Bashing "Bald" Edge and Then U2? Hmmm...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JaraU2

Babyface
Purely by chance, I came across this article. Let's see if I can do this link correctly...

It's on VH-1's page.

The article first rants about balding men shaving their heads. It transitions into Edge's wearing of a beanie. Fair enough. Some people don't like hats or shaved heads. However, instead of ending there, this person, Bob Lefsetz, rants on and on about how bad "Pop" and the PopMar tour were and now safe and boring ATYCLB was. He even says that we shouldn't argue with him - because he highly doubts we could sing more from this album than a few notes of "Beautiful Day."

Although I'm new here, I've read Interference a lot and I know that some of you agree with these sentiments. Some of you loathe "Pop" and others of you have felt ATYCLB was safe. However, I strongly disagree that ATYCLB was "safe." Nor do I feel U2 were resting on their laurels with this album. U2 did tons of experimentation in the 90's, well beyond that of any other artist out there, including Madonna. After all, would Madonna have made "OS1"? To me, ATYCLB represented yet another change for U2 - a reflection of what they were and where they are going. It's not a JT2 or AB2.

Anyway, I thought this article made for a good read and felt some of you might be interested in reading yet another lambasting of poor U2. ;)

This guy obviously doesn't know what he's writing about because the title of his rant is about bald people, but about half a page of that and it turns into a rant about U2. Then after a page of U2 he begins going on about Remy Zero. Seems to me like he's just rambling about a bunch of nothing. He's so stuck in his own point of view that he contantly says that there is no way you can argue with him about anything he says. I mean, if you want to be credible at least be honest enough to admit there are other views to an issue. Anyway, he's just some guy who's probablt balding himself and needs some attention so he'll go blast U2 and some other people like Billy Corgan and people will read his drivle.

For the record, I love POP and ATYCLB has a special place in me even if it's not necessarily my favorite album. Oh yeah, and I can sing more than few bars of Beautiful Day :wink:

I don't think this guy takes himself too seriously. Some of what he wrote was pretty humorous. Let's all take it with a grain of salt. Nothing to get upset about.

Achtung Zooropa said:
This guy obviously doesn't know what he's writing about because the title of his rant is about bald people, but about half a page of that and it turns into a rant about U2. Then after a page of U2 he begins going on about Remy Zero. Seems to me like he's just rambling about a bunch of nothing. He's so stuck in his own point of view that he contantly says that there is no way you can argue with him about anything he says.

LMAO!! Exactly! What a crap piece of writing.

And that's crap that he's labeled people with shaved heads as "not being comfortable with their bodies." I mean, if he's gonna say that, then he might as well start criticizing people dye their hair or wear make-up. My God. What an ignorant dumbass!:lol:

Thanks for the link, that was good for a laugh!

:madspit: Sometimes I think that "freedom of Press" is a mistake. Any yahoo can go out there and say something completely stupid and uninformed. ATYCLB rocks, Pop and Popmart rock, and this person obviously doesn't know their arse from their elbow!

up in arms

Mulholland Drive said:
I don't think this guy takes himself too seriously. Some of what he wrote was pretty humorous. Let's all take it with a grain of salt. Nothing to get upset about.

don't discredit the defenders of U2:p

I really don't like how he said that it was okay for a black man to shave his head but not a white man because it was a "black man's thing". To me, thats like saying, it's okay for a white man to drive to fast but if a black man drives to fast it's not okay.

How was ATYCLB safe? They took a big chance and they knew it. They were very afraid of what might happen and felt blessed by the success. If they wanted to go with what was popular, they'd have done a rock rap or teen pop type record. ATYCLB was very different from anything else on the radio at its time- kind of like everything else U2 has ever done??!!

Desire4Bono said:
How was ATYCLB safe? They took a big chance and they knew it. They were very afraid of what might happen and felt blessed by the success. If they wanted to go with what was popular, they'd have done a rock rap or teen pop type record. ATYCLB was very different from anything else on the radio at its time- kind of like everything else U2 has ever done??!!

:up: So true!

When people refer to ATYCLB as "safe," you can usually find me doing this...:scratch: :huh: :scratch: And it IS different from anything they've done!

I did a little research on the man who wrote this. His favorite bands from the seventies: The Eagles and Aerosmith. His favorite song from the Nineties: Walking on the Sun. Make your own judgements.

MAP

The reason I posted this link was for the same reason many of you have already stated. First, this person rambles on about baldness. O.K., I can get a little teasing of the Edge about his hat. After all, Edge even wore his cap at his wedding. :D But I hardly expected this to launch into a discussion of U2's current music. What has one got to do with the other? Does a hat-free Edge make better music than a capped Edge? :lol: If so, then this writer needs to be reminded that Edge wore a hat for some of UF, all of JT and R&H and a cap for AB. Also, it would be difficult to convince me that in the 15 years since JT, Edge hasn't improved dramatically as a guitarist.

I realize that much of what this person wrote was tongue-in-cheek. As such, his silly comments about shaved heads being a "black man's thing" can slide. However, he appeared to be very serious regarding his U2 discussion. I wonder - what exactly did he want from U2? They experimented with AB, Zooropa, OS1 and Pop. In his mind, Pop wasn't that good - but one can't dismiss the fact that U2 experimented on that album nonetheless. After a decade (!!) of experimentation, U2 decided to chill on the effects and write more traditional songs. Does writing something more traditional necessarily imply safe? And on what other album have U2 placed songs like the simple, rough-voiced "In a Little While"? Where else has U2 put on an acoustic song like "Wild Honey"? Those weren't exactly "safe" ideas to me.

When I first heard "Beautiful Day" I never dreamed it would be the huge success it proved to be. And in fact, if y'all remember, "Beautiful Day" struggled a bit in the U.S. before finally catching on. Here's a song that sounds like nothing out there at the time, but it does have a more traditional U2 feel to it. Does sounding like one's self make something safe? That is, should we be reprimanded for doing what we do best? To me, experimentation for the sake of experimentation is just as bad, if not worse, as playing "safe." Had U2 created another wild, experimental album because that's what they felt the *had* to do, then I would have been disappointed. As artists, I want U2 to create what inspires them at that particular moment in time. Not all fans will want to go along for the ride - as with "Pop." But at least U2 are doing what they want as artists.

Anyway, this writer's (*cough* - writer? ha!) e-mail is on the side of the page. I'm sure he'd love some letters. ;)

Last edited:
does a day go by where we don't lambaste an individual who has written some silly piece about U2? aren't you tired yet?

frankie goes to hollywood:
relax, don't do it

Ha ha, anyone who hates bald heads and Pop can't be all bad LOL!;)

I do disagree with his comments on their latest work though. He really isn't very informed to be writing on the band.

kobayashi said:
does a day go by where we don't lambaste an individual who has written some silly piece about U2? aren't you tired yet?

Who's lambasting? :D

And in this case, I thought it was also a silly article too. Poor bald Edge. ;)

*decides to lambast kobayashi instead - new hobby. :lol:

Salome said:

I also bash bald Edge though

Do you bash Edge for being bald or for wearing a cap and being bald? :sexywink: Or are you just mean and wicked and enjoy bashing Edge, regardless of the state of his follicles? ;)

Billy Corgan wasnt going bald at al (not that it matters)l, but pictures of him just before he started shaving his head showed he had a complete, full head of hair, the guy was only about 27 when he started shaving his head for christs sake!

wanderer, it just shows that the writer didn't really have his facts straight. i'm not sure whether his writing was tongue-in-cheek, serious, or a little of both.

all i can say is that i hope the article was just a joke, otherwise he's really making vh1 look even worse than they already are.

well I just skimmed through the article a little bit, I suspect his tongue is planted firmly in cheek, but next to his foot

it's a weak attempt at satire, his material is pretty lame

LOL what a weird article!

Well not approving on the "Edge hat" is one thing, but not liking U2 is another - and he just mixed it up.

Doesn't he know that Edge appears on Pop booklet without the hat - next to the lyrics for Staring at the sun - and he also appears in the video to SATS without the hat. I don't think he'd do that if he was really that uncomfortable with his hair
(it's not like he's all bald yet anyway).

;) Besides just think of Kojak, or Sean Connery who have little or no hair and are very famous!

The Wanderer said:
well I just skimmed through the article a little bit, I suspect his tongue is planted firmly in cheek, but next to his foot

it's a weak attempt at satire, his material is pretty lame
hehe, which is exactly what i was thinking. very lame.

After reading all of these comments about bald guys I'm beginning to understand the mentality of a lot of people (Wertsie, Shine Like Stars, and Gypsy Heart Girl) ; i.e. Bald is unattractive.

I mean, really....How DARE Edge even think about taking off the hat?! What is he crazy? He should get a toupee or something, he should do anything but be bald! It's a crime, a travesty, a shame to humanity.

I hope that everyone who made a anti-baldheaded remark will loose all of their hair and see things from the other side. Then maybe I'd agree with your comments.

I do admit that I would rather see Edge with a hat, or even a wig, than his balding head. He just looks so old and sad. Some like his baldness, I know Discoteque is a fan of it. Not every balding guy looks old but Edge does, and the head coverings make him appear younger and cuter.

I do feel sorry for guys who lose their hair. Though it doesn't run in my family and I have no balding relatives on either side, most of my brother's friends have all lost their hair, some as young as 22. It's sad that some lose their hair when they want it, and some have it waste it. What I really don't like is a guy who has a full head of hair and shaves it way down to stubble. I think when some of these skinhead teenagers we see now are older, maybe even 22, and start losing their hair they're going to wish they enjoyed it while they still had it! I just prefer longer hair, yes, even if it's balding on top. One of my brother's friends has long hair in back and is totally slick bald on top. He calls his look the 'skullet!'

ummmmm.....Sounds like the same journalist who wrote, back when the Joshua Tree was released, that the Joshua Tree Record was "without" in comparison to U2's previous work. That journalist was clueless, as this one appears to be. Some of these musical journalist really make me laugh. I mean, you can't get upset about it really, U2 has earned their "good"........correction: GREAT reputation as a rock band both in melodies and lyrics. It's going to take alot more than some amature writer to successfuly knock them down, or even get people to question what they write at this point. The only one's who may take any of this garbage into consideration, would the one who has never heard of or listened to U2....That means this journalist's article really was aimed at those who are also clueless about U2. Just my take on this one........

"The real crime is the music press..you can say what you want, but you better not believe it."
Bono in November of 1984

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom