Best Album Closer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your favorite album closer?

• Shadows and Tall Trees (Boy)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Is That All? (October)

• "40" (War)

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • MLK (The Unforgettable Fire)

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Mothers of the Disappeared (The Joshua Tree)

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • All I Want Is You (Rattle and Hum)

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Love is Blindness (Achtung Baby)

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • The Wanderer/Zooropa Siren noise (Zooropa)

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Theme from Let's Go Native (Passengers - Original Soundtracks 1)

• Wake Up Dead Man (POP)

Votes: 10 11.8%
  • October (The Best of 1980-1990)

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Grace (All That You Can't Leave Behind)

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • The First Time (The Best of 1990-2000) - Assuming The Fly is not the hidden track

• Total voters
For me it's a toss-up between AIWIY and Love is Blindness, mainly becose I LOVE the end solo of Love is Blindness, but I ADORE the orchestral ending of AIWIY!!! So i voted for All I Want Is You.

Oh, man, was that hard! There were so many choices that would've worked equally well..."40"...Mothers of the Disappeared...All I Want is You...Wake up Dead Man...But I had to go with Love is Blindness.

a river in a time of dryness

'All I Want Is You' is such an amazing orchestral end to R&H. I really really like Blindness, MOTD and 40 too. But hey, cant vote for everything...:D

Love is Blindness

But I also have to give props to MLK and Shadows and Tall Trees, I love how both of them close their respective albums.

that was really, really hard - I could have picked a heap of them, however I went with AIWIY as I think it is such a great song, actually probably the best song from Rattle and it really does close that album in spectacular style, however Love is blindness is a very close second:)

I had to go with Love is Blindness because it is one of my favorite all-time songs ever in the whole universe and it's just so unsettlingly, devastatingly beautiful to have it close off Achtung Baby. '40' is a fucking amazing concert closer, but I think LIB beats it out by just a little for best album closer.

Honorable mentions go to Shadows, AIWIY, MLK, The Wanderer, and Wake Up Dead Man. ;)

Love Is Blindness. Without any question. It's one of the best U2 songs anyway.

tHE HEART IS A BLOOM !!!!!

Wake up Dead Man , cause i really like Edge's guitar and bono's screamings

DREAM OUTLOUD :heart:

IMO it really has to be The Wanderer
stroke of genious having Johnny Cash close a U2 album by singing a song that has some of Bono's most reveiling lyrics ever + musically it's a really great way to close an album (with the backing vocals etc)

I don't doubt that Love Is Blindness will win this anyway though
maybe polls re. "best U2 ..." should just have as options
1. Achtung Baby
2. see 1

It was really, really REALLY hard to vote against 40, MLK, Mothers of the Disappeared and Love is Blindness, but I finally decided to go with All I Want Is You, because it is not only a brilliant way to close Rattle and Hum (and close the entire '80s era), but of all the album closers it is probably the best as an individual, stand-alone song.

AIWIY bc that was my wedding song, but like most of you LIB is awesome, the guitar at the ends puts me in a trance! 40 is 3rd because it just has that tune of a closer.

This was a really tough choice but I went with "All I Want is You." It made so much sense to have that song close out "Rattle & Hum" because it's softness and slick production are a complete departure from the more stripped down rock'n roll/blues feel of the rest of the album. The most genius part is the swelling orchestration at the end, the band completely disappears during that last section. It presents this really cool image of the band putting down its instruments and just walking away as the orchestra finishes the song out.

dsmith2904 said:
This was a really tough choice but I went with "All I Want is You." It made so much sense to have that song close out "Rattle & Hum" because it's softness and slick production are a complete departure from the more stripped down rock'n roll/blues feel of the rest of the album. The most genius part is the swelling orchestration at the end, the band completely disappears during that last section. It presents this really cool image of the band putting down its instruments and just walking away as the orchestra finishes the song out.

What I would've said if I were better with words. :yes:

Wake up dead man.

For the simple fact its my fav U2 song. But it also closes out a dark alblum with its darkest song, they dont back down and give an upbeat track they go deeper into the deapths of despair and this song is such a lyrical genious with the brass opening remarks of: "Jesus, Jesus help me, I'm alone in this world and a fucked up world it is too"

And the gutair is crazy it bring shivers up my back.

Ooh...it'll be hard for me to vote for just one, so here's my top three from that poll, in this order (if I'm gonna have to choose):

1. "Love Is Blindness"-my god, this song is so haunting...but I love it, it's beautiful.

2. "All I Want Is You"-the music at the end of the song, the string instruments and everything...simply beautiful. And the whole, "You...all I want is you" thing-the way Bono chooses to end the song lyrically like that...wonderful.

3. "40"-Short, simple...and really pretty.

Angela

Love is Blindness, the perfect ending for a perfect album. It's just summing up all the obsession, love, and darkness from the other songs. And doing it so beautifully... :sad: And that guitar :drool: just magnificent. :heart: :edge:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom