Beat Bullying blue wristbands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was bullied for several years as a child and it really screwed me up. I was told I was ugly, fat, a loser, etc. And no one at school did a damn thing about it. I was considered the problem. This may have been because the popular kids were the bullies and I was this weird chick. To this day, I remember what it was like to pull spit balls out of my hair.

My home life wasn't much better. My family never failed to tell me what a disappointment and hassle I was. I was called fat (when I was a slender size six), a tramp, not good enough to go to college, and I was also told I would never get a job making more than five dollars an hour.

The sad thing is my parents put my sister on a pedestal. My sister could do no wrong and she was encouraged in everything she did. My parents paid for all of her activities and lessons. When I was first struggling on my own, working two jobs, and sometimes eating out of garbage cans, my parents paid for my sister to travel all over Europe. Now that she's a stay at home mom with a wealthy hubby, they spare no expense and drop everything for her. But I can't get my parents to buy me a bag of groceries even though I'm a struggling student.

Even though I've done exceptionally well in college, my parents don't seem to care. Last Xmas my dad spent a long time telling me how fat I am and my mom seems miffed at my success. Maybe she's pissed because she didn't do a damn thing with her college education.

Okay, I've rambled enough. I'll leave you with this quote:

"I learned that it is the weak who are cruel, and that gentleness is to be expected only from the strong."
Leo Rosten

Golightly Grrl - The older I get, the more it seems that some people just aren't cut out to be parents. People never stop developing, emotionally, and a lot of the moms and dads running around out there procreating aren't any more mature than their kids. I've known a lot of people with parents that transferred all kinds of psychological shit onto their kids because they hadn't dealt with their own issues. Luckily, most of them developed a strong sense of self, as they got older, which helped them deal with that. Out of curiosity, what are you studying?

Shade said:

(Incidentally - I noticed the majority of the former bullies making the rounds are now in law enforcement. Surprised?)

Actually it's a bit scary to me! I certainly don't mean to imply that all people in law enforcement are bullies, but I am a bit squeamish about people with a tendency to lord their power over others (even in childhood) being in law enforcement.

indra said:

Actually it's a bit scary to me! I certainly don't mean to imply that all people in law enforcement are bullies, but I am a bit squeamish about people with a tendency to lord their power over others (even in childhood) being in law enforcement.

Anybody in a uniform scares me, these days. But, if it makes you feel better, those guys at my reunion seemed like they were okay. If they were still bullies, they probably wouldn't have been on the apology circuit.

Back
Top Bottom