Bashing Stupid Bashers of U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LJT

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Ok what are some of the stupidest criticisms of U2, everyone here has ever heard?

Here are some of my favourites:

'U2's lyrics mean nothing'- This is just idiotic as i am pretty sure Bono has not wrote lyrics yet that mean absolutely nothing.....

'City of Blinding Lights, oh another world peace song'-:rolleyes:

'All their songs sound the same'-We all can at least agree that people who say this are talking out of their arses'

'U2s fifteen minutes of fame are up'- someone said this in response to the whole Lola Cashman thing....if nearly 30 years on top is fifteen minutes of fame, i want it:wink:

With regards to people who like ATYCLB and HTDAAB: "Blind sheep."

That's probably the stupidest.

Axver said:
With regards to people who like ATYCLB and HTDAAB: "Blind sheep."

That's probably the stupidest.

yes. those people suck worse than Creed.

My favorite is...

Edge has been playing and recycling the same guitar riff since the beginning. :rolleyes:

He didn't start recycling until 2000 :wink: :reject:

Oh I heard a great one yesterday (in the newspaper, no less):

'facile lyrics and lumpen rock melodies' - and this was incorporating basically everything they've ever done.

chickadee said:
Oh I heard a great one yesterday (in the newspaper, no less):

'facile lyrics and lumpen rock melodies' - and this was incorporating basically everything they've ever done.

I bet you the newspaper loves Coldplay:wink:

Another thing that bugs me from some U2 haters is that their own favourite band if one of the following: Radiohead/Coldplay/Travis/The Killers/Rage Against the Machine/Audioslave (the last two because Morello is a massive Edge fan)

Well all these bands have taken influence and inspiration from U2, so i do not understand how they can hate U2..i am not saying they should like them, but respect for U2s music would be nice...

Yeah, I think that not liking the music is fair enough (though it is beyond me, lol) but to deny their talent is just silly. There was a recent debate elsewhere about how good a guitarist Edge is and some people just slagged him off because he uses effects. I mean, sure he does and he likes using them, but that doesn't mean he can't play the blinkin' thing without them.

chickadee said:
Yeah, I think that not liking the music is fair enough (though it is beyond me, lol) but to deny their talent is just silly. There was a recent debate elsewhere about how good a guitarist Edge is and some people just slagged him off because he uses effects. I mean, sure he does and he likes using them, but that doesn't mean he can't play the blinkin' thing without them.

Also so many other bands are big fans of U2....I believe Eddie Vedder has not missed a U2 tour since ZooTV...Billy Corgan i believe likes U2..of course REM love U2 too....Bob Dylan i will presume respects U2, as i believe so does Pete Townshend......

So why do U2 get so little respect:huh:

And to anyone who thinks Edge is a crap guitarist, you need to hear The Fly...Satriani said of With or Without you that it was the simplest yet most beautiful thing he had ever heard on guitar...

...and i am pretty sure Morello and the likes of Matt Bellamy (who has something like 20 effects built in on his guitar) all use effects and what not a tad more than Edge does...

heh, the WOWY thing reminds of another comment, that it was 'sentimental drivel' - even though it's so far from that it's unbelievable.

chickadee said:
heh, the WOWY thing reminds of another comment, that it was 'sentimental drivel' - even though it's so far from that it's unbelievable.

You wouldn't have seen that comment on the BBCs teletext thing by any chance?:wink:

Who cares? Give the disrespecters a hearty "eat me" and revel in the knowledge U2 are an amazing band, and those that don't think so, are really missing out.

Even though I'm not a huge fan of The Fly, you can't deny the fact that the guitar in it KICKS ASS. In fact, go and listen to the guitar on all of Achtung Baby.

COBL_04 said:
Even though I'm not a huge fan of The Fly, you can't deny the fact that the guitar in it KICKS ASS. In fact, go and listen to the guitar on all of Achtung Baby.

have you heard The Fly from Boston on the DVD?:drool: :drool:

COBL_04 said:
No I haven't actually. I got the Slane DVD over the Elevation tour. I've just never been able to get my head round the album version.

I could e-mail you it?

Hey, COBL_04, do you use AIM? If so, I could send you some other U2 stuff you don't have.

MacPhistoPT said:
Edge can't solo.

U2 are sellouts.

U2 don't rock anymore.

U2 should have finished in 1997.

Only gays like U2.

where did you here the 'only gays like u2' line? that is a tad out of whack:huh:

I use MSN messenger. This may sound weird, but please don't send me anything I haven't heard, unless it's not an album (eg Street Mission, mercy, smile). It sounds strange I know, but I want to discover U2 properly, album-by-album, like you guys got the chance to. Feel free to send me anything that is not on the following -
Boy, October, War, The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, Zooropa or Pop.
Sorry for any inconveince. Axver my email is thefonz_29@hotmail.com

Does anyone have Fast Cars? :wink:

Thanks JLT! It's downloading now. 14% there...

I'd be up for the Boston Fly in MP3 form if anyone's offering, I can't find my Boston DVD anywhere!!! :ohmy:

COBL_04 said:
I use MSN messenger. This may sound weird, but please don't send me anything I haven't heard, unless it's not an album (eg Street Mission, mercy, smile). It sounds strange I know, but I want to discover U2 properly, album-by-album, like you guys got the chance to. Feel free to send me anything that is not on the following -
Boy, October, War, The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, Zooropa or Pop.

COBL mind if i add you to my hotmail?

blahblahblah said:
I'd be up for the Boston Fly in MP3 form if anyone's offering, I can't find my Boston DVD anywhere!!! :ohmy:

what is your e-mail?

COBL_04 said:

I have b-sides and live tracks. Lots and lots of b-sides and live tracks.

Except I don't really use MSN much any more. I may jump on soon, though.

Axver said:

I have b-sides and live tracks. Lots and lots of b-sides and live tracks.

Except I don't really use MSN much any more. I may jump on soon, though.

In that case i would like your msn/AIM dear sir:wink:

LJT said:

In that case i would like your msn/AIM dear sir:wink:

Tell me your AIM. Heh, it's just easier that way, trust me.

Last edited:
hey LJT or anyone else willing to send, I would love that version of The Fly. :)

swimmerchikpdq@mail.com

"U2...they're alright. The lyrics are good, but the guitarwork is crap. It's all studio effects"

-said by the guy I like :sad:

"U2, huh? Are you sure that's not Bono? I think U2 were much better before Bono joined the band. Are you sure they're from Ireland?"

-said by my dad, he's such a smartass. :laugh:

Axver said:

Tell me your AIM. Heh, it's just easier that way, trust me.

heh okie dokes i am Riverseo:wink:

Last edited:
Axver said:

Tell me your AIM.
edited the edited quote :tongue:

Actually I heard some doozies on another forum a little while ago. I think the most asinine one was that "Bono obviously doesn't like Hollywood and getting attention or being recognized ( :der: :confused: :lmao: ), that is why he moved to Ireland".

:scratch:

Back
Top Bottom