Best Album Cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DevilsShoes

War Child
Which is the best, or at least your favourite? The stark innocence of the Boy cover which so many people seem to remember, or the desert scape of the Joshua Tree showing U2 on the verge of becoming megastars, or maybe its the kaleidoscopic imagery of Achtung Baby?

I've personally always been fond of the Pop cover, I just like the colours and the expressions on their four faces. :)

The Beatles always had such iconic covers didn't they? Revolver, Sgt Pepper, Abbey Road, they're all so good and so recognisable and have been imitated so many times. The covers of the 00's I haven't found all that inspired really, particulary the last one, they should go for the simple, yet powerful imagery that the Beatles pulled off so well.

I really like the simplicity of Pop as well, though the Joshua Tree is also up there simply for the fact that i tink its an amazing shot...

In terms of iconic imagery, you have to give it to Joshua Tree.

The thing I dislike about their covers is that they all pretty much follow the same basic principle of band members on the cover. The only exceptions are Boy, War and Zooropa and even these three are variations of another cover, Boy and War are related and Zooropa is a re-mix if you will of Achtung...

That being said, I can't really decide which is my favorite, it comes down to:

- Zooropa because it's so abstract and colorful
- Pop because it has a simple but very stylistic look
- ATYCLB because it's stark and understated and appeals to me

Last edited:
My favorite is the Achtung Baby cover. I loved all the color after the black and white covers of JT and Rattle & Hum.

Av always been kinda fascinated By UF cover. JT is iconic. all the rest are pretty cool in my opinion except............I HATED HTDAAB. Just think it looks like some new bands first cover.

Zooropa for the visual impact and the mixture of messages in it.
Pop, for the originality and the influences in the pop art.
The Joshua Tree for its simplicity and, at the same time, for its complex feeling.

Tough to narrow down to just one. AB, JT, Zooropa, UF, ATYCLB, War, R&H, Pop are all great! If I had to choose one, I'd probably go with Achtung because I love how the cover depicts the cultural chaos of the time in Berlin.

I like HTDAAB except for Edge. Edge looks pretty ridiculous in that outfit. The rest of the band look great though, and I was impressed when I got it. Bono looks like he has a little bit of a "The Fly" smirk, and I hoped that the music reflected that.

Unforgettable Fire is my favorite. It takes my mind places.

jonnytakeawalk said:
The JT album cover is just classic :drool:

I totally agree, Edge looked :drool: in that era!!!!:D Mind you they all did!!!:happy:

I did like the Pop cover as well though it was something different!!

i cant decide between JT and ATYCLB...

JT just has that 'look' to it, like they know they are about to be rockstars, but they are waiting to tell us...:|

ATYCLB is like...where can we go next?

I've currently got 19 of their albums/EPs framed & for me, the most striking ones are: War, ATYCLB & The Best of 80-90. :up:

Achtung Baby

There's just so much going on, its like the Sgt. Pepper cover, you could just stare at it and start picking out new things you might not have noticed before. Like Adam.............yeeeaaahhh.
:lol:

BoyStupidBoy88 said:
Achtung Baby

There's just so much going on, its like the Sgt. Pepper cover, you could just stare at it and start picking out new things you might not have noticed before. Like Adam.............yeeeaaahhh.
:lol:

Is there something wrong with me that I dont find that picture particuarly appealing and I'm a girl??

The "Achtung Baby" multi-foto-cover as its follow-up, the "Zooropa" picture, were new and fresh, when they hit the stores in the early 90ies. there was so much talk about the image of the band, new looks, new sounds - maybe, maybe too much talk. Because all that stands the test of time, is a classic.
And for me the classic U2 imagery simply is from the 80ies albums, especially from '84 and '87 - iconic covers, even more 20 years after.

All the photo's from the Achtung Baby booklet are amazing. Inc the 2 coolest ever pictures of Bono. The small one of him smiling wickedly in his fly shades in some bar, it's on the same page as the lyrics of the fly, and the second one is on the back cover, near a naked adam clayton. Bono is standing in front of a white background in a black shirt and trousers, fly shades on, clicking his fingers, my God he looked so cool!!
Worst is HTDAAB, the cover of ATYCLB is really good, but both booklets suck.

gman said:
Av always been kinda fascinated By UF cover. JT is iconic. all the rest are pretty cool in my opinion except............I HATED HTDAAB. Just think it looks like some new bands first cover.

Couldn't agree more.

the UF cover is as beautiful as a poem, definitely my favorite. The worst is HTDAAB cover, followed by October. :madspit:

The Zooropa cover is badass. Love it. Pop, War, and AB are all really good too. Love the four colours and pointillism of Pop, the engaging aspect of Achtung (like someone else said, you can keep looking at it and finding new things) and the iconic, powerful look of the boy on War.

I think Zooropa gets my vote too... although it's been too long since I really looked at the album covers. (Most of my CDs are kept in those little 24-sleeve cases.)
I also like War for reasons stated above... Achtung Baby's cover is awesome too, although I don't find that Adam picture particularly appealing either :wink:

Back
Top Bottom