Beautiful Day Vs. any track on HTDAAB.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salim117

The Fly
Because of the constant and unavoidable comparisons between HTDAAB & ATYCLB (both being their back to basics albums), I was just thinking... HTDAAB is a fantastic album and better overall than atyclb, BUT I do think that there is not one track on HTDAAB that is at the level of Beautiful Day. BD is a masterpiece track on a very good album while HTDAAB is a masterpiece album with very good songs.
Just a random thought....

Last edited:
Agree. BD is hard to beat. I never got sick of it, and never will. And I think we can add Walk On and Kite. (personally, i would add Stuck In A Moment, too cause it's one of my favourite song, but i know it won't survive here :wink: )
Yeah, i would probably say HTDAAB is a better album, but ATYCLB has more great songs.

Beautiful Day is one of my all time favorite U2 songs, but I think there might be a few on HTDAAB that could match it. I think the tour and hearing the new songs live will say a lot though, but I think Original of the Species and Miracle Drug are the two that could reach the hights that Beautiful Day has for me.

I think there is at least 3 tracks on the new album that match Beautiful Day in quality. I thought ATYCLB was a great album and Bomb is a great album too.

Pretty much the entire HTDAAB album beats Beautiful Day.

BD is absolutely brilliant. However, SYCMIOYO, COBL OOTS & possibly even MD are better IMO. It's that non A-HA influence....

Last time I sat down and ranked my U2 favorites, I put Beautiful Day at #1, and City of Blinding Lights at #3. Vertigo was #8 (love the infectious energy of the song). OOTS and Crumbs were also in the top 25.

So yeah, there's nothing that quite matches Beautiful Day for me, but certainly there are a few songs that are very close.

Axver said:
Pretty much the entire HTDAAB album beats Beautiful Day.

I agree. Actually I would go further and say that I prefer all the tracks on the new album to BD.

Lets see:

1. Vertigo.
2. In some ways they are similiar songs, but if we count album versions I prefer Miracle Drug
3. TIE
4. Love & Piece
5. COBL
6. ABOY
7. Beautiful Day
8. Beautiful Day
9. Beautiful Day
10. Original of The Spiecies
11. TIE

HTDAAB blows away beautiful day :wink:

financeguy said:

I agree. Actually I would go further and say that I prefer all the tracks on the new album to BD.

I'm not knocking HTAAB or anything. Its probably my 2nd or 3rd all-time fav U2 album and I think ALL the songs on that album are between great and fantastic and a couple of weeks ago, when I was listenening to htdaab nonstop, I may have agreed...but after taking a little break (been listening to the Strokes, Aarcade fire, & the Killers:wink: ), I was able to take a step back and , after listening to BD for the first time in a while, realize the grandure and "epic" quality of BD. I do think that songs like OOTS and MD aren't too far behind. We'll see in a year from now, after the tour.

Last edited:
Zooropean103 said:
Lets see:

1. Vertigo.
2. In some ways they are similiar songs, but if we count album versions I prefer Miracle Drug
3. TIE
4. Love & Piece
5. COBL
6. ABOY
7. Beautiful Day
8. Beautiful Day
9. Beautiful Day
10. Original of The Spiecies
11. TIE

HTDAAB blows away beautiful day :wink:

OK. Thats 6 to 3 by your account. Now, come on YAWEH tied with BD? You know that can't be right. 6 to 4. If we took a poll of Vertigo, LPOE or ABOY Vs. BD, bet ya' BD wins all three! So thats 7 to 3, BD on top. COBL, OOTS, & MD are awesome songs so its hard to make a legit objective argument against them. BD just has a little of what makes those 3 great and then some!IMHO.

Needle_Chill said:

I totally disagree. In fact, I'd say BD is the only classic U2 song on both albums.

All of HTDAAB is classic U2 like UF, JT, and AB.

Axver said:

All of HTDAAB is classic U2 like UF, JT, and AB.

Again I disagree. HTDAAB has a bunch of good and really good songs, but I wouldn't call them classics quite yet. I'll wait and see if the tour can bring them to that level, along with more time for the songs to sink in... but as they stand right now, songs like Vertigo, SYCMIOYO, MD, COBL, OOTS, and ABOY are not classics in my book.

I'll give my rundown of HTDAAB compared to Beautiful Day. BD is a classic U2 sound, but not a truly epic song like WOWY or Streets. I often skip it on bootlegs to get to UTEOTW.

1. TIE - Both are attention-grabbing songs and perfect opening singles. Vertigo has a wonderful riff like Desire, but Beautiful Day is jubilant and euphoric.
2. Miracle Drug - This song is simply amazing. Incredible stuff.
3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - Moving and emotionally powerful on so many more levels than Beautiful Day.
4. Love And Peace Or Else - It rocks, it has that sensationally sinister intro, and better lyrics.
5. City Of Blinding Lights - The fifth-best song U2 have ever made behind Streets, Bad, UF, and One Tree Hill. Beautiful Day couldn't dream to equal this.
6. All Because Of You - A love song to The Who. Rock and roll at its finest.
7. TIE - Beautiful Day is classic, AMAAW is U2 trying something they haven't done before with great success.
8. Crumbs From Your Table - Second-best from the Bomb. Definitely the best lyrics on the album. Makes you think a lot more than Beautiful Day.
9. One Step Closer - Thoughtful and atmospheric, a song in the order of RTSS, Heartland, and The First Time.
10. TIE - I find these two to be really similar in overall feeling, even though they are quite different songs.
11. Yahweh - U2 perfect the joyous closing song.

8 to Hut Dab, 3 ties.

Last edited:
I think that Yahweh has a lot of potential. In the begginning it was my least favourite song (with AMAAW, which still is) on the album, but now I'm liking it more and more. In this moment mayby even I like more BD, but Yahweh is still growing on me. After the tour (when you get to know better songs) all can change. So now I gotta do TIE.

the only HTDAAB song i like better than Beautiful Day is Miracle Drug......otherwise BD beats the rest

BD is an awesome song; a U2 classic up there with any other classic U2 tune.

It will also forever be known as U2's true "comeback" song.

Beautiful Day has no equal in contemporary music, try something uplifting by some classical composers to get somewhere near it on universal appeal

Beautiful Day is the most overrated song on this forum.
At least 7 songs on HTDAAB are better than that song. A totally uninspired chorus, weird opening, weird ending. Only thing that saves it is the live version.

djerdap said:
Beautiful Day is the most overrated song on this forum.
At least 7 songs on HTDAAB are better than that song. A totally uninspired chorus, weird opening, weird ending. Only thing that saves it is the live version.

Each to their own:wink:

I like Vertigo, Love and Peace or Else, SYCMIOYO, Original of the Species and Fast Cars (if you can count it) better than Beautiful Day.

I do think BD is better than City of Blinding Lights, Miracle Drug or Yahweh.

1. Vertigo
2. Beautiful Day
3. Sometimes...
4. Love and Peace...
5. City...
6. ABOY
7. Beautiful Day
8. Beautiful Day
9. Beautiful Day
10. Original of the Species
11. Yahweh

I think we need some more time with HTDAAB, and we need to hear the songs consistently live before we come to any conclusions. HTDAAB has only been out a couple of months, no way to really tell where it stands among the other albums. U2 albums need a year and a tour before they truly settle.

is better than the safe and non-inspired oots and cobl.
is better than vertigo, aboy (despite these are good rock songs) and crumbs
is uncomparable to osc, amaaw and sycmoyo
equals lapoe and yaweh
is worse than md

Objectively, when we ("we" meaning music experts, not me and you) look back 25 years from now, the only songs off of HTDAAB that are "better" than Beautiful Day & are "More than just a song" are: maybe SYCMIOYO & perhaps OOTS

I think HTDAAB is a better overall album, but I think ATYCLB has more spectacular songs. Beautiful Day, Stuck in a Moment, Elevation, Walk On and Kite are all some of my top U2 songs. The only top U2 songs from Bomb are IMO OotS and MAYBE ABOY, COBL and Vertigo, though that's really pushing it.

ATYCLB has 5 of my top 10 U2 songs while HTDAAB has 1.

HTDAAB has about 10 of my top 40 U2 songs while ATYCLB has about 6.

Back
Top Bottom