 / 10(tiebreaker)

Eliminated:

Wild Irish Rose - 10
Sixty Seconds - 9
Yoshino Blossom - 9
Wave Of Sorrow - 8
Race Against Time - 6
Desert Of Our Love - 5
Womanfish - 5
Rise Up - 4
Drunk Chicken - 2
Beautiful Ghost - 1

Angels Too Tied To The Ground - 7 / 4(tiebreaker)

Saturday Night - 5
J.Swallo - 5
Be There - 5
False Prophet - 4
Speed Of Life - 3
Alone In The Light - 2
Father Is An Elephant - 2
Inside Out - 1
Carry Me Home - 1
Jack In The Box - 0

Great participation and an exciting finish for the 1984-1989 quarterfinal, with Hallelujah(Here She Comes) receiving a vote at the eleventh hour to advance. A bit bummed that it had to come at Wild Irish Rose's expense, as that is a gorgeous song that deserved to stick around a little longer, but I love Hallelujah too. Tough choice. Really hope that last vote for Hallelujah wasn't a drive-by. Because Hallelujah has advanced, there will be no need for a tiebreaker for the 1984-1989 Quarterfinal.

Additionally, The Dream Is Over defeated Angels Too Tied To The Ground in the 1979-1983 Quarterfinal Tiebreaker, so it will be advancing while Angels has reached the end of its road.

Now we come to the 1990-1999 Quarterfinal, and we're going to do this one a little differently. While 1979-1983, 1984-1989, and 2000-Present all have 25+ tracks, 1990-1999 only has 16, which means all but one song will be advancing, so rather than picking 15 out of 16, I figured it would make more sense and be easier to simply vote for the one track to eliminate.

Instructions: In this poll, 16 non-album tracks from 1990-1999 will be available to vote for, with voting for ONE ITEM ONLY enabled. You will vote for your LEAST FAVORITE track.

Since we're only voting for one track, I'm going to make this A ONE-DAY, 24-HOUR POLL, as I'm confident we'll know sooner rather than later which track the forum wants gone, and there's no sense in wasting a day.

Here is a list of tracks in this poll, all linked to YT for your reference, except for a few that aren't on YT. I found Down All The Days on Dailymotion. You can't even upload those AB re-issue tracks to YT(I tried) because they immediately get muted(i.e. audio track removed). Nearly every single other track in the band's catalog is ok to be on YT but the small handful that can only be acquired on the super-duper-costs-a-small-fortune-deluxe version of the AB re-issue aren't allowed. Go figure. I went ahead and linked Heaven And Hell to a Salome Outtake version, just because. Also, Viva Davidoff isn't there, I guess it's just too obscure or something.

1990-1999
Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk/Korova 1
Lady With The Spinning Head / UV1
Salome / Zooromancer mix
Where Did It All Go Wrong
Blow Your House Down
Oh Berlin
Heaven And Hell (This is the Salome outtakes version, not the official version)
Near The Island
Down All The Days
Slow Dancing / Willie Nelson duet
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
Viva Davidoff
Holy Joe(Garage Mix) / Guilty Mix
North And South Of The River
I'm Not Your Baby(w/Sinead) / Skysplitter Dub
Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad

Happy voting!

I vote for Viva Davidoff. I suspect most of you will as well. I could be wrong. But it seems most likely.

You all fucking suck for eliminating Wild Irish Rose, literally one of the ten best songs U2 have recorded.

Well, except those of you who voted for it. You're great.

Are you guys gonna vote? Three posts and no votes.

I needed to refresh my memory on a couple of tracks.

This is a tough one because there's a whole bunch of songs that I don't think deserve to advance, but which is the worst? I've never cared for Heaven and Hell or Blow Your House Down, Viva Davidoff obviously isn't much chop, and Near the Island sounds pleasant enough but goes nowhere and is entirely unengaging. Two Shots is superior to those four but has also never much interested me.

I guess it'll be Near the Island.

Two Shots is superior to those four but has also never much interested me.

I think it's one of the greatest songs Bono and Edge ever wrote. The soulfulness, the weariness, it's just great. It probably won't advance past the semifinal, but for me, it might make my top 20.

I think it's one of the greatest songs Bono and Edge ever wrote. The soulfulness, the weariness, it's just great. It probably won't advance past the semifinal, but for me, it might make my top 20.

Same. Two Shots is in the running for my favorite non-album song.

Also, how is it possible I am the only person who voted for Beautiful Ghost???? I know it isn't a U2 lyric, and it's slow and atmospheric, but it's a beautiful piece of music and a great vocal. Grrrr.
And I'll add my disappointment to seeing Wild Irish Rose go. Perhaps at the end of this (awesome) survivor we could have a plate round for those who missed the cut. Bet it would still be a hell of a collection of songs.

Also, how is it possible I am the only person who voted for Beautiful Ghost???? I know it isn't a U2 lyric, and it's slow and atmospheric, but it's a beautiful piece of music and a great vocal. Grrrr.

Yeah, that surprised me. I very nearly threw a vote its way.

I remember back when that song first came out on the iTunes rarities collection, somebody here made a great file seguing it seamlessly into Streets.

Beautiful Ghost is pretty, but there are just too many other great tracks from that era.

New poll coming soon.

Back
Top Bottom