Best Album Opening...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoodlem

War Child
...not necessarily the best song but best opening song to an album.

I would guess the top contenders would be
  • WTSHNN - TJT
  • ZOO Station - AB
  • Zooropa - Zooropa
  • Discotheque - POP

Those are all my favorites. But I would choose Zooropa as the ultimate U2 opening track. WTSHNN is a close second and Zoostation a close 3rd. They are all so good and really set up the mood for the entire album that they represent.

(Vertigo is a good openning song but not for the album that follows. It just doesn't fit and gives a false impression of the album.)

Zooropa for me. It sets the tone for the album and has a great dramatic build-up.

Streets is my all time favorite song by anybody, and Zoo Station is a brilliant opener, but Zooropa's intro really is one of the best things U2 has ever done. That piano is just :drool:

Both Zooropa and Zoo Station are true openers for what is to come. It definitely has to be one of those two. Tough choice between them though, but I'd give it to Zooropa for being a more complete introduction to the themes and ideas on that album.

Zoo Station. The moment that distorted guitar kicks in, you know you're in for a dark, wild ride. Definitely sets the tone for the entire album.

Love and peace should be the opener on bomb! [/B]

Completly agree.

I love Discotheque as the opener, but Streets is so epic. I would have to go with Streets.

Just like to add the HTDAAB tracklisting should have been: :reject:

LOPOE
Vertigo
MD
etc.

Making a top 5...

1. Streets
2. Zooropa
3. Zoo Station
4. A sort of homecoming
5. Gloria

Honorable mentions: I will follow, SBS, Vertigo

Has to be Streets. There is no better opener for an album.

Discotheque, Zoo Station, and Zooropa all come in close second...I'd pick the Zoos over Discotheque as openers even though Discotheque is a better song.

miss becky said:
Zoo Station. The moment that distorted guitar kicks in, you know you're in for a dark, wild ride. Definitely sets the tone for the entire album.

:yes: Absolutely.

Zoo Station

1. Streets
2. Beautiful Day
3. Zoo Station
4. Zooropa
5. Discotheque

haha when i thought about it i actually realised i preferred Streets and Beautiful Day as album openers when i consider more 90s orientated.

Can't pick a fave, that's the great thing of a band like U2
you have so many great openers, so many diferent colours, so many diferent kind of sounds....
What a truly great band this is!

Just look at Sunday Bloody Sunday, all the way to Zooropa and to Vertigo

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!

Back
Top Bottom