BBITW: U2 vs. The Rolling Stones - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2002, 01:09 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:05 PM
It should be mentioned that U2 and the POPMART tour have the highest paying attendance for a single show by a single artist! U2s show on the POPMART tour in Reggio Emilia Italy was a soldout performance to 150,000 Italians in 1997, the largest attendance for one artist ever in history! The Rolling Stones cancelled their only show in Italy on their last tour partly due to poor ticket sales.

While the Rolling Stones have the highest figures worldwide overall, there are many places where U2s concert figures are higher than the Stones. Here are the Countries where U2 beats the Stones in Concert Stats:

United Kingdom
Ireland
Spain
Portugal
Italy
Austria
Mexico
Brazil
Argentina
Chile
South Africa
Greece
Bosnia
Israel

Here is where the Stones and U2 are tied:

Switzerland
Hungery
Czech Rep.
Poland
Australia
Canada
Finland

Here is where the Stones beat U2 in concert performance:

United States
Japan
Germany
France
Belgium
Netherlands
Denmark
Norway
Sweden

Remember U2 on average beats the Stones in album sales by more than 4 to 1 in ALL the above countries.

Old 05-09-2002, 01:13 PM   #47
Refugee

My only comments here are that I've never been a fan of the Stones, and I love Zeppelin but probably prefer U2 overall...but I seriously doubt that U2 will ever be considered more important, or even as important, as those two bands. They haven't been as influential and I don't think they ever will be.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

------------------
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out

Old 05-09-2002, 01:20 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

A few other things, The Stones are the only band I can think of that sales half as many albums as they due concert tickets. Bottom line, most people at a Stones show do not even own the new album! Everyone(with a few exceptions) owns the new album at a U2 show, and there are nearly twice as many people with the new album that do not go or do not get to see U2 in concert.

While the Stones CONCERT figures overall in the USA are higher than U2s, they are still two cities in the USA that U2 owns over the Stones! Madison Wisconsin and BOSTON MA!
Old 05-09-2002, 01:29 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

More influential does not neccessarily mean more important. If U2 continue for another 20 years, I do think they definitely have a shot at passing the Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin. U2 has done a multitude of things that Led ZEP and the Stones never did. Think about what the average person born today will think of this question in 20 years. Especialy since they might still get to see U2 in concert.
Old 05-09-2002, 01:43 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MBH:
Where did you here that info. regarding the club shows? How do you get those seats? Fanclub? I assume that the general public cannot purchase tix to the clubs? That sucks...so much for the "gift."
The info is on the ticketmaster purchase page , amongs other places. The General public can buy the theater tickets, though I suspect it will be a madhouse trying to get through. There are presales for which you have to join samgoody.com's getAccess club ($60), but from my experience with the Boston Orpheum pre-sale yesterday its a waste of time and money, samgoody/clear channel's server couldn't handle the traffic. The public onsale for Roseland (the one i assume you are interested in) is Monday 5-13 at 10AM.(correction, 9 AM)

[This message has been edited by Hewson (edited 05-10-2002).]
Old 05-09-2002, 04:20 PM   #51
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:05 AM
Personally I think Mick & Keef are still cool and the most recent Stones' albums aren't too bad. I think the Stones suffer from something they (the higher powers) describe as trying to exist in a generation that they created. The Stones mapped out a path that hundreds of bands have followed and therefore millions of fans. I am hoping to get some tickets for Chicago.

I also think it is cool how they're performing in small venues, large stadiums, and theatres. I've also heard they might do some shows at clubs unannounced. House of Blues beware

As for the big ol' question about U2 and the Stones... Stones are bigger. They always will be. U2 is one of the great rock bands, but The Stones is one of the great rock n' roll bands. Who needs the Beatles when you got the Rolling Stones?

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits
Old 05-09-2002, 04:35 PM   #52
The Fly

According to the Guinness Book of Records, Paul McCartney holds the record for largest attendance at a single show, with the number being 189,000 at the Maracana-stadium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (this might also give the answer to MBH's question about the biggest stadium in the world).
Old 05-09-2002, 05:21 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

The Guinness Book of World records is incorrect on that point. That stadium in Rio saw its largest paying attendance by a single act by Frank Sinitra back in 1980 with 140,000 people. I'm not saying that Paul McCartney did not play there, the key question is did anyone open up for him, and was the concert free. If any of those things are true then that does not count in regards to this record. The Key here is paying audiance for a show by a single artist.

Follower might know how much that stadium holds since she is from there. Realize though that 1/3 to 1/2 of all seats in a stadium show are not used. To the best of my knowledge the stadium hold 180,000 for a soccer game. At least 1/3 of the seats are blocked out because of the stage though. If general admission is used on the field up to 30,000 can fit. So the max capicity of the Stadium is about 150,000 and most likely less. Frank Sinitra played there in 1980 to a paying audiance of 140,000.

I'd suggest a publication like Amusement Business which has been tracking the concert industry for 25 years now giving exact statistics as far as GROSS, Ticket Price, Attendance to all shows played in major venues through out the world. Billboard magazine published every week, is a music business magazine used by the whole industry and tracks album and single sales as well as airplay worldwide. Billboard magazine uses concert statistics from Amusement Business with their permission. I have found the Guinness Book of world records to be inaccurate on many of its facts especially ones that pertain to the music business.

But if you have info for this RIO show, was Paul McCartney the only artist on the bill? , What were the various ticket prices if the show was not free, what was the GROSS revenue if the show was a paying show, and a percise total as far as attendance. It should also list the promotor if necessary.

Both Amusement Business Magazine, and Billboard Magazine stated in 1997 that U2s POPMART performance at Reggio Emilia was the largest single paying concert for one artist on the bill in history.

By the way, U2 played a massive field for the record, sort of like the field around Slane this past year. There are pictures on the internet somewhere of arial shots of the crowd gathering on the field area before nightfall. Its massive!

I also have a dear friend from Italy who was at the show in Reggio Emilia. It was already known that this was going to be the biggest show ever by one artist worldwide. She says though that it could have been bigger because the limited tickets to the fenced in field guarded by security to 150,000. She thinks U2 could have played to well over 200,000 easy, but Italian security and government she thinks would not allow it.
Old 05-09-2002, 05:37 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Reggio Emilia September 20, 1997 Festival Site GROSS: $5,294,117 ATTENDANCE: 150,000

Those are the stats for the largest paying audiance at a single show by one artist. It was U2 on their POPMART tour in 1997. The statistics come from Amusement Business which has tracked the concert industry for 25 years worldwide. The show took place on an often used festival site, but U2 were the only band on the bill that day.
Old 05-09-2002, 05:47 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

MBH,
Nearly 70% of all albums sold in the world are sold outside the USA! ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND has sold about 11 million copies world wide so far. 4 million in the USA, 4 million in Europe, 500,000 in Canada and 2.5 million from other parts of the Globe.

Creeds third album has sold 5.9 million albums worldwide. 5 million in the USA, 900,000 copies outside the USA mainly from Canada and Australia. Its true that the 5 million figure in the USA might be closer to 6 million which would put the global total at 6.9 million, but from watching its sales it has not gotten much father beyond 5 million in the USA. The album has dropped out of the top 40 in the market that accounts for over 85% of its sales. Not a good sign for continued sales performance. Creed has also struggle a little filling arena's at low ticket prices and usually only has one show per market with no attempt to sell rear view seats. But who knows what the future has in store.
Old 05-09-2002, 06:32 PM   #56
The Fly

Sting,

The Guinness-book doesn't provide any additional info, just that Macca holds the record as the artist with the biggest ticket-buying attendance during one show.

As for the capacity of the stadium - I know for a fact that the Maracana stadium had an attendance of over 200,000 during a soccer-worldcup some decades ago (this was probably before seats became mandatory).
I think the key-question here is, whether the stadium had seats in 1990 when McCartney held the gig, or not?
Old 05-09-2002, 07:15 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Not that the guinness book does not ever report accurate info, but I'd be more likely to trust a publication that specializes on this part of the music business which is what Amusement Business does, rather than a book that has various facts and figures on unrelated topics.

In addition the fact of the U2 show was widely reported on the radio here in the USA and I have seen other evidence on the web, in addition to my Italian friend who was at the show.

Which volume of the Guinness Records was it? This is the first I have heard of this so I remain skeptical, especially in light of my info.
Old 05-10-2002, 02:06 AM   #58
Acrobat

Regarding the "Biggest Bands of All-Time," when it comes to critics lists only The Beatles and The Stones are consistently rated above U2, with The Who, Led Zeppelin, and a few others in the mix as well. If U2's next album is really good, if its a hit with the masses like ATYCLB, then frankly there's probably a better argument for U2 as "Best Band Ever" than ANYONE (including those beloved Beatles). But that's not really what I wanted to bring up.

Give it 10 or 15 years. Right now most of the people in power when it comes to music mags and what not, they grew up on those aforementioned bands in the 60's and 70's. In 10 or 15 years that will shift to the children of the 80's and early 90's and likely push U2 up in those subjective lists.

And 15 years after that--25 years from now--we can look forward to Creed taking the torch in such discussions. ;-)
Old 05-10-2002, 02:08 AM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Hewson,
I actually do not thing the Stones could have gone higher in the Stadiums. Before this tour, the highest average ticket price in a stadium was just a little under 60 dollars. Remember on the Stones last tour, there were two ticket prices. One was 60 dollars for about 45,000 people and then tiny portion at the very back of the stadium, about 5,000 got in for 39.50.

It looks like now, that most tickets for this tour will be the 90 dollar ones, with about 5,000 in the nosebleeds for 50 bucks. I have seen reports that the average price in the 11 Stadium shows booked so far is 85 dollars. Thats nearly a 50% increase over 5 years ago, and I do not think the Stones could go any higher if they have any plans of doing multiple stadium shows in the same cities.

Remember that what U2 would charge in a stadium is less than what they would charge in an arena because there are more seats to fill. I expect the number of 350 dollar tickets to go up in the Arena's for the Stones. On the Stones last tour, average price was about 60 dollars in the stadium, but 100 dollars in the arena. We know the average price in the Stadiums for this tour is 85 dollars(the most ever for a stadium show by a 50% margin). I predict the average price in this tours Arena shows will be 150 dollars. But maybe the Arena's will turn out to be a gift is well. The stadiums ticket prices though are certainly not a gift, but thats ok because I think artist should charge their market value.
Old 05-10-2002, 02:21 AM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Creed is not even close to competing for any of these titles. Most people outside the United States do not even know who Creed is! Remember this is a question on a global scale with the opinions of Italians, Brazilians, Spanish, Irish, British, and others just as important as Americans.

Even in the USA where Creed is known, critics comments about the band are at best mixed. Compare that with U2 already in 1983 when critics were trying to get in bed with them.
Creed seems to have peaked with their second album as their third has not done as well. Their still really not very well known outside the USA and its at this point in the USA after having peaked, their popularity(several Creed arena shows did not sellout at only 40 dollar a ticket.) and critical approval in the USA are still mixed.