Best Live Version of With Or Without You?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd have to agree - Rattle & Hum Film - absolutely amazing!

Although live in Birmingham 14/8/01 was fantastic, cause Bono sang Love Will Tear Us Apart at the end and it just worked so well, as if it was meant to be, planned by the late, great Ian Curtis.

What version of With Or Without You do you want? I have several?

Last edited:
29 April 1987.

Rattle And Hum doesn't have the snippet of Love Will Tear Us Apart.

and what about brand new Strangers In The Night snippet? I love this song and I like it more than "shine like stars" part.

Am I the only one who nearly creams myself everytime that song comes on the radio? It is such a powerful song. Bono's vocals are really deep and sexy.

There are two versions I like. One is on the bootleg "Rock's Hottest Ticket" from Chicago 1987. Bono adds the both "love will tear us apart" and "we'll shine like summer stars" bit. He also really hits super high notes (falsetto) on the "nothing to win and nothing left to lose" segment.

The other version is from Ireland - in the Love Town tour, but I forget the exact date. Still the "Rock's Hottest Ticket" version is often considered the best version of this song ever.

Anything in the Joshua Tree / Rattle Hum / Lovetown Era... Bono's vocals are simply golden.

I actually prefer the Sydney version, the Lemon medley. Never heard they end the song that way. However, the Lovetown versions arn t bad either!

Rattle and Hum version
Croke Park 2 1987 - a brilliant 8-minute version with Bono doing a beautiful short acoustic solo and adding new lyrics, apart from the Shine Like Stars verse.
East Rutherford March 18th 1992 - a beautiful long version with Edge improvising a lot in the ending.
DC August 16th 1992 - A classic Zoo version, with some tremendous Larry drumming

JT is best musically, during the first 3/4 of the song. But the ending in Sydney. :drool:

The sound the Edge makes when he brings the riff back so quietly, just before Mac sings 'And you give, and you give...' is fucking HEAVEN.

And it is just a 10 second sound only found on that video (I've not heard other Zoo WOWY boots).

:drool: :drool:

Sorry the only one I got and like I say quality ain't the best :(

I only got that concert bootleg cause it was the one I saw.

Best WOWY is any show from the indoor leg of ZooTV, hands down. You get a beautiful Edge solo, a beautiful backing track with bells AND you usually get the "Shine like stars" snippet.

definetely rattle and hum......loves when he adds the "shine like statrs" snippet (made slane II that much more magical!)

I would have to say that the ZOOtv sydney version is a complete shambles. I dont think the follow through keyboards from lemon is intentional but it sucks Its not even in the same key!! I also think its a very half hearted effort and i dont like edges guitar playing. Thankfully i saw the ZOOtv shows B4 they had changed the way they played it. Rattle and hum version is by far and away the superior version in existance. Not so keen on the stripped down version on Slane either come to think of it.

its a very close run between sydney and rattle and hum,but l would have to r&h is the best. Hope they play it at twickenham when l see them, they have been playing it on and of.:up:

Back
Top Bottom