Barak's annoucement theme song today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^^ For one, he voted against the war.

Obama has been a solid liberal, both in his early career as a community organizer and then as a local politician. In the Illinois State Senate he supported increased funding for healthcare and education and wrote bills to publicly finance judicial campaigns and create a state earned-income tax credit. His charisma, intellect and ability to build bipartisan coalitions were evident early in his career, fueling progressives' high hopes for him. In the US Senate, for the most part he has stuck with his party on key votes when so-called moderates didn't. For example, Obama voted against the corporate-written Central American Free Trade Agreement. And he was particularly outspoken after Hurricane Katrina, leading the charge among lawmakers demanding answers about the government's failure to protect New Orleans.

Do you want more???

also...
The "what has he done" other than make speeches..?," remarks could have been made 48 years ago (and were) by another smart charasmatic young star in the Democratic party. John F. Kennedy, who went on to prove that there was intelligence, drive, and ability behind his words. Many can deliver speeches, but few can write and deliver speeches with the vision and leadership ability that Kennedy had and Obama has now.
It is so amusing to me to listen to ney-sayers bash Obama for having done nothing to qualify him for the job of President of the United States. Of course, all Obama needs to do is read a paper now and then or a book and he would exceed the low expectation levels of the current office holder.

Great pics!!
I watched his announcement this mourning and when he was talking about "let this be the generation that eliminates war" and eliminates..several other things.. I can't remember verbatim but I thought then - that sounds like Bono. I had chills. and believe me it takes alot to give me chills from a politician.
I will admit I'm sincerely optimistis about this next election.

We won't get fooled again.

and before anyone says it: No, Bono did not invent the phrase - "Let this be the generation that eliminates extreme.." even though untill today I haven't heard anyone else say it. :heart:

I am Voting for Obama in '08!!!!
and not because of COBL

It's because we need a change, some one young and not some old politician.:rockon:

sue4u2 said:
Great pics!!
I watched his announcement this mourning and when he was talking about "let this be the generation that eliminates war" and eliminates..several other things.. I can't remember verbatim but I thought then - that sounds like Bono. I had chills. and believe me it takes alot to give me chills from a politician.
I will admit I'm sincerely optimistis about this next election.

We won't get fooled again.

and before anyone says it: No, Bono did not invent the phrase - "Let this be the generation that eliminates extreme.." even though untill today I haven't heard anyone else say it. :heart:
Barak is so inspiring, much like our beloved B man so it's no surprise hearing similar language fall from his lips! :)
:rockon: :applaud:

Glad to see peoples votes might be influenced by who uses a U2 song :rolleyes:

No matter what level his speech-giving abilities are at, that won't help him when the time comes to make important decisions about the War on Terror. I live in Illinois, and I havent felt the slightest effect of anything he has done in Washington. He may have good intentions and care about America greatly, and thats wonderful, but you need more than that to run the place. He needs to gain more experience, and live in Washington long enough to know see and hear how everything goes on. Not to mention, the guy needs to grow some balls and learn to take comments made about his ears.

I think if Giuliani plays his cards right, he can win somewhat easily. :up:

Well the rest of the world can't vote but we definitely have an opinion on who we want to win and I think that Hilary, Obama, and Edwards are a win win situation any way you put it. I'd love to see Clinton win and have either of the other two as her running mate. Things are really going to be looking good for the States in a couple years. You have to prevent that nutcase McCain from winning though.

2861U2 said:
Glad to see peoples votes might be influenced by who uses a U2 song :rolleyes:

No matter what level his speech-giving abilities are at, that won't help him when the time comes to make important decisions about the War on Terror. I live in Illinois, and I havent felt the slightest effect of anything he has done in Washington.

Excuse me? Obviously you think Obama is intelligent, right? So how can that not be a factor when making enormous decisions that effect millions of people?? I guess you mean that if he isn't a WAR-Monger then he isn't tough enough to hold the office. That's crap. It takes a bigger man or woman anyday to lay down a gun than to pick one up if you ask me. War is an act of cowardice.

And you think GWB is a genius I suppose, getting us into an illegal war that has killed and mamed hundreds of thousands of innocent people ....for what??? That's brilliant man! Great way to think.

Oh and if you hadn't noticed the REPUBS have had control of CONGRESS for the last 2yrs Obama has been in the Senate. Control = power... nuff said. Go look at his voting record... it's stellar.

Jeannieco said:

And you think GWB is a genius I suppose, getting us into an illegal war that has killed and mamed hundreds of thousands of innocent people ....for what??? That's brilliant man! Great way to think.

Yes, I do think he is very qualified to lead our country right now and I love the fact that he has the guts to go after evil-doers. This war is not illegal, it is necessary. We have killed or captured hundreds of terrorists and the world is clearly a safer place. Saddam is out of power, Afghanisthan is a peace-loving, election-holding nation now, and Iraq will be soon. Every life lost (including soldiers and innocent Iraqi civilians) is tragic, but the end justifies the means. Turn off Keith Olbermann.

I'm curious to know what you think Obama would do right now in Iraq, and with the progressing situations in Iran, etc. Be specific. No "he would take charge and do the right thing and be better than bush" nonsense.

2861U2 said:

Yes, I do think he is very qualified to lead our country right now and I love the fact that he has the guts to go after evil-doers. This war is not illegal, it is necessary. We have killed or captured hundreds of terrorists and the world is clearly a safer place. Saddam is out of power, Afghanisthan is a peace-loving, election-holding nation now, and Iraq will be soon. Every life lost (including soldiers and innocent Iraqi civilians) is tragic, but the end justifies the means. Turn off Keith Olbermann.

I'm curious to know what you think Obama would do right now in Iraq, and with the progressing situations in Iran, etc. Be specific. No "he would take charge and do the right thing and be better than bush" nonsense.

Respectfully, I cannot believe you are serious and I really don't want to waste my energy here but I have to reply even though I know it's to no avail.

The war not illegal? You're joking right??
Kofi Annan ( do you even know who that is?) said this:

" The United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan has told the BBC the US-led invasion of Iraq was an illegal act that contravened the UN charter.
He said the decision to take action in Iraq should have been made by the Security Council, not unilaterally. "

Plus we violated the Geneva Convention, on top of going against the United Nations charter, it's on the record. Why do you think the rest of the world hates us now?? Look it up.

How is GWB qualified to lead the country? He's been a total disaster from day 1. Forget about the war look at our country. The deficit, Katrina, no health care, the poverty level is rising while the rich get richer. Jobs are going overseas, plants are shutting down... OH but wait WALMART is hiring! Great man!! The economy is just great if McDonalds has a job for you. If that's your definition of success I feel sorry you.

I don't watch Olbermann by the way. And you don't have to tell me who you watch. I know where you get your kool-aid. :)

As far as what Barak would do about the war, .obviously you didn't listen to his speech today. ( You should, really!! go to cnn.com)
From cnn.com:
He called the Iraq war a "tragic mistake" and said, "It's time to admit that no amount of American lives can resolve the political disagreement that lies at the heart of someone else's civil war. That's why I have a plan that will bring our combat troops home by March of 2008.
"Letting the Iraqis know that we will not be there forever is our last, best hope to pressure the Sunni and Shia to come to the table and find peace," he said

Bush created a hell hole that has no end. But wait it's really Clinton's fault right?

Last edited:
Jeannieco said:

How is GWB qualified to lead the country? He's been a total disaster from day 1. Forget about the war look at our country. The deficit, Katrina, no health care, the poverty level is rising while the rich get richer. Jobs are going overseas, plants are shutting down... OH but wait WALMART is hiring! Great man!! The economy is just great if McDonalds has a job for you. If that's your definition of success I feel sorry you.

Bush created a hell hole that has no end. But wait it's really Clinton's fault right?

Excuse me? Iraq has not been a disaster since day one. Things arent going great at the moment, no, but when we first came we were praised. Do you recall the celebrations of the Iraqis when we toppled Saddam's statue and when we finally found him? As far as the deficit and economy goes, the deficit has been cut in half over the past 3 years, the economy is booming, and unemployment is down. Where on earth do you get that the economy is bad?

And no, Iraq has nothing to do with Clinton. Clinton did have something to do with Bin Laden, on the other hand...

phanan said:

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what George W. Bush has ever done.

Record budget defecit increases.

He loves the charge card. Let the children pay for it.

Bush hates kids.

Last edited:
Holy shit, politics in EYKIW!

Take it to FYM, this is too much serious-type talk for this forum!

:uhoh:

phanan said:

yeah and look what a disaster that turned out to be

pointing out similiarities to bush probably isnt a good thing

corianderstem said:
Holy shit, politics in EYKIW!

Take it to FYM, this is too much serious-type talk for this forum!

:uhoh:

:eek: :no:

OMG acronym!!! HTDAAB >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ATYCLB!!!!

Whew...now I feel better. :)

defensive much?

Look up Obamas history pre-illinois. Dont cram him down peoples throats just because youve heard a few speeches and praise him a bit more because he used a song from a band that a majority of the population is into. Politics are too much for some people. Heres something from u2, maybe ill get some followers: Nothing's as simple as you think.

phanan said:

Well unfortunately we know now what he HAS done :| What had he done before 2000? Oh yeah, something about an oil company that did kinda poorly and some bad baseball decisions. Oh I guess he was a Governor or something..wow, and look where that experience led him.

What had Bill Clinton done? Generally seen as a very good President (scandals notwithstanding), even by some Republicans! He came from obscurity to do so.

The whole use of the song is on his site

http://www.barackobama.com/#

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom