Best Album Survivor v2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please select your FIVE favourite albums

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for your FIVE MOST FAVOURITE ALBUMS.

Welcome to Album Survivor! Earlier in the week I promised to start this, so here we go. In 2009, when we finished the normal version of Survivor, we ran a different format - and interestingly it turned up some different results. Now that digitize has finished running a very successful version of the normal version of Survivor, I thought I'd repeat Survivor v2 and see how different the results are this time.

This round will last for 48 hours and will be followed by v2 of Best Song Survivor. This round determines the seeding for that tournament.

Best Song Survivor v2 will be a much quicker tournament than the previous one, with a single round for each album where you vote for your favourite songs in a multiple choice poll. It's much like the miscellaneous rounds in the normal version of Survivor. In this version, all non-album tracks from a given era will be integrated with their respective albums. The top five albums in Album Survivor will get seven finalists, the middle four will get six; the bottom four will get five. If you are having trouble deciding which album will be fifth and which will miss out on receiving your vote, you may wish to choose on the basis of how good an album's b-sides are, since they will feature in that album's poll this time around.

Each decade will have its own semi-final, and the eighties will have quarter finals to qualify for its semi. Progression from quarter and semi-finals will be determined by the cumulative seeding of an era's albums. The grand final will feature thirty options, the maximum possible with polls on this forum, to give a ranking of Interference's top thirty U2 songs.

There will be NO VOTE CHANGING in this tournament.

Have fun!

Unforgettable Fire
Achtung Baby
Zooropa
All That You Can't Leave Behind
No Line On The Horizon

1. The Unforgettable Fire
2. Boy
3. The Joshua Tree
4. Passengers
5. October

And the rest:

6. Pop
7. War
8. Achtung Baby
9. Zooropa
10. No Line on the Horizon
11. Rattle and Hum
12. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
13. All That You Can't Leave Behind

Honestly though, only 1-5 and 12-13 are set in stone at the moment; that run from 6th to 11th is variable these days. I tend to listen just to select tracks from those albums rather than to them as a whole.

The Unforgettable Fire
The Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby
Zooropa

Thanks for administering this, Axver. :up:
It'll be interesting to see how the results vary.

Achtung Baby
The Joshua Tree
War
Rattle And Hum
October
The Unforgettable Fire
Boy
Zooropa
Pop
No Line On The Horizon
Bomb
ATYCLB

Thanks for doing this, Axver!

1) Achtung Baby
2) Zooropa
3) The Unforgettable Fire (tie)
3) No Line on the Horizon (tie)
5) The Joshua Tree

The Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby
Pop
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

This list always seems to change at different times for me. I'd wager my list looked different the last time Axver ran this Survivor. I wasn't even positive which 5 I'd check before I ran down the list. But most of them arose quite quickly. My final spot wavered between TUF, Zooropa, and ATYCLB. Tonight ATYCLB won out.

Achtung Baby
The Joshua Tree
Zooropa
The Unforgettable Fire
Pop
--
No Line On The Horizon

The list goes on, though I often switch Zooropa and The Unforgettable Fire. 1-2, 5-7 are locks. Everything else changes.

My top five is so easy it's not funny. I have such a clear-cut top 5 from them, my favorite band, and it's a top 5 that I could recite in my sleep, fucked up on Quaaludes and dreams of Emma Watson:

1. Achtung Baby
2. Joshua Tree
3. Pop
4. Unforgettable Fire
5. Zooropa

Fuck off.

1) And you know it's time to go...
2) I want to run, I want to hide...
3) I'm ready, I'm ready for the laughing gas...
4) The heart is a bloom, shoots up from the stony ground...
5) When you get to the bottom you go back to the top of the slide...
-
I know a girl who's like the sea, I watch her changing every day for me...

Peace & Joy.

Rattle and Hum at five?!?!!!!??!

I know, it should be ranked higher, but the ones above it are just that good. So I typically have it at #5, alternating with NLOTH.

Poor October. :(

What do I care?

(Kidding...I'm actually probably one of the few people here who like that record more than Boy or War...I see it as kind of spiritual sibling to TUF and NLOTH).

Well, looks like our top five seeds are pretty damn clear.

In chronological order:

1) The Unforgettable Fire
2) The Joshua Tree
3) Achtung Baby
4) Zooropa
5) Pop

I'm going to go with my current favorites rather than what I think the "best" albums are.

1. War
2. Boy
3. Pop
4. Achtung Baby
5. Joshua Tree

I've been on a big post-punk kick lately, and hearing the variety of things that went on in that movement has made me all the more appreciative of War and Boy. Those two albums are as assured and raw as U2 has ever been. They're really the only two albums in the catalogue that feel organic, like they were not meticulously pieced together in the studio but rather just performed. I'm coming to appreciate that quality more and more. And even something like Red Light, which is definitely a mis-step, is performed with such conviction that it works within the context of the album.

Never understood the weird obsession with Pop from a lot of the people on these boards.

What is so difficult to understand? It is filled with stunning songs from top to bottom, some of which also pushed their creative envelope at the time. Unless you feel that if an album was critically panned, it should not be appreciated by fans.

Back
Top Bottom