Besides Miss Sarajevo, what will be stand outs on the Milan DVD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
partygirlvox said:
Chicago doesnt suck. But that arguments for another thread!

Heres the reason why I don't return look at the Chicago DVD:

Bono's voice inst the best
The sounds inst good compare to Slane and Boston
The crowd is booring

I don't know why they changed the sound, just compare the dvd with the GMA video on Beautiful Day, so much powerful sound on GMA.

I'm not going to defend the crowd, or the sound. I just think the dvd (i dont know what exactly about the dvd as im not an expert) sort of captures all the feelings I felt when I saw u2 Buffalo. I could name a thousand things that could be improved..but I just love watching it because it takes me back to my december gig.
And can i just say - chicago doesnt compare to slane. No gig compares to the slane castle gig. I'm like the mighty defender of that gig!

An Cat Gav said:

what are the chances of us ever getting a live dvd from TUF tour?
That would be the best dvd ever:drool:

It's not going to happen, and it wouldn't be that great; too much UF stuff polluting the setlist. :yuck: :sexywink:

The best U2 gig that was released that I've seen is Sydney.

BANZAI said:
I don't get why people are so excited about a concert that has almost the same setlist (with a few exceptions) as the Chicago DVD.

Coz is a totally different show mate , a very alive crowd unlike Chicago , it's a stadium show this time , and all these differents .......... besides there are some deep differences :

Milan starts and ends with Vertigo , there's

Follow , AIWIY , I still Haven't , Miss Saravejo , WOWY , OOTS (which can be considered different ) , COBL is played on the middle .........

Peterrrrr said:

The crowd is booring

That I gotta disagree mate , Chicago's sound is crystal compared to these ..... maybe is Edge's different choice of guitars .... don't know , but for instance , Slane his particular is very very harsh , in a bad way .......

Besides in overall , I'm a much big lover of Vertigo than Elevation , in fact in some years I guess elevation will be the less remembered tour of the 00's

Out of the two songs (vertigo and elevation) i prefer vertigo. But when i hear elevation at the beginning of slane castle i get goose bumps - its amazing.

Peterrrrr said:

Heres the reason why I don't return look at the Chicago DVD:

The crowd is booring

You're exactly right. Chicago sounds very amatuerish when compared to Slane and Boston. I'm a big fan of HTDAAB but I've only watched Chicago once compared to about 20 times each of Slane and Boston.

The crowd argument is the single dumbest thing I have seen.

Do you watch a concert DVD for the music and band, or to watch the crowd's reactions?

Maybe I'm not seeing something here...

LemonMacPhisto said:

Do you watch a concert DVD for the music and band, or to watch the crowd's reactions?

Like you post every time...

When the band has full audience participation, it makes the songs better. you appreciate the performance more, and appreciate the songs more... you look forward to hearing how the audience reacts, because like yourself, you're a passionate fan, and you sing, shout, go crazy and cry to certain U2 songs.

yeah sometimes U2 builds off the audience's reactions and they just have a ball (example: slane)

anyways, answering the original question, i thikn ISHFWILF is pretty good in Milan =)

J_NP said:

That I gotta disagree mate , Chicago's sound is crystal compared to these ..... maybe is Edge's different choice of guitars .... don't know , but for instance , Slane his particular is very very harsh , in a bad way .......

Besides in overall , I'm a much big lover of Vertigo than Elevation , in fact in some years I guess elevation will be the less remembered tour of the 00's

I mean the quiality sound on the dvd, if you listen to it on a good sound system it dosent come close to Boston and Slane.

The Searcher said:

Like you post every time...

When the band has full audience participation, it makes the songs better. you appreciate the performance more, and appreciate the songs more... you look forward to hearing how the audience reacts, because like yourself, you're a passionate fan, and you sing, shout, go crazy and cry to certain U2 songs.

What that first line supposed to mean? :huh:

Ok, I see your argument, but really, if you're at the show I can see the crowd being a factor, but a DVD of a musical performance is about the music itself, not the crowd throwing beachballs and having a gay 'ol time.

How are we supposed to know the crowd at Chicago was not loud? The producers probably mixed the band and songs to 11 over the crowd.

You don't know unless you were there.

Last edited:
Zooropean103 said:
The better audience it, the better band performs.

Exactly ...... not as a offense or somethin like , and not sayin this happens in the whole country , US's audience sometimes I think they kinda don't care how they are "acting" on a show ...... it seems that they are only there for having fun and all ...... What seems to be a very different view of South American or European audiences ........ which goes kinda with my view

My view of a show , doesn't matter if I'm there in the actual place watchin it or watching the dvd , is that the audience have to act like the band , like it was the LNOE :lol: Now serious , if the audience helps , of course the band will feel more inspired to do more , if the audience push the band , the band will answer and push back , it's kinda obvious ...... The more this feedback happens , better concert will happen , Anyone question that ?

Just a few more U2 concerts that exist Pro-Shot footage :drool:

Wertcher 1982
Gateshead 1982
Sidney 1984
Dublin 1985
Belfast 1987
Iwoa City 1987
San Francisco 1987
London 1988
Rotterdam 1990

:ohmy:

The Electric Co. (with no Cry intro), Love And Peace Or Else, Zoo Station, The Fly and the last Vertigo will be the stand outs in my opinion. All work perfectly on a stadium. All I Want Is You into City of Blinding Lights will probably one too. That's a beautiful one.

LemonMacPhisto said:

What that first line supposed to mean? :huh:

Ok, I see your argument, but really, if you're at the show I can see the crowd being a factor, but a DVD of a musical performance is about the music itself, not the crowd throwing beachballs and having a gay 'ol time.

How are we supposed to know the crowd at Chicago was not loud? The producers probably mixed the band and songs to 11 over the crowd.

You don't know unless you were there.

If you just wanted sound and no crowd, then they should release a CD instead.

The Searcher said:

If you just wanted sound and no crowd, then they should release a CD instead.

I want to see stuff like The Edge rock out like the mini-solo from The Electric Co., that's what a pro-shot concert is for, atleast in my opinion.

partygirlvox said:

I'm not saying the fans are bigger. But there is bound to be more of an atmosphere - these are u2's people, and this is dublins band. Wherever u2 go, the dublin gigs will always be the ones to go to. I'm not saying Milan won't rock (because im sure it will) but it will never ever be slane castle.

All I'm saying is is that Slane is not only Irish people, but people from all over the world... hey... that validates your point. Ok, shoot me.
Anyway, I think Slane is great, but the outdoor Elevation show is just not good enough, it's an indoor show and an indoor setlist they're playing. The stage is not that exciting, the set is too short, and except for Out Of Control it's nothing but greatest hits and latest singles.

Vertigo has amazing visuals, much better (and longer) sets, Bono sings better, the band plays better, and they play The Electric Co.

LemonMacPhisto said:

We can't feel the magic unless the crowd does. That's what U2 is. Totally dependant on the crowd. It's the same as when going to a concert. You don't enjoy it as much if the crowd isn't crazy.

That's why Popmart Sarajevo is the greatest bootleg ever, by the way.

The MTV React Now performance of "Love and Peace" was pretty great, and maybe the best version of that song, and it was performed in an empty arena.

So does that mean it's not as good as one with a screaming crowd?

I'll stop coming to this thread trying to beat a dead horse.

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:

I'll stop coming to this thread trying to beat a dead horse.

Exactly how I feel!

And I think that even though the stage may have been quite dull for the elevation tour, it just meant that all the emphasis was on the music.
And I also think that the milan dvd will rock but it wont rock as much as the slane castle gig because the bottom line is - its dublin. It will have some highlights that the slane dvd doesnt have (love and peace or else, COBL..) but slane cannot compare, just as red rocks cant either.

Back
Top Bottom