BeLIEve?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spanisheyes

Forum Moderator, The Goal Is Soul
Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, and Berlin
Copyright 2002 MGN Ltd.
The Mirror
July 31, 2002, Wednesday

BONO'S BACK TO BOWL 'EM OVER; U2 SET TO KICK OFF NFL BASH
Paul Martin
(I clipped off all the parts about U2 and the NFL bash, because of those rumours being squelched yesterday, but here are some other interesting tidbits below from this article...by the way, is The Mirror even a good, legitimate source for U2 news?).

U2 are in also in secret negotiations to play a number of concerts around the world and showcase new material they have been working on. The Dubliners were planning to take a year-long break from the music business in 2003 after their hugely successful Elevation tour. But promoters have approached them to take part in a number of one-off shows. (This doesn't seem unreasonable anymore, since before the last tour, U2 played one-off shows to promote ATYCLB)

But it looks as if this could be the first of many gigs for the band. A source said: "There is a very strong chance we could see U2 back on the stage early next year. They have sold out every major arena over the past year and are hungry for more. There were a few places they didn't perform like Belfast so that could be a consideration for a big concert." (This is a possibility, as well as rumours of U2 taking part in large concerts in Rio, and other parts of the word. Also, if they are excited enough about the new material, it could be a springboard for U2 going out on the road in 2003...just like the old days when they toured closer in proximity between tours, or only took off a year between tours)

U2 rocked Slane last year at the end of their tour but vowed to take a year out to recover from their exhausting schedule. But BONO and the rest of the band have written 10 new songs and want to release them as soon as possible. (It is true that the Elevation tour must have been exhausting, but no more exhausting than say the Popmart tour, but more exhausting emotionally with Bono losing his father, and in the wake of 9/11. However, are 10 new songs enough to get excited about the possibility of a new album being released soon? We know of U2 to write 10 new songs, and only several make it to an actual album...but who cares, 10 new songs is 10 new songs!)

The source added: "Bono is a very busy guy and even when he's not working for U2 he is usually around the world doing something. He's anxious to get back on the stage because they had such great fun last time. They don't want to leave it another three years like they have done on previous tours. At this stage it looks like there will be shows in February or March." (I don't know what to think about this...as much as I would love to see that, I would much rather see U2 spend as much quality time in the studio that they need to make the album that satifies their high standards...but again, U2 touring a year and a half after its last tour is not unreasonable according to U2 history)

Chris

Last edited:
I :hate: rumours

Neh- I think they will take a nice long break from touring! :)

Didn't Bono say in the recent radio interview that he didn't see U2 playing live again for quite a while? I think he said something about their priorities being making a few good albums. I wouldn't be surprised if they pull a Beatles on us.

Back
Top Bottom