best mid SBS speech?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
whats been the best SBS speech ever? I'm down to Rattle & Hum and Slane...but somehow Slane for me takes it all...its just haunting, especially when he starts reading out the names

I love it when Bono can finish the song without preaching :drool:

How long was the Vertigo Sunday Bloody Sunday?

15-20 minutes?

You can't beat the Rattle and Hum "Fuck the Revolution" rant. Bono's finest angry moment.

Agree w/ Lancemc.

"And the GLORY of the revolution... and the glory of DYING for the revolution..."

Such a great version of the song. And yeah, that probably IS Bono's finest angry moment. He was so riled up b/c Iniskillen occured that same day. Are there any other "angry Bono" on-stage moments that measure up?

:hmm:

Have to go with Rattle and Hum, although I do get some chills when he's running down the list of names in the Slane version. There's some power and anger there, too.

RAH is pretty much unbeatable. There are a few other good rants from the eighties but none even come close. The Elevation and Vertigo ones are more of a bore or an embarrassment than anything else.

corianderstem said:
Have to go with Rattle and Hum, although I do get some chills when he's running down the list of names in the Slane version. There's some power and anger there, too.

Chills? I don't like the Slane one at all because it's so scripted. RAH's great because it's impromptu. Slane loses all its power because Bono's so obviously reciting off a printed list. It loses its passion and becomes more of an act.

Yeah, I suppose it is, but I can still hear the emotion in his voice, and that works for me.

But because of that, you're right - Rattle and Hum still wins.

...the one in Melbourne '06: Bono dedicating the tune to Joe Strummer and talking about The Clash having sticked their arse out of the window bein an idol for u2 - plus snippeting "Rock The Casbah". This version was astonishing!

Arnhem July 31 2001, the length of the song is more than 10 minutes and Bono gets really angry in the middle of it during it's speech because people died during the G8 where U2 was at that time. Really cool performance!

The "what does S F stand for?" one from the Free the yuppie concert in 1987 is interesting. :wink:

Yes, the "revolution" one from Rattle and Hum is the best. I also like the Slane one.

U2girl said:
The "what does S F stand for?" one from the Free the yuppie concert in 1987 is interesting. :wink:

Oh boy, I just cringe with embarrassment for Bono when I hear that... he just had politics on the brain and didn't consider that SF could have meant San Francisco... :huh:
(Would anyone be stupid enough to hold up a Sinn Feinn (sp?) sign at a U2 show?)

Rattle & Hum's rant wins my vote. I can understand the band not being sure about including it in the film, although not quite for the reason they said. I am eternally grateful that they did leave it in, though. Like any aspect of a U2 show, we can feel how they felt, because that's what U2 is all about (to me). I may not be able to understand exactly how it feels to know that people in my country are/were blowing each other up for no good reason (or any reason at all), but Bono and the others communicated how THEY felt about it with breathtaking and gut-wrenching effectiveness.

No more!

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Maybe next tour he'll rant about mid song speeches...:wink:

I think he should throw some rants into other songs, like when you least expect it...

You're grooving along to Vertigo and POW he hits you with a 5 min rant about AIDS like a left hook.

You're dancing with your special someone during WOWY and BOOM whats that? A 10 min rant about global warming, thats what!

PS Rattle and Hum movie rant is the best...

R&H for sure, but another good one is 1987-09-28 New York.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom