Best Album Survivor: Round One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite album?

• No Line on the Horizon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pop

• Zooropa

• Achtung Baby

• The Joshua Tree

• The Unforgettable Fire

• Boy

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
It's time to begin the activities leading up to our Best Song Survivor contest with a Best Album Survivor contest! There will be twelve rounds in this contest, each lasting 24 hours. At the end, we will theoretically have Interference's ranking of all thirteen albums (I'm including Original Soundtracks 1). From that I will derive how many songs from each album will get to the semifinal round (or quarterfinal round for the 80s). I'm not entirely sure on the formula yet, but it'll probably: four songs for the top four albums, three songs for the middle five albums, and two songs for the bottom four albums. When the Best Album Survivor contest is finished, I will come up with very detailed rules on the Best Song Survivor Contest.

For now, though, you have 24 hours to vote. VOTE FOR YOUR LEAST FAVORITE ALBUM, as it will be eliminated from the contest. The best album will be the one which, well, survives all twelve rounds. Have fun!

Wait: someone actually had the gall to select October when Passengers was included??

Die.

:angry:
Yup. :D (Don't worry, Passengers is next.)

I can see this competition may take a while. Hopefully we get some real album news by the time it's done. Probably not, but hopefully. :wink:

Indeed, this could take a while.

What not just dispense with the formality of doing the albums, save some time and anoint Achtung Baby sole survivor now? That way you can just move straight on to the songs.

Yea, Passengers has some redeeming qualities for me. October, not so much. Although October does get points for having a train wreck of an album cover.

Nick66 said:
Indeed, this could take a while.

What not just dispense with the formality of doing the albums, save some time and anoint Achtung Baby sole survivor now? That way you can just move straight on to the songs.

Because we need to figure out how many songs all of the other albums seed.

Also, Passengers >>>>>>>>> October.

Your blue room alone is better than the October album.
And i like the October album a lot.

What's up with this October bashing?

Tomorrow is one of my favorites in general, Rejoice has one of the heaviest and most powerful endings in their catalogue, the title track is beautiful in its simplicity, With a Shout's lyrics are devastating in their cheesiness, but the song is pure energy, the tribal drumming of I Threw a Brick Through a Window... All great stuff. The album does end on a whimper, but the first two thirds are at least as good as Boy, and certainly better than most of their post-Million Dollar Hotel output.

I had to go with Passengers. I don't dislike it, and sometimes I really dig most of it. But compared to the U2 albums, it was an easy decision to throw it under the bus first.

I'd have to go with Rattle & Hum here. There are some great singles on there, but the package as a whole feels like an ill-conceived mess. It's certainly the U2 album that I am least inclined to play the whole way through.

I'd be sad to see October go. It's a better album than people give it credit for.

Trying to remain calm but ffs Passengers does not have as many good songs on it. 2-3, tops.

October has Tomorrow, Gloria, I Threw A Brick, Rejoice..to start..

And the biggest thing Passengers doesn't have: The Edge

When I listened to Passengers high outta my fucking mind, yeah it was mindblowing, other worldly, etc etc....

then I woke up, and more importantly, sobered up....and put October back in the CD changer, where it belonged

If October loses so early I will be cry :sad:

Trying to remain calm but ffs Passengers does not have as many good songs on it. 2-3, tops.

And the biggest thing Passengers doesn't have: The Edge

Passengers has tons of The Edge, but he's not in the Bullet the Blue Sky or The Fly mode if you will.

As far as good songs on Passengers, I'd make a case for United Colours, Slug, Your Blue Room, Always Forever Now, Beach Sequence, Miss Sarajevo, One Minute Warning and Theme From Let's Go Native all belonging in that department.

I would be willing to say that I like Your Blue Room better than Boy, October, and War combined. And I really don't dislike any of those three albums. I just really love YBR.

Passengers - have learned to like many of the tracks since the Rate the Song series, but to me it's still the weakest one. :shrug:

djerdap said:
As far as good songs on Passengers, I'd make a case for United Colours, Slug, Your Blue Room, Always Forever Now, Beach Sequence, Miss Sarajevo, One Minute Warning and Theme From Let's Go Native all belonging in that department.

:love:

I'd be sad to see October go. It's a better album than people give it credit for.

For me personally, it's just that I like all their other albums a bit better. It also came to a Passengers vs. October choice for me, and even though I don't really care for a good chunk of Passengers myself, the songs I do listen to are pretty strong to me.

And I find both of those albums to be superior to most of what the band has put out in the last 12 years.

Back
Top Bottom