Best Non-Album Track Survivor - 1979-1983 Preliminary Quarterfinal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote for your TOP 15 FAVORITE tracks!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Welcome to the first poll of the competition!

Instructions: In this poll, 26 non-album tracks from 1979-1983 will be available to vote for, with voting for multiple items enabled.

You will vote for your TOP 15 FAVORITE tracks.

Note: I realize this will be the most difficult of the preliminary rounds for some of you just in terms of finding 15 tracks to vote for, but give some of the demos a listen! I've linked it all up below so all you have to do is click.

It is essential to the integrity of the competition that you vote for EXACTLY 15 tracks, not any more or any less. There is no way to lock you into a certain number of votes, so it is up to you to monitor yourselves.

Because 15 tracks is a lot to decide on, this poll will be open for 48 hours to give everyone a chance to vote.

Here is a list of tracks in this poll, all linked to YT for your reference.

1979-1983
The Dream Is Over
Lost On A Silent Planet
Alone In The Light
Jack In The Box
False Prophet
Inside Out
Pete The Chop
Father Is An Elephant
Boy-Girl
11 O'Clock Tick Tock
Touch
Another Day
Things To Make And Do
Speed Of Life
Saturday Night
Cartoon World
Street Mission
The Fool
Carry Me Home
J.Swallo
A Celebration
Party Girl
Endless Deep
Treasure(Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop)
Be There
Angels Too Tied To The Ground

Good luck, let's get this thing going!

I'm a huge fan of this era of U2, but I was surprised I had a bit of trouble getting to 15 in the end.

These songs chose themselves, and are absolute gems:
1. The Dream Is Over
2. Lost on a Silent Planet
3. False Prophet
4. 11 O'clock Tick Tock
5. Saturday Night
6. The Fool
7. Treasure

And then these were easy additions:
8. Touch
9. Another Day
10. Cartoon World
11. Street Mission

But what next?
12. Father Is an Elephant, I've always enjoyed that one so let's give it a vote.
13. Pete the Chop, gave birth to a classic.
14. Things to Make and Do; let's give one of the Boy-era instrumentals a nod, and TTMAD is a shit-tonne better than Speed of Life, which live had some rather bad lyrics.
15. And Adam deserves a nod, so Endless Deep gets a guernsey ahead of Boy/Girl.

Look, Party Girl ranks in those fifteen but it almost certainly doesn't need my help and I don't really care if it does. It's fun and I like it, but for whatever reason it's just eliciting a shrug from me right now. Plus that studio version really is bad. Did Bono have the flu!

Good god I hope Angels Too Tied to the Ground does not progress.

The Dream is Over
Lost on a Silent Planet
False Prophet
Pete the Chop
Boy-Girl
11 O'Clock Tick Tock
Touch
Another Day
Saturday Night
Cartoon World
The Fool
A Celebration
Party Girl
Endless Deep
Treasure

So I'm an idiot who miscounted and selected 16. A Celebration was meant to be listed in the category of gems that select themselves, and since I failed to type it there it threw off my count. :doh:

Feel free to disregard my vote for Endless Deep if it ends up mattering.

There's no way to vote from the app, right?

Yeah, it's too bad. I'm not going to participate in this poll very much simply for that reason. It would be nice to get the polls added to the app.

Also, this feels like a less than ideal way to start this Survivor. Vote for FIFTEEN of these tracks? Hahaha.

Wow, I've never even heard of most of these. Trying to give them a listen before making an educated decision!

There's a few there I'd not heard before. Nice work namkcuR!
I never was a fan of the music-only tracks, so scratched them. Also scratched Saturday Night as it's so close to Fire.

In no particular order:

Pete the Chop
Treasure
A Celebration
Another Day
11 o'Clock
Party Girl
The Dream is Over
Lost on a Silent Planet
Be There
The Fool
Street Mission
False Prophet
Father is an Elephant
Touch
Cartoon World

Thanks for organising this NamkcuR.

Like Axver said, some real gems here. A Celebration and 11O'clock are two of my favourite U2 songs and others like Endless Deep, Treasure and Touch aren't far behind.

I really hope that Angels Too Tied doesn't progress.

The Dream Is Over - This was always my very favorite pre-boy track from the first time I ever listened to them.
Lost On The A Silent Planet - Important in the band's history as they won a contest with it when they were just starting out.
Street Mission - Love the solo at the end.
11 O'Clock Tick Tock - Stone cold classic.
Touch
A Celebration - Propulsive.
Party Girl - The UABRS version might be my favorite non-album thing from this era, perhaps with the exception of 11OTT.
Endless Deep - Always dug the atmosphere on this one, a harbinger of UF.
Treasure - I wish more people knew this one.

Those nine were locks going in for me. After listening to the rest, my remaining six votes went to:

Pete The Chop - I wasn't expecting this one-performance-ever track to be so popular here, but after listening to it(this is one of the few tracks in the whole competition I wasn't familiar with before), I can see why. It's got a nice melody and guitar solo. Notice the oh-oh-ohs from the beginning of Treasure making an appearance in the background at the end of this track.

The Fool - I'd forgotten about Edge's solo in this track. That's enough to let it through. Solid track.

Another Day - Candidate for most obscure U2 single. It's got a vocal hook that can get stuck in your head.

Things To Make And Do - A little repetitive, but pleasant.

Be There - this unreleased track deserves more love. It's so raw and atmospheric, and you can hear War Bono growing into UF Bono. A kind of sibling to Drowning Man, it could fit on either LP(War or UF). A bit surprised this wasn't cleaned off and put on the War re-issue. Hope it squeezes through.

Angels Too Tied To The Ground - I don't really understand the negative feelings towards this. It's got a beat, an almost jazzy vibe, and it's catchy. I dig it.

Some other thoughts:

I'm a bit mystified at the high number of votes for Boy-Girl. I always thought it was one of the more uninteresting pre-Boy tracks.

I really wanted to find room to vote for Alone In The Light, as I dig that track a lot, but too many tracks ahead of it. Likewise, the chorus of Cartoon World can get stuck in one's head, but as a whole I didn't think it was quite strong enough.

I like Saturday Night, but I can't really listen to it without hearing what's missing, because I'm one of the biggest fans of Fire on this forum, probably.

Is it just me, or are there some early hints of The Electric Co. in Speed Of Life?

Oh boy, Angels Too Tied to the Ground is not good. I guess I had never heard it. The vocal is terrible.

I know I'm voting for Saturday Night; I've always preferred it to Fire. Street Mission, 11OCTT and A Celebration are other no brainers. I've got a lot of listening to do. Thanks for putting in the effort of linking everything, Nam.

Nice to see 11 O'clock Tick Tock is the only song with 14/14.

I didn't expect Pete the Chop to be so popular - one more vote than Treasure, in fact!

What happens in case of a tie for 15th? Because right now The Dream Is Over and Angels Too Tied to the Ground are both on 7 votes, and I think there are 14 songs above them.

What happens in case of a tie for 15th? Because right now The Dream Is Over and Angels Too Tied to the Ground are both on 7 votes, and I think there are 14 songs above them.

I saw that. I'm just going to have a tiebreaker poll once this closes, just those two tracks, vote for your favorite, winner advances with the other 14.

I will open that poll concurrently to the 1984-1989 poll since the contents of the latter don't depend on the results of the former.

Back
Top Bottom