beach clip 409 IS a strokes song - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2006, 12:38 AM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LyricalDrug
U2 are on record as being big Strokes fans (and who isn't?)
Good catch - I found this snippet:

Quote:
Not only were there countless other outfits attempting to hitch a ride upon the collective’s coattail, but veteran act U2 took full advantage of The Strokes’ successful, no-frills style in order to return to its roots on How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. While this is about as flattering a position in which an up-and-coming group could possibly hope to find itself, it’s also one that poses its own set of challenges. In essence, The Strokes needed to alter its approach or risk fading into the backdrop as a one-trick pony.
http://www.musicbox-online.com/st-first.html

Old 07-27-2006, 12:47 AM   #107
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:52 AM
Of all of the newer bands out there, The Strokes are most definitely on my Top 10 List

So it's cool to see U2 dig them as much as I do.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:10 AM   #108
Refugee

Local Time: 02:52 AM
I go away for a few hours and this is what I come back to?

Oh well, I didn't like 409 anyway.

Let's hope "All My Life" (404) is really them.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:32 AM   #109
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:52 PM
AtomicBono raises a couple of points I too noticed. 409 just does not seem to perfectly match up with the Strokes clip (I think 409 has some different lines), and the voice just does not sound the same as in the Strokes clip. I personally saw no reason to doubt that parts were Bono.

Also, even if this was just something Bono was cranking on his stereo and has no other U2 connection at all, I don't see why we should automatically assume everything else isn't U2 either. I don't see how one not being U2 means the others can't be either. There are so many possible explanations here.

And Thank You isn't quite a Lanois cover. I believe someone posted that Lanois stated live that it was a song he wrote with Bono. It's just Lanois got around to playing it first. U2 could still use and release it; just look at North And South Of The River, which Bono and Edge wrote with Christy Moore. Moore released a version before U2, but U2 still put out their own one. So I think we can validate that one as being U2. Now, how about 400, 402, and 404? I still see no reason to doubt that they are indeed U2.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-27-2006, 01:38 AM   #110
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:52 AM
thats the strokes!!

its a fucking strokes song hashahahah you all got fooled thinking u2 were doing something new hahahaha!!
Old 07-27-2006, 01:39 AM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:52 AM
It's not "Bono cranking his stereo," Axver, because then we would have heard Albert Hammond's voice from the original.

This is U2, covering the Strokes, for fun
Old 07-27-2006, 01:48 AM   #112
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
AtomicBono raises a couple of points I too noticed. 409 just does not seem to perfectly match up with the Strokes clip (I think 409 has some different lines), and the voice just does not sound the same as in the Strokes clip. I personally saw no reason to doubt that parts were Bono.
What I gathered from a quick perusal of the Strokes message board:

- It is a Strokes song that has never been formally released.

- It is Bono singing.

- He is singing in some parts 'extended' lyrics to those on the known Strokes version of the song, along with the same lyrics that are on the known Strokes version of the song.

- Guesswork that perhaps the extra lyrics are from a newer Strokes version of the song yet to be heard by the public, but in Bono's possession.

- No guesses on whether the backing music is U2 or the Strokes.

The plot thickens.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:59 AM   #113
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Also, even if this was just something Bono was cranking on his stereo and has no other U2 connection at all, I don't see why we should automatically assume everything else isn't U2 either. I don't see how one not being U2 means the others can't be either. There are so many possible explanations here.

And Thank You isn't quite a Lanois cover. I believe someone posted that Lanois stated live that it was a song he wrote with Bono. It's just Lanois got around to playing it first. U2 could still use and release it; just look at North And South Of The River, which Bono and Edge wrote with Christy Moore. Moore released a version before U2, but U2 still put out their own one. So I think we can validate that one as being U2. Now, how about 400, 402, and 404? I still see no reason to doubt that they are indeed U2.
good post, I agree with all of it

there's no way the others aren't U2...especially 402 and 404 which have some obviously trademark Edge guitar, and Bono's voice is undeniable, especially in 404. it makes sense for 409 to not be U2 because it was the most different. the other songs more or less sound like a natural progression from HTDAAB.

and yeah, I'm pretty sure it was mentioned somewhere that Bono and Lanois co-wrote the song.

perhaps the deal with 409 is that it is in fact a Strokes and U2 collaboration? or maybe they wanted Bono to sing it at least? seems weird that Bono would know the lyrics to an entire song that's unreleased and be able to sing it spot-on when he can't even remember his own lyrics I think something else is going on here...I could be wrong though
Old 07-27-2006, 02:00 AM   #114
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:52 PM
Wow, talk about confusing in any case.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-27-2006, 02:03 AM   #115
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers

What I gathered from a quick perusal of the Strokes message board:

- It is a Strokes song that has never been formally released.

- It is Bono singing.

- He is singing in some parts 'extended' lyrics to those on the known Strokes version of the song, along with the same lyrics that are on the known Strokes version of the song.

- Guesswork that perhaps the extra lyrics are from a newer Strokes version of the song yet to be heard by the public, but in Bono's possession.

- No guesses on whether the backing music is U2 or the Strokes.

The plot thickens.
Extra lyrics and uncertainty of who provided the backing music. Weird. Maybe it wasn't just U2 playing over a Strokes song. The theory of a possible U2/ Strokes colaboration could start gaining wait. Maybe The Strokes wanted more from the song and enlisted U2 to colaborate? Hmmm. Don't go to far from your computers the next few days.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:16 AM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

Extra lyrics and uncertainty of who provided the backing music.
I wouldn't make such big jumps. It being unreleased, being a Hammond Jnr song (tipped to be releasing a solo album), and all I'd suggest there's plenty of room there for there to be a newer version by Hammond Jnr and/or the Strokes with extra lyrics and a different musical bed that even Strokes diehards have never heard, but someone like Bono could have been handed by any number of people.

My other thought is (as someone who knows jack all about the Strokes), is it Julian Whatshisname singing the original, or Hammond? And if it's considered a Hammond song tipped to be on a Hammond solo album, has he sung anything before? Do people know his voice? Could Bono just be playing a Hammond Jnr solo album and his voice sounds closer to Bono's than Julian whatshisnames?
Old 07-27-2006, 02:19 AM   #117
ONE
love, blood, life

edit: okay, I was partially wrong, people on youtube THINK Albert sings it
Old 07-27-2006, 02:21 AM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Throw that theory out then.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:24 AM   #119
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
Throw that theory out then.
well, you could be onto something, I'm not a huge Strokes fan but I do like them, and the clip on youtube does sound like it could have been sung by Julian who I believe is the one that sings most of their songs

no one seems to know for sure

I'm going to bed, hope this is all sorted out when I wake up tomorrow afternoon
Old 07-27-2006, 02:26 AM   #120
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:52 AM
Best. Thread. Ever.

SO much fun when everyone pitches in and does detective work on U2 songs. Way better than "what is wrong with Bono's hair" threads!