Be honest, ATYCLB is not a "great" U2 album and the new U2 album needs to be better

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that ATYCLB was decent. It wasn't bad, and it wasn't great. ATYCLB had some great songs, some mediocre songs, and some weak ones as well. I agree with some people, that publically it rates as a 'great'. In my college paper, I only gave it a B- when I reviewed it. Of course we all have our own opinions, but I think, in groups, their albums go like this (and this is personal opinion mind you) -

GREAT : Achtung Baby

NEAR GREAT : Unforgettable Fire, Pop

GOOD : Zooropa, War, Passengers (I know, it shouldn't count, but still)

AVERAGE: Boy, October, All That You Can't Leave Behind, The Joshua Tree

BELOW AVERAGE : None

POOR : None

FAILURE : None

But of course, I am biased and don't think anything U2 has released is below average or lower. However, I know some of you will think I am ludricous for putting Joshua Tree so low. I like all of the songs on there, but in my opinion, it doesn't measure up to UF, Pop and AB. I'm odd like that. Sue me.

people's main problem with ATYCLB still seems to be that the band took a different approach to their music then they did in the 90's

the strange thing is that some people who liked U2's work in the 80's but don't like what they did in the 90's are regarded as freaks by some for basicallt that same reason

ah well

I guess the 'dream out loud' and 'reinvent yourself' bits
only counts when it's the sort of reinvention people have come to expect

i have to say that ATYCLB suxs big time for me.
its the worst album ive ever heard!it just makes you want to go to sleep!

but the cd does make good coffee coasters! and this new 50sec clip does not sound good so........... ya things are not looking good for the new album... if things go like this u2 should just stop.

oh i love the DARKNESS saw them twice(i was right infront and even touched justin. love the darkness:drool:

so ya VR the darkness and most classic 80 rock.

Salome said:
people's main problem with ATYCLB still seems to be that the band took a different approach to their music then they did in the 90's

the strange thing is that some people who liked U2's work in the 80's but don't like what they did in the 90's are regarded as freaks by some for basicallt that same reason

ah well

I guess the 'dream out loud' and 'reinvent yourself' bits
only counts when it's the sort of reinvention people have come to expect
I love your posts Salome

you do make a good point now & again :up:

it wasn't a 'daring album' it was a 'safe album'.'rock'n'roll should challenge people' - taht's Edge's words. this album is opposite to that.the only song that is really great is 'kite'.one of the best ever.

shaun vox said:
if things go like this u2 should just stop.

Here's a thought: why don't the ATYCLB complainers stop or leave this forum if they don't like U2 anymore?

Last edited:
Rafiennes said:

I think they know they have the tally of their fan base up again (which was not meant to sound as sexual as that was typed)

Good God people, six pages into this thread and not one comment about one of my best lines to date? I am saddened...:eyebrow:

U2girl said:

Here's a thought: why don't the ATYCLB complainers stop or leave this forum if they don't like U2 anymore?

that sometimes I wonder, and agree, but isn't possible control what the people write in a forum

It'a a great album, beautiful day is an all time classic song, bettered by few.

the only songs whcih irritate me are bono's voice in in a little while, stuck in a moment, and occasioanlly grace.

1. beautiful day - 10/10
2. stuck in a moment 7.7/10
3. elevation 8.7/10
4. walk on 9.7/10
5. kite 9.2/10
6. in a little while 7.8/10
7. wild honey 9.2/10
8. peace on earth 8.4/10
9. when i look at the world 9.3/10
10. new york 9.1/10
11. grace 7.9/10
12 ground beneath her feet 9/10

it might be no boy or achtung baby, but its got a few classics and a great set of lyrical prowess

ya we all like it because we are fans ...go out and ask if they know what ATYCLB is .......no one will have a clue!
new york is a very bad song.(if thats even a song)
when i look at the world is like a snalie trying to run.
peace on earth(not good)
elevation(worst song ever)

BD, stuck, kite are the only songs that are good.
in a little while is nice . and walk on is only good for a listen..
so ya a very week album. but its just my taste i dont like this side of u2. very pop and uncool un rockNroll kind of album. which i havent played for 8 or so months. if it were some one els they would start hating u2 but not me im giving them a chance.
if this new album is pop or atyclb2 then im out of here.
but its for their own good to stop this we like pop music crap. and start loving the hard shit:wink:

Ok, I'll come out of lurking to put in my two cents after reading the six pages of discussion...

Ok, ATYCLB was much anticipated, like all recent U2 releases, but it was a little bit of a letdown for some; I think we can agree to that. It wasn't a bad album, just not as spectacular as we were hoping.

My favorites on the album were Beautiful Day, New York, and Kite. I really love New York; I have to get a live version sometime. The rest are ok to listen to...but I like stuff with a lot of energy. You can guess I really liked Pop.

I'm hoping for some "real rock n' roll " on the new album. But I'm not going to get my hopes up too high. I just hope Bono's voice will hold out!

I appreciate your opinions and your supporting points. I personally liked the album 'cause lyrically it made sense since I was going through a tough time and I can appreciate it more on that personal leval. :)

Elevation is perhaps the lamest U2 song of all time, considering they should know better than to write something so awful at this point in their careers.

However, the rest is quite good. All That You Can't Leave Behind is probably my third favourite album, and songs like Beautiful Day, In a Little While, and Kite are reasons why. :up:

U2Kitten said:
I don't either. It was never called that, a few people on message boards or mailing lists might have said that, but the band or its promotion never said that. It's NOTHING like JT. I don't know where that came from :scratch: [/B]

Can I please defend myself here?

I guess I am possibly wrong to say it was billed as JT part 2 but in quite a few ways I am right.

I remember when the album was being promoted someone (it might have been Eno) said it was the sound of U2 making music like they did in the mid-80s?

That implies that the album was going to sound somewhere between UF and The Joshua Tree. So yes that could be taken as meaning the Joshua Tree Part II but as we all know The Joshua Tree was a rock album and ATYCLB is a pop album with a bit of soul.

Also in 1998 when ATYCLB was having early production and it had the early title, "Love Your Old Stuff," Bono talked in a music magazine (it might have been Vox) that Edge was "in love with his guitar again."

All those things could be taken, especially the former, as meaning The Joshua Tree Part II.

So please take back your criticism of me on that score as I feel I have made some valid points otherwise I will be quite:mad: :mad: .

Regarding ATYLCB, here's my final 2 cents - it's a good album with good songs but it's not the great U2 album with great songs that we were expecting with songs to rival One, Bad, Streets, WOWY etc.

So yes it is a disappointment. Also as well as great songs - I was hoping for a direct rock album with The Edge's guitar skills taking centre stage like it did on JT and AB.

Edge's guitar on ATYCLB is a disappointingly restrained with only a few riffs and simple solos. It is mainly chord formations. The Edge can do better than that!!!

The new album has been billed as a direct rock album with the Edge's guitar taking a particular focus so hopefully it won't let me down.

Plus I really liked Electrical Storm and Hands... and thought they were better than most of ATYCLB so hopefully they will also be a sign that the new album will be up there with War, UF, JT, AB, Zooropa and Pop.

But as Edge says on Numb - "Don't hope for too much."

I think that ATYCLB, like UF and AB is one of U2's albums that you can't really compare to anything else they've done.

Sure it has hints on their past musically (BD "touch me" riff, New York, Elevation, WILATW guitar) but lyrically it's different. It's not the anthemic style of the 80's but it's not the introspect, personal style of the 90's either.

I am sure history will vindicate it.

The only U2 album that ever let me down was "The Joshua Tree". Yes, I was thrilled that U2 were successful, but, IMO, that was the closest they came to the horrid "selling out". They seemed to cash in on their image of "holy rollers" at the time. And songs like "With or Without You", while a classic now, seemed ridiculously simplistic. Sometimes there is an elegance in simplicity - and indeed this holds true for "With or Without You" - but by no means is it an outstanding song when compared to U2's overall catalog.

My point is that ATYCLB had some brilliant moments. Was it U2's best? That's far too subjective for anyone to claim. But I felt it was a lot better than albums like JT, "Zooropa", R&H and "Pop" (not to mention "October" and WAIA).

Back
Top Bottom