Best Album Survivor: Round Ten

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite album?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
In an incredibly close round, The Unforgettable Fire just barely lost to Zooropa in the last round and has secured fourth place in our Best Album Survivor contest. Round ten time! You have 24 hours to vote for your least favorite album.

Current ranks:
4. The Unforgettable Fire
5. Pop
6. Boy
7 (tie). No Line on the Horizon
7 (tie). War
9. Rattle and Hum
10. All That You Can't Leave Behind
11. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
12. Original Soundtracks 1
13. October

I'm probably going to regret voting AB as I wouldn't be surprised if this forum will aim to rid us of the last 80s album remaining

Zooropa, obviously. It's very close for me between AB and Zooropa, but as far as top twenty U2 tracks of mine go, Achtung produces The Fly, Acrobat, and LIB, while Zooropa has just the title track.

Achtung probably has more lowlights too, but the top twenty tracks are what's been swaying my vote.

JT, sorry babe but I'm more of a 90s kinda gal. There's a reason 3 of my top 4 records are the 90s records. You're number five.

Zooropa. JT should win this, although I know this won't happen, but it's (slightly) better than AB (which is one of my favourite albums too).

JT > AB
Zoo TV > JT Tour

JT. Yeah, there's obviously a lot of killer stuff on there, but the two 90s albums there have sort of become my out-and-out U2 favs over the past year or so - I suppose I've become more interested in how the band managed to redevelop themselves so successfully rather than how they got so big in the first place. I guess if I were thinking about how the usual suspect songs are played live, JT would blow the others out of the water - but I ain't.

JT or Zooropa. I really need to think about this. Hmmm. Ok that took 0.0001 seconds. :D

I have to vote Zooropa here. As forward-looking as that album was, JT is one of the few albums I have ever heard with a genuinely unique sound. They really captured what they were going for on JT: Americana with an electrified yet contemplative atmosphere. And despite being one of the quintessential albums of the 80s, it never for a moment sounds dated. I've been a critic in the past of its second half, but the whole picture is a more cohesive vision than Zooropa, in my opinion.

Zooropa - my third favorite U2 album, just an amazing album. Doesn't have the same epicness as TJT or Achtung Baby, in my opinion. Congrats for making it this far. :wink:

Wow, that was a surprising win for Zooropa. I didn't think it had a shot here. There's no doubt the title track being played, and played so awesomely on 360 catapulted it up this high.

I'm split between Zooropa and JT now. I'm going to play them both now back to back and then make my decision. I started with Zooropa. Babyface just ended. I like that song, it just needs to be listened to in a certain context. Sure, you're not going to blast it with the windows open while driving down the highway, but its very nice with good headphones in a dark room.

These three albums are all so phenomenal, it doesn't really matter at this point. Honestly there isn't one song on any of these albums that I don't love.

JT's lyrics aren't as sophisticated as the others, but the musical accomplishment is unique and immortal.

Achtung is as perfect an album as I've ever heard.

Zooropa dares to peek in corners most rock bands never even dreamed of looking, and while a little more scattershot than the others its quick birth and delivery give it a startling immediacy.

Wow, coming down to 50/50 for Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby (two painfully different periods in U2's career) is kinda cool.
Almost predictable, (and I include myself in this because, duh I voted too)
but still kinda cool nonetheless.

Okay, these album survivors haven't been particularly exciting... I just kept voting for the same album round after round until it's eventually dropped. :tsk:

Don't track back to when I would have given it a 7 or 8 then. It has grown on me immensely over the years. It's probably my 4th favorite U2 album now, which is exceptionally high praise.

I enjoy literally every moment of Zooropa and Joshua Tree and still feel that way after hundreds of listens.

I for the life of me could never enjoy Trip Through Your Wires. A shitty song indeed.

djerdap said:
I for the life of me could never enjoy Trip Through Your Wires. A shitty song indeed.

I love Trip Through Your Wires and Some Days Are Better Than Others.

I love Trip Through Your Wires and Some Days Are Better Than Others.

To me, both are pointless songs that sit on their respective albums pretty well. I find Zooropa a somewhat more compelling album than The Joshua Tree, though, so I tend to be marginally more fond of SDABTO. Very marginally.

I could never see the attraction in Trip Through and Mothers. Mothers - to my ears- is too much similar to Seeland from Neu! 75. Only Seeland is much better. I'm not in love either with Still Haven't Found.

Zooropa for me. The other two are in my top three all-time, by any artist.

But if you don't like Babyface, Some Days and Daddy's Gonna Pay then enjoy rotting in the depths of hell.

The Sad Punk said:
JT. Yeah, there's obviously a lot of killer stuff on there, but the two 90s albums there have sort of become my out-and-out U2 favs over the past year or so - I suppose I've become more interested in how the band managed to redevelop themselves so successfully rather than how they got so big in the first place. I guess if I were thinking about how the usual suspect songs are played live, JT would blow the others out of the water - but I ain't.

Weird, I had no idea you even liked Zooropa :wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom