Best Beautiful Day live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Superbowl performance was great for a lot of reasons, but Bono's voice wasn't one of them. From the bootlegs I've heard, I'd say the best versions come from the most recent shows in Japan. It sounds much more powerful, which is helped by Bono holding "touucchh" for hours. That said, I guess you could say it doesn't have the same "soul" as the Superbowl version.

Here it is: http://download.you send.com/DCC228BC0932372B (remove the space)

On a side note, I'd say the Japan shows featured Bono's best vocals in many, many years.

The 5th leg versions was amazing, also the Good Morning Amercia version of the the Chicago show is good, the sound its much stronger then on the dvd, you can hear Bono's voice much more. That version is a must hear :)

coolian2 said:
5th leg Vertigo - any. I nominate Auckland I.

Or just any with the Sgt. Peppers snippet :drool:

Agreed. Beautiful Day hit new heights on that leg. Not sure I have a favourite.

The Live8 performance is great, Bono sang it very well and even included a snippet of Blackbird at the end as a little nod to McCartney who he'd just sung Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band with.

Its actually never been among my more favoured U2 tracks. But I would like to offer this thought on the topic.
I cannot stand the guitar sound on any of the Vertigo Tour versions. To me, it sounds flat and murky, whereas earlier versions, the sound was crispand zingy. I have to skip Vertigo versions I have of the song, yet i can listen to the slane and Boston versions.

I've never been able to tell any difference between the performances other than Bono's voice.

That said, any Vertigo show probably beats any Elevation show for that reason.

And, as said before, Vertigo Leg 5 is the best.

The Tokyo 2006 version is very beautiful, Bono's voice is great and the snippets are amazing. Great version, but I also love Live 8, just for the atmosphere.

My favorites:

elevation slane
live8
MTV europe awards 2000
elevation boston

Agreed with above about Tokyo, the november 30th bootleg is one of the best U2 concerts I have ever heard.

gorman said:
The Superbowl performance was great for a lot of reasons, but Bono's voice wasn't one of them. From the bootlegs I've heard, I'd say the best versions come from the most recent shows in Japan. It sounds much more powerful, which is helped by Bono holding "touucchh" for hours. That said, I guess you could say it doesn't have the same "soul" as the Superbowl version.

Here it is: http://download.you send.com/DCC228BC0932372B (remove the space)

On a side note, I'd say the Japan shows featured Bono's best vocals in many, many years.

I was just listening 2 the last Japan show, and I think U're right.

Notre Dame, love the way he repeats the opening line over and over again.
And Beautiful Day as the encore closer at the Boston IV June 2001 show rocked.

:hmm:

I haven't heard any performance of bd from the 5th leg.
Could someone post a good quality version thanks.

jimjam said:
:hmm:

I haven't heard any performance of bd from the 5th leg.
Could someone post a good quality version thanks.
There's a link to BD from one of the Tokyo Saitama shows in December 2006 on page 1 of this thread. It should be still active.

There were great versions on 'VERTIGO' TOUR 2005/06,

especially

07.08.2005 Barcelona
Beautiful Day incl. Sgt. Pepper/Here Comes the Sun/Blackbird

&

18.11.2006 Melbourne I
24.11.2006 Auckland I
...what a voice ...

But don't forget the 'ELEVATION' TOUR 2001,

especially

02.12.2001 Miami
...a stretched version with a lot of Bono improvisation about himself and his 'bad' habits (alcohol, cigarettes etc.) - wow!

Great live song, tough to pick.

i love the RADIO ONE performance on the promotional shows for HTDAAB. The one live in Dublin. Awesome version :drool:

Another vote for Elevation Notre Dame, when they opened with it. Bono just strolled out on stage, "The heart is a-bloom. Shoots up through the stony ground. The heart is A-BLOOOOOOM. Shoots up . . . through stony ground." It was mayhem! :wink:

The SNL version was really something special. So were the Slane and Boston DVD ones

Saitama #3 from the 5th Leg Vertigo Tour. I love the "Hallelujahs" snippets and singing at the end.

Back
Top Bottom