Be Honest, Who Wishes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gherman

New Yorker
...U2 would retire.

Many people here just hate or dislike the "new" U2. Do you just wish they would retire so they don't make an album worse that HTDAAB?

I personally love ATYCLB and HTDAAB and want more music but I feel many people wish they would stop recording. Who here feels this way?

I hope they will retire...but not anytime soon. Maybe in 10 years or so, I have no desire to see them continuing to tour like the Rolling Stones, but I think they still have a lot of years in them.

I don't want U2 to retire. I want them to keep playing great concerts and to return to making great music. I suspect the vast majority of people who dislike the recent material would agree with me.

And hey, if U2 keep making music I'm not so keen on, and if their concerts go completely down the tubes, what do I care? I still get much enjoyment from their earlier work and I can go to concerts by other bands. I only wish that U2 retire when they feel like retiring. I don't have to follow them right up until the end. I would like them to keep making music and playing concerts that I enjoy right through to the end, but if they don't, at least someone else will enjoy it.

That's the most sensible thing I've heard all day.

Clearly, you do not belong on this forum.

:wink:

Well, they haven't started making music that, to me, sucks.. So I see no reason for them to retire.

Plus, I am excited about them working with Eno and Lanois again and I am also excited about what will come out of the "beach clips" because I really thought those songs had potential.

They're entering the twilight of their careers and it could give us some interesting "grown up" music.

People really need to let go of the past.

I am with Axver. I want them to retire when they want to retire. Beyond that, I gain too much pleasure from their albums and tours to wish retirement on them. HTDAAB might not be as good as other albums, but, I still like it and I still get a thrill when listening to new U2 for the first time...and while the results are not quite as spectacular as when I first listened to JT or AB, I still like what I hear, and that's good enough for me.

There is absolutely no reason for them to retire completely until they are physically unable to pull it off. There's no reason - health and bodies permitting - they can't go for at least another 20 years. That wouldn't mean becoming the Rolling Stones either. Just keep moving the music forward (please!) and also not try and be something they're not. Don't rest on the past, and don't be afraid to leave the past behind. It sounds like the basic career plan for everything U2 has done, but it will become harder and harder for them to actually do as they get older for a variety of reasons. I, personally, have no beef with the idea that U2 'retire' the stadium packing biggest band in the world in a decade and then spend the 20 years after that just recording and releasing really unbelievable music, playing it live every now and then in the appropriate setting, just basically being awesome and heading off into the sunset with the maximum respect. Bono at age 55 trying to jump around to Vertigo on a stage set that is simply big just for the sake of being big, having just released HTDAAB III, loaded with generic stadium anthems and heartstring pulling ballads... not interested. They're going to have to make that shift, and if they can do it, then they should run with it until they simply physically can't anymore. I think they'll be at their best then, when no-one expects them to be !!U2!!

Axver said:
I don't want U2 to retire. I want them to keep playing great concerts and to return to making great music. I suspect the vast majority of people who dislike the recent material would agree with me.

And hey, if U2 keep making music I'm not so keen on, and if their concerts go completely down the tubes, what do I care? I still get much enjoyment from their earlier work and I can go to concerts by other bands. I only wish that U2 retire when they feel like retiring. I don't have to follow them right up until the end. I would like them to keep making music and playing concerts that I enjoy right through to the end, but if they don't, at least someone else will enjoy it.

i actually completely agree with you

HTDAAB is not their worse album...quite the contrary. I doubt you'll find one album where you'll get 95% of the people to agree it's their best...

I doubt U2 will officially retire...I hope they never do...:no:

Axver said:

100& agreed, Axver. That's all – and: When they decide to retire, it is their decision. My wish would be, U2 will stay together, play for the next decades – and prove, you necessarily don' have to become a "Greatest Hits Machine" like The Rolling Stones. But they still want to record beautiful albums, that they still want to tour or play concerts - not only to make money.

Last edited:
When Bono remember all his lyrics, when Larry start to like the Passanger album, when Edge need to be in the news and when Adam has his own bass tour it is time for a retire :)

Retire right now ? No, I'm curious what music they can do in their 50s with all the experience they have, and once the current "singles collection" and the usual "BIG album" pressure stops.

But I do think we won't be seeing U2 playing in their 60s. I don't see them playing on and on like some bands (Stones, Aerosmith...), if for nothing else health reasons and Bono's campaigning will be pressuring the band.

kingofsorrow said:
i would take a bad U2 album over a good radioshack...........................i mean Radiohead album anyday.

Win. :up:

I'm with Axver 100%
Although I'm not a huge fan of their last two albums, they're still better than most other albums released this decade.
I feel that U2 have at least one more GREAT album left in them and the news of them writing with Eno and Lanois has got me really hoping that the next one will be that GREAT record.

u2. retire.
stick a knife through my :censored: heart :tsk:

i think they will evolve again into something else. im really excited to see what they come up with next. i know they wont go on forever, hope to see another 10 years out of them though.

U2 won't "retire", but rather, they will convert to pure energy where they will become part of the force, the energy field that surrounds us, penetrates us, and brings the galazy together. they'll be able to read minds and still communicate with people. in short, they will become more powerful than we can possibly imagine.

Back
Top Bottom