Best Album Survivor: Round One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite album?

• No Line on the Horizon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pop

• Zooropa

• Achtung Baby

• The Joshua Tree

• The Unforgettable Fire

• Boy

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The arguments become as predictable as the results in these things.

Although Nick is new to these, so we'll get to add his voice as the Pop hater. :)

October is in the top half of U2's output. Passengers is enjoyable but more than half of the tracks are basically nothing but enjoyable filler.

October is in the top half of U2's output. Passengers is enjoyable but more than half of the tracks are basically nothing but enjoyable filler.

Agreed completely. Though I still like Passengers better than ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

corianderstem said:
WlLL THE INSANITY EVER STOP????

:panic:

Once ppl vote off Zooropa instead of Rattle n Hum or No Line i'll be sure it's a damn crazy world.

I'd have to go with Rattle & Hum here. There are some great singles on there, but the package as a whole feels like an ill-conceived mess. It's certainly the U2 album that I am least inclined to play the whole way through.

Me too. Also I wanted to be a little contrarian and not give another vote to October or Passengers. I'm very happy with October only getting two songs. Gloria and Stranger in a Strange Land.

United Colours, Slug, Your Blue Room, Always Forever Now, Beach Sequence, Miss Sarajevo, One Minute Warning and Theme From Let's Go Native are all awesome.

Or people can have opinions.

Don't start :lol:

Had to vote for Rattle & Hum here, simply because I don't like the live and studio mixing of the songs. Granted it has some good songs like Hawkmoon 269 and Heartland. And seeing at they wanted to get rid of the image with AB, I just don't like the idea of 'country' U2.

Amazed at all of the hate for October and Passengers, but more for OST1 when the last set of polls we had opened it up to new light. :shrug:

I'm not surprised at the hate for Passengers though it is a little disappointing. It was a cool direction. Wish they had the balls to do something similar today.

Well, I shouldn't say I'm surprised about the hate for Passengers, but why so early in? I would have expected Pop almost immediately. I know this is out of the question as I look at it now, but it would be some cool shit to see a little obscure album like Passengers make it to the top ten.

I don't hate Original Soundtracks, but even with the good songs on it, I wouldn't trade it for October, no way. And I love Slug. It's awesome, but a lot of the other stuff on there is just not good U2 music, for me.

Were like sooo indie and hip for, you know, recognizing the sheer brilliance of such an obscure masterpiece.

NOT

Its not hatred, its just not a fucking good album! It's a collection of soundscapes..movie background noise. Half of the tracks aren't even songs! It's not even technically part of the U2 discography! :lol:

To hear someone actually say that Passengers trumps ANY U2 album, RnH included, just makes me laugh. Ridiculous! Ms Sarajevo and Your Blue Room are the LONE saving graces of this experiment. I'd take Miami - FUCKING MIAMI! - over most of the other tracks.

Half of the tracks aren't even songs!

music = songs?

There can be no music without a defined verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus arrangement?

I can get behind disliking the album. Really, it's bizarre, especially if you're used to hearing something entirely different from the band. But your definition of music is so absurdly narrow I've got to say something.

Comparing October to Passengers doesn't even work because their goals are v ery different. October, outside of October and Scarlet is a very traditional post-punk record that frankly isn't very well written. There are a fistful of really great songs, but for the most part they didn't write very memorable material. Passengers can't be rated the same way because, yeah, it doesn't follow the same formula. And yet, it's a far more memorable, coherent, unique creation. Just because one album has songs and the other doesn't, that doesn't make the songs any good, nor does it make the experiments inherently awful. Take the albums as they are without forcing the same expectations on both of them.

Or don't, and miss out on a lot of great music. Passengers is probably the 800th strangest album I've ever heard, so it's really only uphill from there when it comes to electronic/ambient releases.

I don't really understand why some people are somewhat convinced that Pop was going to go first. Sure, it's not the most loved album and has raised loads of debate, but I think Interference as a whole rates it as a fairly good album. A masterpiece? No. But the collective opinion seems to be more positive than not.

At least that's what I can tell.

LemonMelon said:
music = songs?

There can be no music without a defined verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus arrangement?

I can get behind disliking the album. Really, it's bizarre, especially if you're used to hearing something entirely different from the band. But your definition of music is so absurdly narrow I've got to say something.

Comparing October to Passengers doesn't even work because their goals are v ery different. October, outside of October and Scarlet is a very traditional post-punk record that frankly isn't very well written. There are a fistful of really great songs, but for the most part they didn't write very memorable material. Passengers can't be rated the same way because, yeah, it doesn't follow the same formula. And yet, it's a far more memorable, coherent, unique creation. Just because one album has songs and the other doesn't, that doesn't make the songs any good, nor does it make the experiments inherently awful. Take the albums as they are without forcing the same expectations on both of them.

Or don't, and miss out on a lot of great music. Passengers is probably the 800th strangest album I've ever heard, so it's really only uphill from there when it comes to electronic/ambient releases.

:applaud: Nicely put. Great post.

Back
Top Bottom